HRT And Thyroid Issues

Joyrachael

Hi. I'm confused about estrogen dominance. My thyroid issues seemed to have gotten worse since I started HRT. My meno symptoms got a lot better from HRT but now I feel like it started me on a downward spiral. I am definitely estrogen dominant but if I stop the HRT my meno symptoms return. I'm on 2 mgs estradiol and 1 mg testosterone compounded. Thanks!

tara

Hi Joy,
Have you looked at any of Peat's articles about progesterone, estrogen, and thyroid?
If you search using each of those words separately on his articles page, you may get more of an idea of Peat's take on these hormones.
Ray Peat
They take a bit of reading - but eventually I've found it more meaningful.

Seems estrogen tends to lower thyroid function.

If you want more ideas on things to try, you might get them if you spell out more of the other things you are doing - eg what and how much you are eating, etc, and any other health symptoms etc if you want to.

(But if you are going to get more personal online, you may want to change to a more anonymous name.)

OP
J

Joyrachael

Hi Joy,
Have you looked at any of Peat's articles about progesterone, estrogen, and thyroid?
If you search using each of those words separately on his articles page, you may get more of an idea of Peat's take on these hormones.
Ray Peat
They take a bit of reading - but eventually I've found it more meaningful.

Seems estrogen tends to lower thyroid function.

If you want more ideas on things to try, you might get them if you spell out more of the other things you are doing - eg what and how much you are eating, etc, and any other health symptoms etc if you want to.

(But if you are going to get more personal online, you may want to change to a more anonymous name.)

Hi Tara,

I think I read estrogen tends to lower thyroid function. Ok, so do you mean I should write another post specifying more about my lifestyle, etc.? I'll have to change my name to be more anonymous lol. Thank you!!

Joy

tara

Ok, so do you mean I should write another post specifying more about my lifestyle, etc.?
If you want to. You may get more ideas for what might be going on, and for things you can try.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Joyrachael these are some things I've found helpful for my menopausal symptoms:

Collagen/gelatin/glycine -for hot flashes and night sweats.

Vaginal dhea/progesterone -for vaginal issues.

IBT (inclined bed therapy)- this is fairly new for me but has helped resolve remaining night sweats and improved sleep, aches and pains.

I've noticed I definitely need more thyroid since going into menopause. I used to stop thyroid in the summer but this year I stayed on it. I believe vitamin D helps me too.
All of these things that I've tried I learned from this forum. I'm not sure if you would have the same experience but figured I'd mention what has helped me cope with the symptoms. It gets bad I know.

I'm sure there are other things that may help too depending on your unique context.

If you you want to change your username @charlie can do that for you!

Username Changes

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Blossom, would you mind sharing how you do this? How much/how often? Thanks!
Certainly, I've been using pansterone and simply progesterone in cocoa butter. I melt cocoa butter (from life giving store) in a double boiler and mix in my pansterone and progesterone. I stir it well and pour into chocolate chip candy molds and freeze.
I'm hoping to switch to cortinon since it is dhea and progesterone only but I've been waiting for a MCT/tocopherol version. I figured the ethanol version wouldn't be ideal for the vagina and probably wouldn't mix well in cocoa butter.
I haven't gotten it down to exact measurements yet so I've just been dividing the total milligrams of dhea and progesterone used by the number of molds I fill to get an estimate of about how much each mold contains.
I hope that gives you some ideas.

sweetpeat

Certainly, I've been using pansterone and simply progesterone in cocoa butter. I melt cocoa butter (from life giving store) in a double boiler and mix in my pansterone and progesterone. I stir it well and pour into chocolate chip candy molds and freeze.
I'm hoping to switch to cortinon since it is dhea and progesterone only but I've been waiting for a MCT/tocopherol version. I figured the ethanol version wouldn't be ideal for the vagina and probably wouldn't mix well in cocoa butter.
I haven't gotten it down to exact measurements yet so I've just been dividing the total milligrams of dhea and progesterone used by the number of molds I fill to get an estimate of about how much each mold contains.
I hope that gives you some ideas.
Yeah, I was wondering if you take the dhea and progesterone together or at separate times/days. Do you take them daily or cycle them with days off?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I cycle progesterone orally but try to use the dhea and progesterone vaginally every day. I'm in menopause though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals