Hydrogenated Coconut Oil German/European Source

Mauritio

Someone posted this on another thread about hco :

"Some are refined by passing it through charcoal and diatomaceous earth which is the type you want.

I am loyal to Melrose refined coconut oil as it doesn't have a taste and comes in a glass jar.

I tried another coconut oil which didn't say refined but said low aroma and it smelled and tasted bad."

Do you know if palmin is made like that .

Also some people say some hco gets made by hexane ,which would be bad .

So I'm still not completely sold on the idea...

Mauritio

Also a good quote :
"refined and hydrogenated are two different things. Ray recommends the refined because it removes all the coconut leftover junk that may cause allergies if eaten for a longtime. The hydrogenated gets rid of the remaining PUFAs and can be done without hexane. I use an organic refined brand and have no problems. Maybe you just got a bad batch and could try another brand. I think the key takeaway is avoid "super cheap" food."

But is palmin refined or hydrogenated? And doesn't ray recommend hydrogenated which he uses himself?

boris

Yup Palmin is refined AND hydrogenated. And it has no taste or odor to it. They also sell it in glas jars if the plastic wrapping is a concern, but the glas jar variety is just refined, not hydrogenated. I haven‘t found a store yet that carries the jar version.

Mauritio

Yup Palmin is refined AND hydrogenated. And it has no taste or odor to it. They also sell it in glas jars if the plastic wrapping is a concern, but the glas jar variety is just refined, not hydrogenated. I haven‘t found a store yet that carries the jar version.

Do you know sth about the way they make it. Like with activated charcoal or hexane?

boris

Oh, no idea. I didn‘t know there different methods. I will look into it

Last edited:

boris

Can‘t find any info if hexane is used. My impression from a quick search is that some companies use hexane specifically to extract the oils.

Palmin website says it gets pressed to extract the oils and then „gently“ refined.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

Does 100% saturated hydrogenated coconut oil even exist? I've never seen it, the hydrogenation process makes it more saturated but not 100% saturated. If you want 100% saturation, get MCT oil.

Okay, good to know, thanks. I already have stearic acid and MCT's on hand.

Mauritio

Okay, good to know, thanks. I already have stearic acid and MCT's on hand.
Yeah I also bought some of it . And it has 97 Gramm saturated fat as opposed to 95 with regular coconut oil . So I wonder if the rest is pufa or mufa ...

OP
milkboi

milkboi

Yeah I also bought some of it . And it has 97 Gramm saturated fat as opposed to 95 with regular coconut oil . So I wonder if the rest is pufa or mufa ...

Yup, good question, I'm gonna try to find that out via E-Mail. Edit: E-Mail sent.

Mauritio

boris

Coconut oil sources and quality issues - Toxinless

Vegetaline and Palmin don‘t use hexane. It‘s both pressed. Personally I would trust Palmin more because they labtest their product and put the actual amount of saturated fat on the package, whereas Vegetaline claims 100% saturated on the package (which apparently is not possible).

According to the toxinless site Peat uses a hexane extracted brand.

@milkboi I can‘t imagine that there is PUFA left in hydrogenated coconut oil. The rest should be Omega-9 only. But I am curious as to what they reply!

Mauritio

Coconut oil sources and quality issues - Toxinless

Vegetaline and Palmin don‘t use hexane. It‘s both pressed. Personally I would trust Palmin more because they labtest their product and put the actual amount of saturated fat on the package, whereas Vegetaline claims 100% saturated on the package (which apparently is not possible).

According to the toxinless site Peat uses a hexane extracted brand.

@milkboi I can‘t imagine that there is PUFA left in hydrogenated coconut oil. The rest should be Omega-9 only. But I am curious as to what they reply!
Interesting ! Thanks for your research. I still can't believe that this hco is the better option ,yet everybody uses the more expensive version. I would guess that even on the forum don't know that. I didn't. I might switch though . Or take them both for different purposes.

Mauritio

The nore saturated the fat the better. Virgin coconut oil is 87% sfa whereas hydrogenated coconut oil is 98% sfa.
My normal unrefined coconut oil has 95 % sfa...
And 0.6 %of pufa the rest is mufa.

Last edited:

Mauritio