Hydration

OP
S

superhuman

Ari said:
For the salt, which is the easier of the two questions for me to answer, I just started sprinkling it on every food I ate until it tasted good, and then I would even eat it plain in between meals sometimes. Usually your taste buds will let you know how much salt you need. I used to avoid salt like it was a poison, but I slowly woke up to the fact that I was hurting myself that way. People used to go to war over salt back before it was so easily available. Also the phrase 'worth your salt'.

I'm not sure how long it took me to feel warmer after I added salt back into my diet. I do know though that if I feel cold now, I can warm myself up in a few meals time. So within a day. But it probably took me over a month to learn my body like that.

I consume as much as my taste buds tell me to these days. I don't really count how much that is, I just taste some salt and see if I want it. If I do, then I add it.

----

As for making the water harder, which is a tough question to answer, I would say that the water would need to end up having some calcium, magnesium, and sodium at the least. I am not sure how to get those in there. Maybe somewhere sells some sort of sport electrolyte pack? But really all of those things just imitate milk. I am lucky in that I have well water to drink from if I need water, but I avoid it. I can go without water if my diet is right. In fact I find that water usually messes with my digestion.

-----

So the main thing that puzzles me from your posts is that you are continuously thirsty. You know it could be a trained thing? I used to drink bottles of water a day, and leave them lying all over the floor etc, but I haven't recently, and I can't recall why I stopped.

Thanx a ton :) gonna keep you guys updated on how it goes after doing all these things. Yeah it could be a trained thing but its usually around meal times my thirst increases alot

Jenn

superhuman said:
Jenn said:
When I get a craving type thirsty, it's either msg or I have not actually digested what I ate yet. Water is a by product of digestion. Your kidneys do sometime use water to help maintain blood pressure in the absence of sufficient salt or aldesterone.

Thats very cool and interesting, im gonna pay attention to that and chew my food really really good. What is MSG ?

MSG=Mono Sodium Glutamate. Also causes headaches and other not fun reactions in some people, AKA "chinese restaurant" syndrome.

Ari

Yes i'm pretty sure that is true as well since your body when dehydrated would lose the ability to sweat and cool itself off that way.

Your urine is probably the best way to keep track of what is going on in your body in terms of fluids. Just keep experimenting until you learn all the signs and signals. I don't have it fully figured out myself.

Pretty sure clear urine can mean that you have either too much water (kidneys are dumping it), too little electrolytes (correct amount of fluid in body, but the balance is off), or have recently had a diuretic (blocks uptake of water by kidney via ADH blockers?)

Yellow colored urine is a sign that your body is 'running' I think as well, since the yellow color is created through some waste product of a broken down heme group from red blood cells.

When dehydrated the smell of urea (ammonia-ish) would be very present I think.

You might benefit from going out and buying and eating the biggest and saltiest meal you can find, just to see what happens. It's hard to add a lot of salt by hand for me after growing up my whole life believing it was bad, but a lot of these restaurant or fast food meals have 4000 or 5000 mg per portion. That would be around 2 tsp of salt.

chris

Last few days i've dramatically upped my salt intake and not changed anything else. It feels like I am going to the toilet more frequently than usual and the urine is quite clear. Is there any reason for this?

Mittir

chris said:
Last few days i've dramatically upped my salt intake and not changed anything else. It feels like I am going to the toilet more frequently than usual and the urine is quite clear. Is there any reason for this?

I can take only a small amount of salt in empty stomach. Even with food i have to limit salt. Here is a quote from RP

"When small animals were given a milliliter of a saturated salt solution with the carcinogen, the number of tumors was increased with the salt. However, when the salt was given with mucin, it had no cancer promoting effect. Since the large amount of a saturated salt solution breaks down the stomach’s protective mucus coating, the stomach cells were not protected from the carcinogen. Rather than showing that salt causes stomach cancer, the experiments showed that a cup or more of saturated salt solution, or several ounces of pure salt, shouldn’t be ingested at the same time as a strong carcinogen."

HDD

chris said:

Chris, are you still drinking tea? This might be having a diuretic effect.

HDD

If the basic problem in hypothyroidism is the deficient production of carbon dioxide causing excessive loss of salt and retention of water, resulting in hypo-osmotic body fluids, then we would expect people at high altitude to have better retention of salt, more loss of water, and more hypertonic body fluids. That has been observed in many studies. The increased rate of metabolism at altitude would be consistent with the relatively active "catabolism" of the slightly hyperosmotic condition
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/water.shtml

This article is very interesting and might have some correlation to what happened.

OP
S

superhuman

chris said:

wow that is awesome. how much salt did you increase it with? and how much salt are u taking a day now? how is your daily diet?

chris

superhuman said:
chris said:

wow that is awesome. how much salt did you increase it with? and how much salt are u taking a day now? how is your daily diet?

Which part was awesome? I went from pretty much 0 salt due to running out of "good" salt, to around 3+ tsps in a day. Diet is mainly milk, eggs, coffee and fruit but at the moment it is far from perfect.

OP
S

superhuman

chris said:
superhuman said:
chris said:

Which part was awesome? I went from pretty much 0 salt due to running out of "good" salt, to around 3+ tsps in a day. Diet is mainly milk, eggs, coffee and fruit but at the moment it is far from perfect.

The part where you increased y our salt inntake and your went to the toilet more frequently :) im struggling with some water retention and you often get the opposite advice to decrease salt and increase water to loose water but you did what Peat says and it worked so im gonna do that aswell.

When i increase my salt inntake i also get very thirsty tho wich isnt good :P

chris

superhuman said:
chris said:

The part where you increased y our salt inntake and your went to the toilet more frequently :)

Ha, I found it more irritating than awesome, running to the bathroom multiple times an hour.

Just an update, after stopping drinking tea but keeping salt consistent, the problem seems to have stopped.

OP
S

superhuman

The last few days i have made an effort to up my salt inntake to 1 tablespoon a day and really decrease my fluid inntake esp water. I can really feel tho that im giving myself a headache. Like i try to drink very litle even tho im thirsty at times since my urine is clear and im hypothyroid aswell. Is all the salt and to litle water the main cause of the headache and why does it happen?

chris

I am not sure, although if I were you I wouldn't deprive myself of liquid if I am thirsty. Also, I don't drink water, no (or low?) nutritional value, just oj and milk.

Ari

The headache means that you are dehydrated.

Why do headaches occur when someone is dehydrated? I don't really know, but this link has some answers: http://www.zocdoc.com/answers/6988/why- ... -headaches

Here is what Ray Peat has to say about thirst:

"Thirst is the best guide to the amount of fluid needed."

also

"The amount of water a person needs is extremely variable, depending on things such as metabolic rate, activity, and the temperature and humidity of the air. Working hard in hot, dry weather, it's possible to drink more than two quarts per hour for more than eight hours, without forming any urine, because all of the water is lost by evaporation."

If you are getting headaches, and are thirsty, then yes you should drink something.
Do you sweat a lot? Work outside?

The clear urine even while dehydrated isn't really a great sign. What is your diet like? Can you give a breakdown of what you eat on a typical day?

Also, diuretic things would double mess things up I would believe, since it would block reuptake of water from your kidneys (make you dehydrated, and make your pee more clear than it should be).

Diuretic things are alcohol, watermelon, tea, I think coffee as well? Some medicines too.

Make sure you double check everything you are putting in your body.

OP
S

superhuman

Ari said:
The headache means that you are dehydrated.

Why do headaches occur when someone is dehydrated? I don't really know, but this link has some answers: http://www.zocdoc.com/answers/6988/why- ... -headaches

Here is what Ray Peat has to say about thirst:

"Thirst is the best guide to the amount of fluid needed."

also

"The amount of water a person needs is extremely variable, depending on things such as metabolic rate, activity, and the temperature and humidity of the air. Working hard in hot, dry weather, it's possible to drink more than two quarts per hour for more than eight hours, without forming any urine, because all of the water is lost by evaporation."

If you are getting headaches, and are thirsty, then yes you should drink something.
Do you sweat a lot? Work outside?

The clear urine even while dehydrated isn't really a great sign. What is your diet like? Can you give a breakdown of what you eat on a typical day?

Also, diuretic things would double mess things up I would believe, since it would block reuptake of water from your kidneys (make you dehydrated, and make your pee more clear than it should be).

Diuretic things are alcohol, watermelon, tea, I think coffee as well? Some medicines too.

Make sure you double check everything you are putting in your body.

Thanx a ton bro :) i will make sure i get the right amount of salt 15 gram of 1 tablespoon and just drink fluid i want or crave :)

It depends on your body

If it's asking for water that means it needs water

Ray peat said somewhere
That some people needs one cup of water a day because they don't pee a lot or sweat a lot

And he was talking about those who work in the sun like me

That they have to drink lot of water

For example me I drink 8 liters a day

I drink when I'm thirsty
I follow my craving

So if you need it your body will ask for it

IMHO

Good luck bro

BibleBeliever

I noticed when I had a crazy thirsty feeling, I am actually craving sugar. This rarely happens now but when it does I increase my sugar for that time.
I notice this too. I first noticed it after intense training sessions. The thirst was unending, I could drink a liter or two. I believe this is tied to excessive HGH as well.
I noticed that if I consumed sugar instead of water the desire for water would go away.

Our bodies own cravings then can be distorted and trick us, which really sucks. I also believe Raypeat mentions too much water increases prolactin as well. It would dilute more minerals if urine is clear; more b-vitamins lost, more salt, sugar( if stressed), magnesium, zinc and so on. This then would lead to more thirst and the cycle would repeat until nutrients are replenished.