How Would "ideal" Environmental Enrichment Look For You?

Uselis

I was watching interview with this guy

and got inspired by his lifestyle. Definitely not an activity itself inspired me (I have 0 desire for anything extreme) but the outcome he's getting from it: being in and out of flow state constantly stimulated.

I think if one's health improved up to a point where there is enough energy to take any action, next step would be creating life that is playful, stimulating and flow inducing (duh?).

I've been brainstorming keywords and ideas lately. I like outdoors, movement, sweating, sun, playful social interactions. Combining all those gives me an idea of finding occupation that requires doing labor outdoors preferably in natural environment.

What about you? Would love to read other people visions on their "dream" lifestyle. Stuff like that inspires me to think and experiment further.

Thanks!

somuch4food

Definately important. You don't need to wait though. I think finding playful meaningful hobbies and occupations can help the healing process as long as it's not overdone.

I will post about my "dream" later since I have to define it more clearly.

akgrrrl

and got inspired by his lifestyle. Definitely not an activity itself inspired me (I have 0 desire for anything extreme) but the outcome he's getting from it: being in and out of flow state constantly stimulated.

I think if one's health improved up to a point where there is enough energy to take any action, next step would be creating life that is playful, stimulating and flow inducing (duh?).

I've been brainstorming keywords and ideas lately. I like outdoors, movement, sweating, sun, playful social interactions. Combining all those gives me an idea of finding occupation that requires doing labor outdoors preferably in natural environment.

What about you? Would love to read other people visions on their "dream" lifestyle. Stuff like that inspires me to think and experiment further.

Living it. Building houses in rural Alaska. We pause to watch eagles mate mid-air and cranes and geese in their 6000mile journeys, moose calves dropped in meadows and bearcubs tumbling into rivers full of thrashing red salmon. We fish after work, filling coolers with fish filets that had 3 meals and drinks when we left home. 20 hrs of daylight, we freeze the fish, shower and sleep to do it all again next day. Fun is mornings, while waiting for crew to show up and discuss plan for the day we play tetherball on 90lb steel pole in 4 feet of concrete Gets the competetive jabber going and blood moving to laugh

Beastmode

I think the concept of exploring takes precedence over what you're exploring (in context.)

Open ended exploring, play, open ended outcomes, etc is the context you bring into anything and that will impact the "environment" wherever you are.

I notice this more and more in what most consider mundane things like cooking, organizing the house, reading to explore more questions rather than seeking a definitive "fact," etc. Recently I've been exploring my body with deeper attention to see how it settles before going to bed. It was like a world I've never explored before even though I've done this many times.

Adrenaline, endorphins, etc are all part of the human experience and are commonly linked to "living life fully!" Peace, flow and contentment are my metrics and they come down to what I put into any environment I'm in rather than an "effect" from the current environment.

mrchibbs

Thanks!

First thing for me would probably to live in a sort of commune with friends and other people, where there's cooperation and regular interaction. I think its meaningful interactions which stimulates the brain the most. It would have to be in close to nature, with lots of trees etc. I think living alone in the woods is beneficial because of the exposure to nature, but it's not really healthy in terms of deficit of interactions.

I would also make time for a very wide variety of physical and mental stimulations, like wood chopping, arts, music, painting, martial arts, cooking, swimming, etc. And emphasizing the value of unplanned activities and spontaneous discoveries/curiosity.

LUH 3417

Walking on a beach first thing every morning, riding my bicycle through challenging and exhilarating environments, exploring new landscapes by foot or bicycle, living in a small community of like minded people who care about health, growing their own food, having meaningful relationships, being engaged with life and one another, constantly having new hobbies like making my own clothes, pottery, art, gifts for friends, basically living a creative and social life with a balance of peace and stimulation.

mrchibbs

Walking on a beach first thing every morning, riding my bicycle through challenging and exhilarating environments, exploring new landscapes by foot or bicycle, living in a small community of like minded people who care about health, growing their own food, having meaningful relationships, being engaged with life and one another, constantly having new hobbies like making my own clothes, pottery, art, gifts for friends, basically living a creative and social life with a balance of peace and stimulation.

Beautiful.

OP
U

Uselis

I think the concept of exploring takes precedence over what you're exploring (in context.)

Open ended exploring, play, open ended outcomes, etc is the context you bring into anything and that will impact the "environment" wherever you are.

I notice this more and more in what most consider mundane things like cooking, organizing the house, reading to explore more questions rather than seeking a definitive "fact," etc. Recently I've been exploring my body with deeper attention to see how it settles before going to bed. It was like a world I've never explored before even though I've done this many times.

Adrenaline, endorphins, etc are all part of the human experience and are commonly linked to "living life fully!" Peace, flow and contentment are my metrics and they come down to what I put into any environment I'm in rather than an "effect" from the current environment.

If I understand correctly that's basically how monks live. They live in same environment all their life but discover new things each day probably due artificial stimulus deprivation.

When I was into "searching" I visited my teacher in Thailand island. He would always ask me in this child alike manner "did you noticed the pressure just dropped" or "did you feel temperature just got a bit cooler" lol.

He was always actively involved with what was happening around him and looked like he was in some sort of flow.

aguineapig

social connections, options, and a good sense of intuitions. And not being excessively "tied down".

OP
U

Uselis

First thing for me would probably to live in a sort of commune with friends and other people, where there's cooperation and regular interaction. I think its meaningful interactions which stimulates the brain the most. It would have to be in close to nature, with lots of trees etc. I think living alone in the woods is beneficial because of the exposure to nature, but it's not really healthy in terms of deficit of interactions.

I would also make time for a very wide variety of physical and mental stimulations, like wood chopping, arts, music, painting, martial arts, cooking, swimming, etc. And emphasizing the value of unplanned activities and spontaneous discoveries/curiosity.

Yeah, that seems awesome and these places no doubt exist. Again to give example I once used Helpx.com website where you get bed and meals in exchange for several hours of labor. I got lucky and lived in similar commune: very little money were used there, instead they had what I'd call "changing"? Like plumber fixes something for you in exchange for veggies. One couple were running school and theatre for kids, others made sure to distribute clothes. Stuff was running on solar energy, water had some "handmade" system as well. Basically one big family of like I guess 20-30 people where everyone knew what his neighbour is up to.

OP
U

Uselis

I see that would involve lots of time being spent outside huh? ☺

I think that's probably biggest factor during my health recovery.

It just feels "right".

Beastmode

If I understand correctly that's basically how monks live. They live in same environment all their life but discover new things each day probably due artificial stimulus deprivation.

When I was into "searching" I visited my teacher in Thailand island. He would always ask me in this child alike manner "did you noticed the pressure just dropped" or "did you feel temperature just got a bit cooler" lol.

He was always actively involved with what was happening around him and looked like he was in some sort of flow.

It's pretty cool! I live in the modern world with wifi, wholefoods and my little family so it's not exactly the same as a monk :)

However, it's a "direction" that I look into rather than a lifestyle. Seems silly, but even checking my heart rate at different times of the day to see how close I am to what I feel in that moment is a blast. Like Ray has said, and I paraphrase Just being on the journey of healing and learning about your body, foods, etc will do a ton for you!

Contentment is my favorite word...

Last edited:

Jennifer

Fun thread idea!

I want a tiny house with a glass roof for viewing the stars at night and an oversized swing overlooking the ocean in an active beachside community -- I don't want what I own to own me so having a tiny house to me means the freedom to go out and explore. I want enough space between me and my neighbors to grow an edible garden/landscaping, but not too much space that we don't see each other -- I'm way too extroverted to be away from people for extended periods of time and until I meet the love of my life, having people nearby will be that much more important to me. Aside from doing the same activities I enjoy now -- dancing, music, art, reading, tarot, cooking, mini road trips, hiking, rock climbing, swimming, and other forms of play -- I'd like to volunteer some time at an animal rescue or sanctuary. Losing my fur fam, my best friends, has been too devastating for me over the years and so I need a place where I can interact with animals -- I love their energy -- but not become so attached that it destroys me, not to be overly dramatic.

Last edited:

mrchibbs

I don't want what I own to own me so having a tiny house to me means the freedom to go out and explore.

That's very wise. I too learned (the hard way) that the things we own tend to own us and I've been trying to break free from accumulating a lot of stuff.

mrchibbs

somuch4food

Unlike many others here, I want to fit within our current age. I'd love to live outside a simpler life, but I also do not want to be an "outsider". For me, it's all about family and taking care of them. I want to be the support for everyone, yet I do not have enough energy to do so at the moment.

My vision is to create my perfect home inside and outside. My perfect home would promote healthy habits and provide a healthy environment. I want to add more plants, an infrared fireplace heater, optimize lighting, provide ideal spaces for hobbies and relaxation. Outside, I want to grow as much food as possible, provide a playground for the whole family to play and workout intuitively and a relaxing space to relax and enjoy nature. All that on my little suburban lot.

I've also thought about how it would cool to make something on my front yard that the whole neighborhood could enjoy. I could provide a bench, a chess table, etc.

mrchibbs

Unlike many others here, I want to fit within our current age. I'd love to live outside a simpler life, but I also do not want to be an "outsider". For me, it's all about family and taking care of them. I want to be the support for everyone, yet I do not have enough energy to do so at the moment.

My vision is to create my perfect home inside and outside. My perfect home would promote healthy habits and provide a healthy environment. I want to add more plants, an infrared fireplace heater, optimize lighting, provide ideal spaces for hobbies and relaxation. Outside, I want to grow as much food as possible, provide a playground for the whole family to play and workout intuitively and a relaxing space to relax and enjoy nature. All that on my little suburban lot.

I've also thought about how it would cool to make something on my front yard that the whole neighborhood could enjoy. I could provide a bench, a chess table, etc.

That seems nice and wholesome. Although I don't think we should worry about being "an outsider", as it's not like the current culture has been very nurturing.

somuch4food

That seems nice and wholesome. Although I don't think we should worry about being "an outsider", as it's not like the current culture has been very nurturing.

I understand what you are saying. I'm not necessarily thinking about global culture though and more about what is around me, my family, my neighborhood and my coworkers aren't bad at all. The society is broken, but most people are nice enough around me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals