Humans May Be Hardwired For Altruism

Dopamine

Do you really think Ray Peat would talk about something without understanding it first ?

You are ignoring the reality of the meaning "will to power". Nietzsche spoke directly about war, violence, and immorality in a positive light. And a tone that he expressed like he was proud of his views; even bragging to the point that it was disturbing to continue to read in my opinion. Even you stated that there is no morality and it doesn't exist. Your quotes and the quotes I posted very clearly describe what he meant and he didn't mean it metaphorically, unfortunately. I once read short a biography of him and the author seem to stress that Nietzsche never had any experience in what he preach. He himself never went into the military for health reasons and yet spoke romantically about it. But anyways, the way he spoke and the theories he had were vile and unapologetic. Ray Peat understood completely what he said, and had the argument and evidence to back up his claims. I seriously doubt that he would ever say Nietzsche was in "solidarity" with his views and beliefs. Ray Peat believes in humanism, not in violent rhetoric that destroys humanity.

Ok you can live in your happy fantasy land where everything is bright and peachy... this is not reality. Nietzsche recognized the destructive and dark aspects of life just as well as the positive and creative aspects as you cannot have one without the other. One implys the other. He was a realist not an idealist. This is what is so appealing about him in my opinion. He was not afraid to get his hands dirty and stomp all over the metaphysical idealism of other philosophers.

There is morality however there are no universal moral standards we already discussed this.

Nietzsches views changed as he matured... he was not an anarchist nor a war monger-er despite what you may think. I used to view the military romantically as well... it is a stage many men go through as they search for meaning, identity, and role models. People change.

"violent rhetoric that destroys humanity"
"the way he spoke and the theories he had were vile and unapologetic"
If this is what you truly feel Nietzsches work and personality boils down too then it isn't even worth my time to argue with you... especially considering that you have never even given his work a fair chance. Don't be so close minded.

Do you really think Ray Peat would talk about something without understanding it first ?
I don't know... This is what you are doing with Nietzsches ideas... Maybe he did as well.

jaguar43

Ok you can live in your happy fantasy land where everything is bright and peachy... this is not reality. Nietzsche recognized the destructive and dark aspects of life just as well as the positive and creative aspects as you cannot have one without the other. One implys the other. He was a realist not an idealist. This is what is so appealing about him in my opinion. He was not afraid to get his hands dirty and stomp all over the metaphysical idealism of other philosophers.

There is morality however there are no universal moral standards we already discussed this.

Nietzsches views changed as he matured... he was not an anarchist nor a war monger-er despite what you may think. I used to view the military romantically as well... it is a stage many men go through as they search for meaning, identity, and role models. People change.

If this is what you truly feel Nietzsches work and personality boils down too then it isn't even worth my time to argue with you... especially considering that you have never even given his work a fair chance. Don't be so close minded.

This is what you are doing with Nietzsches ideas... People do it all the time without realizing it.

He wasn't saying that the world was a good place, he was saying that war, violence and immorality are GOOD/positive things. Two different ideas, and I never said that there wasn't bad things happening in the world. I said bragging about those things are vile. And its true, they are. It's disgusting how he spoke. Being a realist and justifying the bad things that are happening are two different ideologies.

Dopamine

He wasn't saying that the world was a good place, he was saying that war, violence and immorality are GOOD/positive things. Two different ideas, and I never said that there wasn't bad things happening in the world. I said bragging about those things are vile. And its true, they are. It's disgusting how he spoke. Being a realist and justifying the bad things that are happening are two different ideologies.

The world is neither a good nor evil place despite what you may think. It is what it is.

I would look into Nietzsches conception of egoism, he wasn't really an immoralist he just believed that each individual should find what makes them strong and flourish... not to blindly follow moral ideologies imposed from outside. Here is a good read:
http://scholarworks.gsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1029&context=philosophy_theses

J

jb116

hey @Dopaminergic096 I wont be posting on this forum much any more, let alone this thread.
But I will be getting my ideas about wtp as I discussed here plus more on my own site in the near future, if you or anybody else is interested.

Dopamine

hey @Dopaminergic096 I wont be posting on this forum much any more, let alone this thread.
But I will be getting my ideas about wtp as I discussed here plus more on my own site in the near future, if you or anybody else is interested.

I would definitely be interested! send a message when you get your site going

Drareg

Nietzsche is at best a plagiarist of philosophical concepts from millennia ago.

Its incredible that you both can't see the flaws in your understanding of will to power, you are being mocked by Nietzsche with will to power.
You are both behaving like the people Nietzsche criticised.

The questions you both won't answer are there in this thread for anyone to see, doperminergic in particular has done his utmost to derail the thread because of the questions you can't answer, it's a poor attempt to save face.
It seems pointless to engage people if you won't answer clear questions that point out obvious contradictions and behaviour that is similar to dogma and blind faith in Nietzsches opinion, in particular when we see how the thread veered once you both were cornered with said questions.

Your behaving like kids who are taking their ball home because we pointed out the obvious ,you don't have a ball, it's just a discussion.

Dopamine

Nietzsche is at best a plagiarist of philosophical concepts from millennia ago.

Its incredible that you both can't see the flaws in your understanding of will to power, you are being mocked by Nietzsche with will to power.
You are both behaving like the people Nietzsche criticised.

The questions you both won't answer are there in this thread for anyone to see, doperminergic in particular has done his utmost to derail the thread because of the questions you can't answer, it's a poor attempt to save face.
It seems pointless to engage people if you won't answer clear questions that point out obvious contradictions and behaviour that is similar to dogma and blind faith in Nietzsches opinion, in particular when we see how the thread veered once you both were cornered with said questions.

Your behaving like kids who are taking their ball home because we pointed out the obvious ,you don't have a ball, it's just a discussion.

I am trying to see both sides of the argument... Peats perspective and Nietzsches perspective. I have read the work of both extensively. Neither are right or wrong however I will say that I feel Nietzsche has a better philosophical understanding and he is misunderstood by Peat. I am not dogmatically following Nietzsche. I am doing my best to create my own understanding... You have just criticized my perspective the whole time without providing your own and you haven't been receptive to any of the information I have tried to give you... I don't care what you think about Nietzsches work because you haven't even read any of it... I doubt Peat has either. I think I am done posting in this thread because I have nothing left to contribute and I am tired of trying to answer your questions the responses of which you ignore anyways. Peace out!

The fact that you have argued this long about Nietzsche shows me that you are at least interested in his work. I encourage you to give one of his books a read.

Last edited:

Drareg

I am trying to see both sides of the argument... Peats perspective and Nietzsches perspective. I have read the work of both extensively. Neither are right or wrong however I will say that I feel Nietzsche has a better philosophical understanding and he is misunderstood by Peat. I am not dogmatically following Nietzsche. I am doing my best to create my own understanding... You have just criticized my perspective the whole time without providing your own and you haven't been receptive to any of the information I have tried to give you... I don't care what you think about Nietzsches work because you haven't even read any of it... I doubt Peat has either. I think I am done posting in this thread because I have nothing left to contribute and I am tired of trying to answer your questions the responses of which you ignore anyways. Peace out!

People can view this thread for themselves and see clear what was put to you.
You have no understanding but blind dogmatic like faith, your behaviour from your earlier posts shows this.
You have many contardictions in your dogmatic believe in will to power made clear.

Both of you now behave like classic Nietzsche disciples, attempt to create the illusion of taking the high road as means to dodge the blatantly obvious contradictions in your views.
To not even discuss the golden mean in depth and behave the way you both have shows your rigidity.

Why label Ray Peat with similar views to Nietzsche when It's clear many philosophers will have similar views, Peat incorporates many scientific discoveries into his understanding, the fact you still try to bring Nietzsche along with Peat is your rigid diciple like view of Nietzsche at work.
There is a reason why mind and tissue has not inspired or will inspire psychopathic dictators.

You want to use your interpretation of Nietzsche as a foil for your attitude to the world, the problem is your interpretation could not be more wrong, Nietzsche is mocking your very behaviour.

Drareg

This video and comments are an example of the cliche Nietzsche disciple. Using a personal interpretation of Nietzsche while ignoring the obvious contradictions in what he is proselytising. He contradicts himself within the first few sentences but carries on anyway to explain all.
Observe the tone of the video, the background music, the tone of the individuals voice etc. It's a forced upper class tone no to create the illusion of ? Take a guess.

The comments are hilarious, it's along the lines of we get the will to power and nobody else does, They can't explain it but they get it.

Samya

I'm trying to find the Generative Energy podcast where Ray is talking about altruism and how it realtes to metabolism, can anyone point me in the right direction?

-Luke-

I'm trying to find the Generative Energy podcast where Ray is talking about altruism and how it realtes to metabolism, can anyone point me in the right direction?
This one?

From 1:08:35 on

Samya

Thanks, I found that one but don't think it was the one I'm looking for. Will update when I come across it...

Back
Top Bottom