Human Breastmilk

dogtrainer

Saw “human milk oligosaccharides” for sale on amazon as a gut health supplement. If donors were tested for purity, do you think supplementing human breast milk would be beneficial to dysbiosis/SIBO? Why or why not?

Ben.

You are mistaken to think that HMO's supplements are made from actual human breastmilk (maybe theres a exception ...). It wouldn't be cost effective at all. (Altough there are people selling human breastmilk tho).

The few companys actually making HMO supplements make it trough fermentation:

The HMOs are created by taking high-purity lactose and putting it through a precise fermentation process. The result is a scientifically produced HMO at an unprecedented purity level of 98.8%.

Circa 2016, infant formula brands like Similac and Enfamil began putting HMOs in their formula. Similac, for example, now contains the 2’-FL HMO, which is 2'-Fucosyllactose. Formula makers champion the addition of HMOs to their products as a groundbreaking step, because the HMOs are structurally identical to the HMOs in breast milk.

I tried HMO's myself and all it did was causing the same issues as other probiotic do. Not realy a fan.
Like antibiotics they can be hit or miss. And the miss can actually be problematic.

Edit: I read it wrong, you actually mentioned supplementing the actual milk. Maybe worth a shot? But i'd be realy picky about the donor...