Hull-Less Barley Is Associated With A Reduced Risk Of Metabolic Related Syndrome In Rats Fed High-Fa

Raypmom

Intake of Tibetan Hull-Less Barley is Associated with a Reduced Risk of Metabolic Related Syndrome in Rats Fed High-Fat-Sucrose Diets.

Nutrients (Impact Factor: 3.15). 04/2014; 6(4):1635-48. DOI: 10.3390/nu6041635
Source: PubMed
ABSTRACT The objective of this study was to assess the effects of whole grain Tibetan hull-less barley on metabolic related syndrome induced by high-fat-sucrose diets in rats. The diets were designed to reflect the dietary patterns of Chinese individuals (>30% energy fat) with refined wheat flour (HFS-W) or Tibetan hull-less barley (HFS-THB) as the main carbohydrate sources. Rats fed HFS-W had increased body weight, abdominal fat deposition, liver weight, liver fat deposition, triglyceride (TG), fasting blood glucose (FBG), serum fasting insulin (FINS), and homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) scores, and decreased low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) levels compared to rats fed a basal diet (BD). However, rats fed HFS-THB had reduced body weight gain, dyslipidemia, and insulin resistance. These findings indicate that whole Tibetan hull-less barley is a functional food that can reduce the prevalence of metabolic related syndrome induced by high-fat-sucrose diets.

OP
R

Raypmom

Slow Burning Carb – Barley is rich in complex carbohydrates that break down slowly. The soluble and insoluble fiber in this grain also slows down the absorption of carbs, feeds the beneficial bacteria that make our digestive system healthy, cleans the colon, and helps reduce cholesterol. This slow absorption makes barley fairly unique in its ability to supply the glucose our bodies and brains run on without causing the problems of more simple sugars. It also means you get a boost to your energy levels for the long haul, feel fuller so you eat less, and see improvements in endurance and stamina. Barley is a very good pre-workout addition, especially for intense exercise or competition. Warrior Food – Barley was the go-to food for gladiators and the Roman army, fueling grueling marches, intense battles, and life and death competitions. This may be partially due to how well barley tolerates large plant populations and frost so well; making it was a cheap, high yield way to feed many men and horses, but it was also known to increase stamina, endurance, energy, performance, and muscle growth even in ancient times. The gladiators were often called “barley men” by their public audience. Soldiers enjoyed this grain a little less. It was sometimes used as a form of punishment for soldiers to receive all their grain rations in barley, but this may have more to do with social standing where soldiers saw themselves above gladiators and horses, or the fact that, without proper soaking or cooking, barley can be hard to eat. Thank goodness we no longer rely on such violent forms of entertainment and hopefully aren’t marching to war, but we can still learn something from the foods these warriors ate. Beta Glucans – Just like barley is the unsung hero of grains, beta glucans are the unsung heroes of barley. These special polysaccharides exist within the cellulose of some plants, especially oats, barley, and some mushrooms. Beta glucans are very good at lowering cholesterol, improving the cardiovascular system. These molecules are also associated with enhanced immune function. Since beta glucans are often a part of bacteria and fungi, the body responds to them by activating and enhancing macrophages and natural killer cell function. They are also being studied for their beneficial effects against allergies, irritable bowel syndrome, and even cancer. Beta glucans may even help with healthy weight loss, by allowing the body to store less carbs, letting us feel full longer, and giving the blood sugar spikes a rest long enough to let us tap into fat stores we don’t need. These little guys are worth looking into and the research continues to look promising. - Source (sunwarrior.com)

OP
R

Raypmom

For anyone interested, I've tried & tested organic hulled barley porridge for breakfast eaten with grassfed ghee/some raw honey. 2 weeks,results were increased energy, steady weight loss. Very flat tummy I'm also an active person. I eat very small frequent meals through out the day. I do sugar organic cane, but only few teaspoons at a time coffee. Main sugar source is fruits,beets & some raw honey here and there. Geat for all the ray peat ladies who still struggling with shedding the extra fat. So this would be it for a fatty liver, and leading a healthy lifestyle of course. (Movement) any questions ask away. :)

OP
R

Raypmom

No one is interested in something that works?

okay add 1 cup of sugar and that'll start a party. kidding :):

Kasper

"organic hulled barley porridge"

but your study is about hull-less ?

I don't know, but just one study, and you expect anyone to quit the ray peat diet (which advocates no grains at all) and try your diet ? Do you feel better with barley than something like patatoes ?

tara

I can imagine that it has some benefits (at least short-term) for some of us with very poor glycogen storage capacity, but eating lots of slow digesting carbs seems to go directly counter to Peat's usual recommendations. That may be why you are not getting much interest.

I didn't read the whole study, but if you did, maybe you can confirm what diet was used as a control? It may not be hard to show an improvement when compared with standard lab rat chow. Did you check the study for other confounders? How long was the study?

OP
R

Raypmom

tara said:
I can imagine that it has some benefits (at least short-term) for some of us with very poor glycogen storage capacity, but eating lots of slow digesting carbs seems to go directly counter to Peat's usual recommendations. That may be why you are not getting much interest.

I didn't read the whole study, but if you did, maybe you can confirm what diet was used as a control? It may not be hard to show an improvement when compared with standard lab rat chow. Did you check the study for other confounders? How long was the study?

Tara read the study :)

OP
R

Raypmom

I didn't say eat lots of grains. I only have a bowl every now and then. Maybe once every 3 days or so. I'm still eating all my other nutrition in accordance to ray peat. Still liver, milk, fruits, coffee, gelatin and oxtail Oj etc.

javacody

It's really not hard to improve on the high fat rat diet. They use corn oil or soybean oil.

So it's really a high pufa diet.

So if you have people in your family who refuse to eliminate pufas, beta glucans could be a huge help.

I personally love oatmeal mixed with cinnamon and raisins and lots of brown sugar.

One thing I wanted to mention is that beets are associated with increasing NO, which in peatland is a big no no, and a study came out recently that showed that beets do in fact lower metabolism.

Just something to keep in mind. I personally love the occasional serving of pickled beets myself.

pboy

barley isn't that great...it could be used if you balanced it well, but its probably not ideal. Its very likely to generate insulin responses (and serotonin) and parathyroid...you'd have to make sure to eat certain things to balance it out, and cook it very well. Definitely hull less is much better than whole grain...whole grain could be pretty irritating and degenerating if you used a lot over time

CastorTroy

I think barley is more interesting than oats, they provide more carbs and less pufa compared to oats.

cfeehan

Forum Supporter
Barley seems to be getting a second look, now that it's coming up as part of the Low Vit A / Low Toxin "good grains" list, mainly because of the soluble fiber and beta glucan.

I've tried it twice now:

Once soaking overnight with a capful of apple cider vinegar and then boiling like oatmeal the next morning. A bit too watery - it didn't 'gel' like oatmeal (I was using pearl barley). Maybe it wasn't fully cooked? Maybe I shouldn't get 'pearled' barley?

For try #2, I soaked overnight with the ACV, drained, and then tried to cook it in the rice cooker. Disaster overflow, but the taste was better. But this was too messy of a method to try again.

I've seen recipes for leaving it in an low-heat oven all night, but I don't like the idea of leaving the oven on while sleeping.

In both case, I'm pretty nervous eating it. I've been fully gluten free since the 1990s and so adding something with gluten makes me a bit worried.

(I like oatmeal but it bothers my sinuses so was looking for an alternate).

Dave Clark

Just bought 25 lbs of organic hulled barley. I like the taste and texture of barley, and I combine it with sorghum and oats when baking. This grain is a healthy grain, and if you are someone who does well with grains, and I do, then it is a good addition . Barley also has less fats than other grains, which means a more stable product.
Also, if you are looking for additional anthocyanins, there is a purple variety:

ddjd

anyone german here jappen to a) know what this is called in german and b) know where this is sold in germany?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals