How2 Raise Cholesterol?

supercoolguy

My Cholesterol is 123.
Drop from 2012 of 133.
RP mentions Need sufficient cholesterol Before taking Thyroid supps.
I fatigue easy and think im on the right track raising cholest & thyroid. Low Vit D also.
Not sure how to 'fix' my diet. Appreciate the input.

schultz

Ray has mentioned that he drinks OJ for the cholesterol boost. Sugar is the best way to raise cholesterol. It's apparently even better than foods with cholesterol in them like eggs and liver (which I am not sure have much of an effect).

OP
supercoolguy

supercoolguy

Thas just it....ive been on sugar my whole life and OJ fiend for months now. Even more i had added plain Ice Cream to the mix months b4 the labs. Milk, Cheese, Honey, Coffee/Cream/Sugar, Beef Wow i was shocked at how low Cholesterol was... 123 total. (Think its been that way 20yrs)

Greta

Do you think you may have a malabsorption problem?
Tired and low cholesterol are symptons.

OP
supercoolguy

supercoolguy

Fatigue for sure.
People comment on how slow i talk sometimes.
A little stress goes a long-way with me. and i get pissed. :]

Mittir

How old are you? A young person with good metabolism can have low cholesterol, where
a good portion of cholesterol is converted to steroid hormones.
Liver problem can lower cholesterol production and low thyroid can make your liver
sluggish. Endotoxin is another factor that can weaken your liver.
Do you have good digestion? You can try raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoot
or cooked mushroom to improve liver function. Avoiding hard to digest foods, starch and fiber
can lower endotoxin production.

tara

Feel like spelling out a bit more detail, or pointing to it elsewhere if you have already posted? Only if you want to.
Eg some of these might give more of a picture: approximately how much of various foods you are eating, total calories, how physically active you are, key symptoms, brief history, what you've tried to address issues so far and how you responded to these, body temps and pulse data if you have them, lab results if you have them, etc?

OP
supercoolguy

supercoolguy

5'11 175lb 45yo very white male
134/76bp
70bpm 97-98temp
TSH 1.67... Total Cholest 123
Diet typical: 10oz OJ. Raw Coconut oil fry 3egg w/swiss. 16oz coffee whipping cream & sugar.
Ice cream & fruit snack. Rinsed Cottage Cheese & Greek yogurt with 1/2tsp baking soda combo. Honey. 1/2 asprin. (300mg pregnalone in COil 1per week)
Shredded Carrot Salad w/canning salt
Plain white Rice. Steak and cheese. Coffee or some coke. Bed time ice cream and good sleep. Salted Macadamian Nuts. Experimenting w/cascara. Just bought Vit D gel cap. That's really about it. Chicken
Once week. Random ripe Fruit. Don't panic it's organic as much as possible. Moderate hikes outdoors 4x/wk

LucH

supercoolguy said:
The TSH test is an indirect measure of thyroid function and can be unreliable to monitor thyroid dosage. A more accurate indicator of thyroid function is the free T3.

Exerpt 1:
TSH REGULATION
TSH production by the pituitary is itself regulated by two things. The first is the level of thyroid hormones in the blood stream which inhibits TSH production by the pituitary, as a negative feedback loop. Secondly, TSH production is stimulated by the action of TRH (Thyrotropin Releasing Hormone), a hormone produced by the hypothalamus in the brainstem. TRH production is itself regulated by thyroid hormone levels in the blood stream, similar to the thermostat analogy above. Increasing thyroid hormone levels inhibits TRH production, and decreasing thyroid hormone levels allows for more TRH production by the hypothalamus. Thus thyroid hormone production by the thyroid gland is part of a feedback loop called the HPA, the hypothalamic pituitary axis.

DRUGS
Various drugs such as Glucocorticoids (steroids) and opiates may inhibit the HPA axis and decrease TSH production by causing hypothalamic dysfunction or suppression. Many drugs may cause hypotha¬lamic dysfunction, including opiates, alcohol, anti-psychotics, and even inhaled or topical corticosteroids. There are many others. (15)

Exerpt 2:
Various neuropsychiatric disorders and/or psychoactive drug therapies may be associated with hypothalamic suppression and reduced TSH levels. These include eating disorders, anorexia nervosa, bulimia and depressive illness. (21)

Hypothalamic Dysfunction - hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis suppression in non-thyroidal illnesses
As mentioned above, various drugs may inhibit the HPA and cause hypothalamic dysfunction resulting in a suppressed TSH. In acutely ill patients, excessive production of glucocorticoids may cause Hypothalamic dysfunction and a paradoxically low TSH. (17) Acti-vation of pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-2, TNF and IL-6 inhibit TRH-TSH synthesis/secretion causing a paradoxically low TSH.(18)

Exerpt3:
the TSH reference range may not be useful to monitor treatment dosage. (42) In other words, when the patient’s dosage of natural thyroid medication provides complete relief of symptoms, the TSH will typically fall below the lab reference range, also called a suppressed TSH. This may disturb the mainstream endocrinologist or primary care clinician who mistakenly believes the dosage is excessive, and the patient is taking too much thyroid medication. The issue can be settled simply by running a Free T3 test which will show that the Free T3 in the normal range, thus excluding any possibility of a “hyperthyroid state”. Unfortunately, most conventional doctors do not have the knowledge to order a free T3 test, and have limited understanding of the thyroid patient. They rely solely on the TSH reference range to adjust thyroid medication dosage.

Source:
The Unreliable TSH Lab Test
By Jeffrey Dach MD

Full doc on next post
LucH :hattip

Last edited by a moderator:

LucH

Attachments

• 04. Unreliable test TSH p 79.docx
    198.3 KB · Views: 227

tara

Eggs sound like a good idea if you are having trouble producing enough cholesterol yourself.
Can you estimate how many calories and/or how many grams of carbs you are eating in a typical day? Hard to etll from your list with few quantities specified.

OP
supercoolguy

supercoolguy

Depends on what the Chicken are feed. Unless they are feed cigs then we got a real problem.
Im about ready to just make me a cholesterol patch & pop a little thyroid.

tara

Greta said:
I could be wrong about this, but my understanding was that for most people, the amount of cholesterol we eat only makes a small difference to our blood cholesterol levels. This is because our bodies adjust their production of cholesterol (up or down) to compensate. Healthy well-nourished people who eat no cholesterol will make as much as they need. If they then start to eat lots of eggs, they will produce less cholesterol endogenously. So fo most healthy people, eating eggs doesn't make much difference to cholesterol levels.

But I wonder if someone is not managing to produce as much cholesterol as they need, maybe this mechanism isn't at play, and maybe eating more cholesterol can help fill the gap.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals