Hydrogenated Coconut Oil

freal

In supermarket they sell cubes like butter of coconut fat or oil and on the packaging it says mixture of non-hydrogenated and hydrogenated coconut oil?

Whats with hydrogenated coconut oil?

marcar72

What gets hydrogenated is the PUFA and MUFA's of the oil. Hydrogenation makes the oil 100% saturated fat or close to it. Hydrogenated coconut oil would stay solid at a higher room temperature than non hydrogenated would. Some people would prefer that to meet their cooking needs. (cookies, pies, etc that stay intact in the summer for instance)

Hydrogenated coconut oil is still a trans fat even though it may not be as detrimental to health as the other trans fats made out of vegetable oils since it's mostly saturated to begin with. Most people on this board would advise to pass it up. I'd imagine if one was needing a high room temp. stable fat to bake with, one could use ghee. :2cents

Ben

RP said he would prefer to eat hydrogenated oils than drink PUFAs. They are bad for the heart, but aren't as toxic as PUFAs are. Coconut oil doesn't have a lot of fats that can still be hydrogenated, so the trans fat content of hydrogenated coconut oil isn't as high as that of other hydrogenated oils. It has the benefit of removing the remainder of the PUFAs from coconut oil, but I don't know whether the adverse effects of the trans fat would outweigh the positives of that. I would be curious to what RP's opinion is on this. What is the brand called?

BingDing

Does the label say what percentage of fats are saturated? If it is 100% saturated it is probably good. From what I've read when they hydrogenate an oil the catalyst that adds hydrogen atoms to the unsaturated fats then takes some hydrogen atoms off. When the double bond reforms the trans configuration is a lower energy level than the natural cis configuration so that is what gets produced. Trans fats are unsaturated. I don't know if it's possible to produce a 100% hydrogenated fat, if it's possible I'd think it would be healthy since it couldn't be oxidized. In the US you see labels, especially in candy, that say "partially hydrogenated (such and such) oil", which means trans fat for sure.

OP
F

freal

Ben said:
RP said he would prefer to eat hydrogenated oils than drink PUFAs. They are bad for the heart, but aren't as toxic as PUFAs are. Coconut oil doesn't have a lot of fats that can still be hydrogenated, so the trans fat content of hydrogenated coconut oil isn't as high as that of other hydrogenated oils. It has the benefit of removing the remainder of the PUFAs from coconut oil, but I don't know whether the adverse effects of the trans fat would outweigh the positives of that. I would be curious to what RP's opinion is on this. What is the brand called?

Well there are actually many brands, mostly the supermarket coconut fats packed in cubes like butter and here in Europe, not US.

I told the brands over at the german version of raypeatforum. They are PALMIN,CERES and Aldi(Hofer) Nusset.

Nighteyes

[moderator edit: posts moved from Fully Hydrogenated Coconut Oil Source ]

I am still in doubt whether the benefits of no PUFA in the oil outweigh the potencial trans-fats that hydrogenation produces. Any decent arguments for and against hydrogenated coconut oil?

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent207

And the purpose of this is? a few mg less of pufa on your meals??

Those products I bet they are manufactured with the worst and residual sources of the coconut oil industry, for refining; which I guess it alters the oil properties even more, resulting in much more detrimental output than what some milligrams of pufa can do.

I tend to avod pufas, but see this complicating things unnecessarily.

Nighteyes

Agent207 said:
post 112053 And the purpose of this is? a few mg less of pufa on your meals??

Actually for me the product was of interest due to an attractive price.. but I still think the debate of hydrogenated coconut oil is quite interesting. I see your point about manufacturing being a big part of product quality - I guess it is hard to know for sure the exact quality of the product

Philomath

In one of the Herb Dr's interviews Dr. Peat said he would prefer fully hydrogenated coconut oil.

I emailed him details of a local supplier in Chicago. Here was his reply:

Thanks, I’ll try it.

