How would I go about bulking on a starch free diet (Any Recommendations?)

Weight is around 190 lbs right now and I plan to bulk up to about 210 lbs. The problem is soon as I add starchy carbs (Rice, Pasta, Bread, etc..) back into my diet. I end up running into problems with fatigue and lethargy which lowers my productivity throughout the day. I am curious If I can bulk up on a strict peat diet (Meat, Fruit, Juice and Milk) as long as calories are sufficiently accounted for ? If you have any recommendations please list them below.

Weight is around 190 lbs right now and I plan to bulk up to about 210 lbs. The problem is soon as I add starchy carbs (Rice, Pasta, Bread, etc..) back into my diet. I end up running into problems with fatigue and lethargy which lowers my productivity throughout the day. I am curious If I can bulk up on a strict peat diet (Meat, Fruit, Juice and Milk) as long as calories are sufficiently accounted for ? If you have any recommendations please list them below.
Hi Bane, or should I call you Monster? ?
I started a protein thread a couple of weeks ago with the protein meals I make and their instructions....

I subscribe to a high protein diet too, with little to zero starches. I pretty much eat one extravagant meal a day and fill in the rest with homemade fruit juices, mozzarella, skim milk, gelatin and eggs.

baccheion

Protein and a caloric surplus are the main things. Get 1g protein per pound of lean body mass from 1% milk, add half as many cups of orange juice, 1 ounce liver, then add any supplements/hormones.

You could also follow the 1% milk, salt, and water approach. And some iron + vitamin C (floravital??). 1.5 ounces per pound; assumes 16% body fat.

Zerdusht

It could be hard to bulk sensibly without starches, because complex carbohydrates are practically essential for high-volume exercise. It's easy to get enough calories, but this diet generally won't give you sufficient endurance for as many reps/sets as are necessary to stimulate muscle growth. In any case you won't be following Peat's guidelines to the letter if you lift weights regularly: he advises against it. You might want to look into some of the ideas floating around here about which starches are acceptable and how to prepare them, e.g. masa harina, thoroughly boiled potatoes, or plantains fried in coconut oil. If you find a starch you can tolerate, using it sparingly can have great results.

Sefton10

I'd second this. Medjool dates and whole milk are excellent bulking foods. Throw in chocolate or cocoa butter and eggs too. Conversely to some of the previous comments, I think too much protein can be a hindrance as it can drop blood sugar too much and you feel like crap as you burn through the sugars in fruit etc so quickly. Find the sweetspot for protein, say 130-150g for your weight as a start, then fill up the rest with carbs and good fats.

76er

Medjool dates and whole milk are excellent bulking foods
I'll "third" dates and specifically Medjools (larger and better tasting than other date varieties).

They also have a solid micronutrient story. They're high in calories but that's what you want.

They go great with cold milk.

Organic ones aren't cheap but they're compact, portable, and have a good shelf life.

Uselis

I'll "third" dates and specifically Medjools (larger and better tasting than other date varieties).

They also have a solid micronutrient story. They're high in calories but that's what you want.

They go great with cold milk.

Organic ones aren't cheap but they're compact, portable, and have a good shelf life.
Hey,

do you know why Medjool type are the only ones that actually have decent micro nutrient profile? I used to be into date'ing and as far as I am aware none of them offers much in terms of filling up cronometer.

mariantos

Yes, dates are formidable. I prefer Deglet Noor Dates especially from Tunisia because they have a relatively similar content of all three sugars: glucose, fructose and sucrose while Medjool dates have a higher content of fructose and a practically null content of sucrose, also because they are cheaper. I eat now 500 g daily also with a lot of milk and my muscles grow amazingly.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yeah for sure, starches are not needed to build muscle. Actually, a fructose glucose mix is better at producing ATP and replenishing glycogen stores.
Milk, meat and fruit juice are how I do things. I still have starches here and there, but not on a daily basis. Calories and protein are what are important. Milk is very anabolic, so aim for 2-3L daily.

76er

why Medjool type are the only ones that actually have decent micro nutrient profile?
Here is an isolated cronometer snapshot on a day when I had seven medjool dates:

Attachments

• seven-medjools-cronometer-ext.png
    seven-medjools-cronometer-ext.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 51

Sefton10

Medjool dates have a higher content of fructose and a practically null content of sucrose
Some would say this is a benefit as the free sugars might be easier to digest. Of course dates come with quite a bit of fibre too which can irritate some people. Potentially histamine as well given they’re dried - I do wonder if this negatively impacts me when I have too many.

mariantos

Some would say this is a benefit as the free sugars might be easier to digest. Of course dates come with quite a bit of fibre too which can irritate some people. Potentially histamine as well given they’re dried - I do wonder if this negatively impacts me when I have too many.
Look, right after I finished my vegetarian diet, which I thought was my salvation and was going to solve my main problem that I still face, but it turned out to be an ordeal and the forerunner of a lot of health problems and of course after I also gave up the carnivorous diet completely, almost raw, I discovered the forum and gradually started adding carbohydrates. I noticed to my surprise that the ones specified here on the forum make sense, I experienced the benefits of adding carbohydrates back to the diet. So at first I couldn't tolerate sugar in any way, I got some useful tips from a few forum members, whom I thank a lot and I started lightly with honey, but no matter the brand, the type of tree or flower, either organic or not, honey created me dubious side effects, extremely strong headaches, at first only from two small teaspoons, eczema on the body, face, so I suspected the too high fructose content compared to glucose, anyway it's just a suspicion, I still haven't found a palpable explanation, later I discovered the dates which also caused me headache, brain fog, pain in the liver area, stomach pain, fatigue immediately after consuming them, which I attributed to insulin sensitivity, even if I was consume them in small quantities at the beginning, 3-7 dates. Over time I was able to tolerate more, 200 grams a period, 300 another period and now 500 g, which I eat throughout the day. Sometimes I take a day or two off and notice in the nights and mornings that follow the day after the break that I am slightly dizzy, headaches, my eyes are red. I think that if it doesn't have the necessary sugar, then candida is reduced by the other bacteria and it dies off, but I'm not sure about that either.

Now that you mentioned histamine, I wonder if this could not have been the defendant, but why are the side effects not constant, directly proportional to the frequency with which I consume them but also to the amount I consume ?!

No matter what, I am one hundred percent sure of the fungal problem, and I know that if I don't feed the symbiote in me, it will cause me big, big problems. I fought him with a multitude of natural antifungals, deprived him of sugar, but all I did was put straw on the fire. I worsened my problem so much that I could no longer tolerate a simple cup of coffee or a small mouthful of milk without having terrible itching and tingling in the skin on my face, nose, ears etc. So I have to behave decently with the fungus, at least until I regenerate my body.

Anyway, now I can tolerate more dates, you're right, fiber can be a big problem for some people, but for the constipation problem I had, they turned out to be a miracle, I no longer have headaches when I consume them and no localized pain in the liver area or it could be the ileocecal valve, who knows ?! A limit must be set for them anyway because they are very addictive.

Sefton10

Look, right after I finished my vegetarian diet, which I thought was my salvation and was going to solve my main problem that I still face, but it turned out to be an ordeal and the forerunner of a lot of health problems and of course after I also gave up the carnivorous diet completely, almost raw, I discovered the forum and gradually started adding carbohydrates. I noticed to my surprise that the ones specified here on the forum make sense, I experienced the benefits of adding carbohydrates back to the diet. So at first I couldn't tolerate sugar in any way, I got some useful tips from a few forum members, whom I thank a lot and I started lightly with honey, but no matter the brand, the type of tree or flower, either organic or not, honey created me dubious side effects, extremely strong headaches, at first only from two small teaspoons, eczema on the body, face, so I suspected the too high fructose content compared to glucose, anyway it's just a suspicion, I still haven't found a palpable explanation, later I discovered the dates which also caused me headache, brain fog, pain in the liver area, stomach pain, fatigue immediately after consuming them, which I attributed to insulin sensitivity, even if I was consume them in small quantities at the beginning, 3-7 dates. Over time I was able to tolerate more, 200 grams a period, 300 another period and now 500 g, which I eat throughout the day. Sometimes I take a day or two off and notice in the nights and mornings that follow the day after the break that I am slightly dizzy, headaches, my eyes are red. I think that if it doesn't have the necessary sugar, then candida is reduced by the other bacteria and it dies off, but I'm not sure about that either.

Now that you mentioned histamine, I wonder if this could not have been the defendant, but why are the side effects not constant, directly proportional to the frequency with which I consume them but also to the amount I consume ?!

No matter what, I am one hundred percent sure of the fungal problem, and I know that if I don't feed the symbiote in me, it will cause me big, big problems. I fought him with a multitude of natural antifungals, deprived him of sugar, but all I did was put straw on the fire. I worsened my problem so much that I could no longer tolerate a simple cup of coffee or a small mouthful of milk without having terrible itching and tingling in the skin on my face, nose, ears etc. So I have to behave decently with the fungus, at least until I regenerate my body.

Anyway, now I can tolerate more dates, you're right, fiber can be a big problem for some people, but for the constipation problem I had, they turned out to be a miracle, I no longer have headaches when I consume them and no localized pain in the liver area or it could be the ileocecal valve, who knows ?! A limit must be set for them anyway because they are very addictive.
Sounds like we’ve had similar issues. I just posted an update this morning

Successful protocol for viral/fungal issues and vertigo/tinnitus

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals