Human study - vitamin B1 safe & effective for preventing & treating Alzheimer Disease (AD)

haidut

Forum Supporter
A remarkable study, that for some reason is not being covered by mainstream media. Considering 99% of the clinical trials for AD since 2000 have completely failed, this study should be front-page news for most mainstream outlets. I suspect mainstream media, being literally owned by the same interests that own Big Pharma, finds it too embarrassing (and dangerous?) to cover a story about a simple, dirt-cheap vitamin being able to both prevent and treat an "incurable" and invariably lethal disease that affects most people over the age of 80. You know, in addition to people rushing to treat themselves with this simple, safe and cheap vitamin they may also start to ask the question "why is our money being spent on health/medical services that represent 20% of the national GDP, but cannot cure anything, while suppressing already existing natural cures right under our noses??" Before you know it, all doctors may be out of a job...

In terms of intervention and dosing, the study used 300mg of benfotiamine twice daily for a year. However, all other thiamine analogs (including thiamine itself) should have similar benefit. The only reason the study used benfotiamine is the cited prior studies with animal models of AD that used that form of benfotiamine, so the human study wanted to build on that data. Interestingly, the study observed improvement of glucose metabolism, which undoubtedly played a major role in the dramatic reduction (77%) of cognitive decline observed in the patients. AD has already been proposed to be re-classified as "diabetes of the brain" or type III diabetes, which better represents the crucial role impaired glucose metabolism plays in this pathology, as well as its purely metabolic origins.

Benfotiamine and Cognitive Decline in Alzheimer's Disease: Results of a Randomized Placebo-Controlled Phase IIa Clinical Trial - PubMed
New Research from Burke Neurological Institute Suggests Raising Vitamin B1 Levels May Provide Novel Treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease
"...A small exploratory clinical trial, carried out by Dr. Gary E. Gibson’s laboratory at the Burke Neurological Institute in collaboration with researchers at Weill Cornell Medicine and Columbia University Irving Medical Center, suggests that benfotiamine, a synthetic precursor of thiamine (vitamin B1), has the potential to be an effective treatment or preventive measure for Alzheimer’s disease (AD). The study found the drug both safe and effective in slowing the rate of functional decline in participants with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) or early AD. The research was published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and paves the way for a larger clinical trial."

"...In the current study, Dr. Gibson and his team evaluated the use of benfotiamine over a year-long period in individuals with existing MCI or mild AD. Half of the group of 70 participants took 300-mg benfotiamine pills twice daily, while the other half took placebo (inert) pills. To measure cognitive function, including memory, language, and attention, the team used several tools, including the Alzheimer’s Disease Assessment Scale-Cognitive Subscale (ADAS-Cog) and the clinical dementia rating (CDR). Glucose metabolism was captured via PET scans of the brain and biomarkers in the blood. Genetic testing was also done to determine which participants carried the APOE ε4 gene variant, which puts one at higher risk for AD. Benfotiamine was very safe as shown by the observation that there were no benfotiamine related adverse events. After a year, the increase in ADAS-Cog score was 43% lower in people who’d taken benfotiamine, compared to placebo, which indicates less cognitive decline in the treatment group. Though the finding wasn’t statistically significant (meaning it could technically have been due to chance), it suggests an effect that may be better detected with a larger study. Among those who took benfotiamine, CDR scores were significantly reduced (by 77%), relative to placebo, again indicating a slower rate of functional decline. Select measures of glucose metabolism improved significantly in the benfotiamine group. The effects of benfotiamine were more robust in participants who did not have the APOE ε4 gene variant, though those subgroups were small."

mostlylurking

A remarkable study, that for some reason is not being covered by mainstream media. Considering 99% of the clinical trials for AD since 2000 have completely failed, this study should be front-page news for most mainstream outlets. I suspect mainstream media, being literally owned by the same interests that own Big Pharma, finds it too embarrassing (and dangerous?) to cover a story about a simple, dirt-cheap vitamin being able to both prevent and treat an "incurable" and invariably lethal disease that affects most people over the age of 80. You know, in addition to people rushing to treat themselves with this simple, safe and cheap vitamin they may also start to ask the question "why is our money being spent on health/medical services that represent 20% of the national GDP, but cannot cure anything, while suppressing already existing natural cures right under our noses??" Before you know it, all doctors may be out of a job...

In terms of intervention and dosing, the study used 300mg of benfotiamine twice daily for a year. However, all other thiamine analogs (including thiamine itself) should have similar benefit. The only reason the study used benfotiamine is the cited prior studies with animal models of AD that used that form of benfotiamine, so the human study wanted to build on that data. Interestingly, the study observed improvement of glucose metabolism, which undoubtedly played a major role in the dramatic reduction (77%) of cognitive decline observed in the patients. AD has already been proposed to be re-classified as "diabetes of the brain" or type III diabetes, which better represents the crucial role impaired glucose metabolism plays in this pathology, as well as its purely metabolic origins.

Benfotiamine and Cognitive Decline in Alzheimer's Disease: Results of a Randomized Placebo-Controlled Phase IIa Clinical Trial - PubMed
New Research from Burke Neurological Institute Suggests Raising Vitamin B1 Levels May Provide Novel Treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease
"...A small exploratory clinical trial, carried out by Dr. Gary E. Gibson’s laboratory at the Burke Neurological Institute in collaboration with researchers at Weill Cornell Medicine and Columbia University Irving Medical Center, suggests that benfotiamine, a synthetic precursor of thiamine (vitamin B1), has the potential to be an effective treatment or preventive measure for Alzheimer’s disease (AD). The study found the drug both safe and effective in slowing the rate of functional decline in participants with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) or early AD. The research was published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and paves the way for a larger clinical trial."

"...In the current study, Dr. Gibson and his team evaluated the use of benfotiamine over a year-long period in individuals with existing MCI or mild AD. Half of the group of 70 participants took 300-mg benfotiamine pills twice daily, while the other half took placebo (inert) pills. To measure cognitive function, including memory, language, and attention, the team used several tools, including the Alzheimer’s Disease Assessment Scale-Cognitive Subscale (ADAS-Cog) and the clinical dementia rating (CDR). Glucose metabolism was captured via PET scans of the brain and biomarkers in the blood. Genetic testing was also done to determine which participants carried the APOE ε4 gene variant, which puts one at higher risk for AD. Benfotiamine was very safe as shown by the observation that there were no benfotiamine related adverse events. After a year, the increase in ADAS-Cog score was 43% lower in people who’d taken benfotiamine, compared to placebo, which indicates less cognitive decline in the treatment group. Though the finding wasn’t statistically significant (meaning it could technically have been due to chance), it suggests an effect that may be better detected with a larger study. Among those who took benfotiamine, CDR scores were significantly reduced (by 77%), relative to placebo, again indicating a slower rate of functional decline. Select measures of glucose metabolism improved significantly in the benfotiamine group. The effects of benfotiamine were more robust in participants who did not have the APOE ε4 gene variant, though those subgroups were small."

from here: Dementia and Thiamine Deficiency - Hormones Matter

Neurodegenerative Disease and Thiamine​

We know that thiamine metabolism is involved in the pathology of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. This has been shown in many papers published in the medical literature. An Italian doctor by the name of Costantini has published a number of manuscripts using high-dose thiamine in no less than seven different disease conditions, most of which are described as neurodegenerative diseases. Obviously, this is extremely offensive to the present medical model that believes each disease has a separate cause demanding specific treatment for each. If we look at the biochemistry of the human body, think of its complexity, its extraordinary dependence on a combination of genetic integrity, nutrition and lifestyle, it becomes easier to understand how a single molecule (thiamine) can be so vital. It stands at the gateway of the biochemical machinery that synthesizes energy in the form of ATP.

-end-

Dr. Costantini's site: HIGH-D0SE THIAMINE (HDT) THERAPY for Parkinson's Disease
link to his articles: Published Study Articles

Dr. Costantini only used thiamine hcl to treat his Parkinson's Disease patients; he wrote this was because it is the only thiamine that gets "into the neurons".

Benfotiamine has been singled out as NOT being able to cross the blood/brain barrier. See this one: Benfotiamine, a synthetic S-acyl thiamine derivative, has different mechanisms of action and a different pharmacological profile than lipid-soluble thiamine disulfide derivatives - PubMed However there are a lot of articles on PubMed on benfotiamine and the brain so this study could be biased (or maybe they are intentionally using the one that is least effective). Studies encouraging the TTFD type of thiamine seem to discredit benfotiamine. No one seems to test plain old thiamine hcl; they promote the TTFD type as best for the brain, but I personally could not tolerate the TTFD and my brain issues resolved when taking thiamine hcl. So, for me at least, the thiamine hcl did the job just fine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is it still your opinion that HCL would be just as effective?

Yes, especially with prolonged use. Human studies have shown that taking the Hcl orally for a week achieves the same concentrations on the 7th day as the concentrations achieved by the same dose given IV on a single day. If the more lipophilic analogs are used then I'd go with allithiamine ad benfotiamine has been shown to barely reach the brain, and since AD is a brain condition something like allithiamine (which accumulates primarily in the brain) may be a much better option and able to achieve the same results more quickly and at lower doses.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
from here: Dementia and Thiamine Deficiency - Hormones Matter

Neurodegenerative Disease and Thiamine​

We know that thiamine metabolism is involved in the pathology of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. This has been shown in many papers published in the medical literature. An Italian doctor by the name of Costantini has published a number of manuscripts using high-dose thiamine in no less than seven different disease conditions, most of which are described as neurodegenerative diseases. Obviously, this is extremely offensive to the present medical model that believes each disease has a separate cause demanding specific treatment for each. If we look at the biochemistry of the human body, think of its complexity, its extraordinary dependence on a combination of genetic integrity, nutrition and lifestyle, it becomes easier to understand how a single molecule (thiamine) can be so vital. It stands at the gateway of the biochemical machinery that synthesizes energy in the form of ATP.

-end-

Dr. Costantini's site: HIGH-D0SE THIAMINE (HDT) THERAPY for Parkinson's Disease
link to his articles: Published Study Articles

Dr. Costantini only used thiamine hcl to treat his Parkinson's Disease patients; he wrote this was because it is the only thiamine that gets "into the neurons".

Benfotiamine has been singled out as NOT being able to cross the blood/brain barrier. See this one: Benfotiamine, a synthetic S-acyl thiamine derivative, has different mechanisms of action and a different pharmacological profile than lipid-soluble thiamine disulfide derivatives - PubMed However there are a lot of articles on PubMed on benfotiamine and the brain so this study could be biased (or maybe they are intentionally using the one that is least effective). Studies encouraging the TTFD type of thiamine seem to discredit benfotiamine. No one seems to test plain old thiamine hcl; they promote the TTFD type as best for the brain, but I personally could not tolerate the TTFD and my brain issues resolved when taking thiamine hcl. So, for me at least, the thiamine hcl did the job just fine.

Thanks. I forgot to mention the Parkinson studies. I guess they are even stronger corroboration that both AD and PD are just dysregulated glucose metabolism.

Lizb

MCI now becoming dementia in a 65 year old male.

Shall I try 300 mg thiamine? Start with lower dose?

Any other contributions by way of comments or link
so much appreciated.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Probably don't want to take attention away from the new Alzheimer drug that was approved in June

Oh that's right, the one that was so "effective" that it caused several of the FDA advisory committee members (themselves quite corrupt) to quit in protest of the approval, right? I think we are at the point where FDA openly approves whatever Big Pharma asks for regardless of the consequences. The recent Pfizer "vaccine" approval is another great example - FDA gave approval long before the trials designed to collect safety data have completed, while also suspending the standard public "safety review" process that was in place for all drugs approved in the past. I would not be surprised if they soon approve radiation/chemo as treatment for COVID-19...

magnesiumania

Is it still your opinion that HCL would be just as effective?
Ive tried HCL for extended periods with absolutly NO resault. TTFD however transform me completly in a couple of days. ITs the most therapeutic supplemet for me ever. There is really nothing that enhance my functioning like vitamin B1.

mostlylurking

MCI now becoming dementia in a 65 year old male.

Shall I try 300 mg thiamine? Start with lower dose?

Any other contributions by way of comments or link
so much appreciated.
MCI=heart issues? This can complicate things and it would be really great if you can locate a doctor who is familiar with thiamine so that they will be involved and know what to do if complications happen.

Mauritio

Ive tried HCL for extended periods with absolutly NO resault. TTFD however transform me completly in a couple of days. ITs the most therapeutic supplemet for me ever. There is really nothing that enhance my functioning like vitamin B1.
TTFD seems to be the most effective one for me too.
Which brand are you using ?
Did you get any gut symptoms at the beginning ?