On Mar 29, 2015, at 9:14 AM
Dr. Peat,
In one of your most recent interviews you mentioned a desire to find someone to ship hydrogenated coconut oil. Below is a link to an oil company that sells and ships it. The shipping for a 7lb jug seems reasonable. The oil company has a division that sells oils for soap making - maybe there's a similar soap supplier near you.
But the way, I've bought and used their coconut and MCT oils without issue.
Hope this helps!

http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaper ... _zip=97701

Agent207

Just loading that page my first instinct would be run the hell away from it and don't look back LOL

I think Mr.Peat is sooooo permissive and considerate with processing and manufacturing on industrial food. I think he's kinda like he was living 50 years ago where everything was more natural; today almost everything is full of hidden traps to maximize sells and profits.

Kasper

I thought that trans fatty acids are the worst of all fatty acids. What is the reasoning here? Or trans fatty acids believed to have health benefits?

Koveras

"Just a clarification on fully hydrogenated coconut oil. This is used in experiments because it is the only fat that can be fully hydrogenated and still be soft enough to eat–because the fatty acids are short. If you fully hydrogenate lard, it will be hard as a rock, even at room temperature.

Full hydrogenation just produces saturated fatty acids–partial hydrogenation produces trans fats. So technically fully hydrogenated fats are not such a bad thing, they are just saturated fatty acids (usually esterified with unsaturated fatty acids). But of course, there will be lots of impurities and chemicals from the processing, so this begs the question of why not just eat regular saturated fats.

Fully hydrogenated coconut oil was developed so researchers could test fatty acid deficiency. . . . not the effects of saturated fats. If the only fat given to rats or mice is fully hydrogenated coconut oil, researchers can bring on EFA deficiency. Today most researchers don’t have a clue about what the product was developed for, and fully hydrogenated coconut oil is sold and used in all sorts of experiments that have nothing to do with fatty acid deficiency."

Fat, Diabetes, and “Sinister Involvement in Wikipedia”

milk_lover

Is hydrogenated CO really that superior to refined coconut oil? I was thinking the other day about ordering Nutiva refined CO off amazon.

schultz

Is hydrogenated oil the same as transfat which is featured as the devil?

No, the trans that people associate with hydrogenation tend to occur in the partially hydrogenated seed type oils. Since they are high in PUFA to begin with, alot of the fats turn into trans fat. If the seed oil was fully hydrogenated then it would have no trans fat, but the melting point would likely be very high and this is why they tend to only partially hydrogenate them.

EDIT: you guys posted quicker than me :(

Philomath

It sounds like Fully Hydrogenated oil is the "most beneficial / least harmful" of the fats. The more hydrogenated, the more single bonds and the fewer oxidizing double bonds. The problem is in how they are defined or labeled.

From the "project well-being" website:

Saturated fat has zero trans fat.

Trans fat and cis fat require at least one double bond, and there are no double bonds in saturated fat.

As hydrogenation of unsaturated oils begins, some of the double bonds are reduced to saturated (single) bonds, and some are interconverted between cis and trans form. In a free radical environment, cis and trans fats interconvert, with trans fats being a bit more stable than the cis fats. So oxidizing conditions (heating fat in air for frying foods) and reducing conditions (hydrogenation) can both produce trans fats. But when hydrogenation is taken to completion, there are no double bonds left, and no cis fat and no trans fat. Zero. Nada. Even if there was trans fat to start with, there is no trans fat left at the end. Even if it was 100% trans fat at the beginning, it is zero trans fat at the end.

But what if the hydrogenation is not taken to completion?

Then there are trans fats. This is “partial hydrogenation.” The trans configuration of double bonds is energetically and entropically favored over the cis configuration. Commercially, hydrogenation is rarely taken to completion. So if it doesn’t say “fully hydrogenated,” it probably isn’t. Then again, even if it does, it might not be.

The FDA deliberately corrupted the regulations for labeling requirements on behalf of the food industry so that cholesterol, trans fats and other (supposedly) bad things can say zero on the label when it is not actually zero. As long as the amount can round down to zero based on the serving size, it can say zero on the label. And as long as the preservatives in the food were not added by the labeler, they can say “no preservatives,” which is short for “no preservatives added (by us).” Of course, the ingredients used to make the food under the label are usually fully preserved. So maybe “partially hydrogenated” can be shortened to “hydrogenated” and “fully hydrogenated” does not really mean 100% under FDA labeling regulations.

It’s a game of “out of sight, out of mind.” —Steve Fowkes