Humans Generate Vitamin C Via Their Gut Microbes?

EnoreeG

OP
E

EnoreeG

Amazoniac said:
I just skimmed the study, but where does it mentions about vit C?

Thanks for pointing this out Amazoniac. I referenced that article because it was the "scientific" reference in another article (see below) I read on vitamin C. I didn't take a lot of care to skim my cited article for "vitamin C". It happens to use the term "ascorbate" instead. If I had known the 2 articles used different terms, I would have pointed that out.

The vitamin C article from which I happened on this study is:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/germs-help-body-produce-vitamin-c-breakthrough-discovery

It resulted from some conversations between Sayer JI, the producer of "GreenMedInfo" website articles, and Stephanie Seneff, who is best known for revelations of the damage done to gut microbes, and thus our bodies, from glyphosate consumption. I recommend checking this article also for some additional information.

Amazoniac

You really like this website, don't you? A lot of your post come from there..
At least we have to give a credit nowadays for articles that discuss GI microbes without mentioning that they outnumber us by a factor of 10, and so we are more microbes than humans. This has spread like an infection!

But why lactic acid and bifidobacterium? She mentioned an odd strain that I've never heard before.

OP
E

EnoreeG

Amazoniac said:
You really like this website, don't you? A lot of your post come from there..
At least we have to give a credit nowadays for articles that discuss GI microbes without mentioning that they outnumber us by a factor of 10, and so we are more microbes than humans. This has spread like an infection!

But why lactic acid and bifidobacterium? She mentioned an odd strain that I've never heard before.

Which website? How do you find out all the references one member makes to one website? I just did a search on the forum with the text "http://www.greenmedinfo.com/" which should be the root web address, and my citation was only 1 of 3 that showed up. The other 2 were not myself. So you must be using a different method than I know of.

I don't get your last question. On odd strains though, I think there are so many genera of microbes that most of them would be one's we've never heard of before.

mt_dreams

Sayer Ji over at greenmed does a decent job trying to break through the dogmas of health. Although I don't utilize his site much anymore, he's at least trying.

I would imagine most people in the Peat sphere are getting enough Vitamin C, especially if they supplementing with Vit E.

most of the corynebacterium strains have not really been put at any use, both from a scientific standpoint, and as a marketable strain for supplements.

Probiotics are one of the most profitable frontiers out there in the health conscious sector of society. Writing an article like this, about a new strain & it's potential effect on the body, is a sure-fire way to get people's attention. Within the next couple of years, we will probably start hearing the phrase "there's a strain for that", as this market is just beginning.

OP
E

EnoreeG

Amazoniac said:
Lactobacillus and bifidobacterium are involved in the manufacture of many compounds mentioned in the study, but not the strain involved in manufacturing vit C. Or am I missing something?

I think the only thing you might have missed is Sayer Ji's assertion that he himself searched in his database and found that particular strain that produces vitamin C, and knows that the same microbe has been found in humans. You would have to read his article to see that. He said about the Current Opinion in Biotechnology article: "Unfortunately, the paper did not discuss the methodological details as to how exactly they uncovered this fact." so he did his own search to see what he could find. The scientific study he quoted only stated that vitamin C was being produced.

If you happened to subscribe to Sayer Ji's GreenMedInfo, or read their "about us" you would find out that the whole website is a research tool allowing associations of studies to subjects.

GreenMedInfo said:
GreenMedInfo.com exists in order to provide convenient and open access to the biomedical research available today on the therapeutic value of natural substances in disease prevention and treatment.* Our website and video-based learning site GreenMedTV.com provides physicians, health care practitioners, clinicians, researchers and the layperson with an evidence-based resource through which the potential or actual therapeutic value of vitamins, minerals, herbs and foods can be determined.

OP
E

EnoreeG

mt_dreams said:
Sayer Ji over at greenmed does a decent job trying to break through the dogmas of health. Although I don't utilize his site much anymore, he's at least trying.

I would imagine most people in the Peat sphere are getting enough Vitamin C, especially if they supplementing with Vit E.

most of the corynebacterium strains have not really been put at any use, both from a scientific standpoint, and as a marketable strain for supplements.

Probiotics are one of the most profitable frontiers out there in the health conscious sector of society. Writing an article like this, about a new strain & it's potential effect on the body, is a sure-fire way to get people's attention. Within the next couple of years, we will probably start hearing the phrase "there's a strain for that", as this market is just beginning.

Right on, Mt_dreams. Sayer Ji did say "Of course this discovery does not prove that the gut flora are capable of producing physiological relevant quantities of vitamin C via this strain alone. But it does prove that it is possible for the human body to produce vitamin C -- further exemplifying how little we know about the human body..." It is earth shaking news in that one small way.

I like your prediction that thanks to all this microbial research we will soon be bombarded with more and more "tuned" probiotics. I think you could be right about this. It's a "natural" growth of an industry. Now lets look for where to invest! ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals