How/why Does Eating Muffins Made With SFA Cause Visceral Fat Gain, But Not With PUFA?

Jing

Well I don't know about the study but I know lots of people who eat lots of pufa, margerine rapeseed oil etc. And they are muscular and lean while my fats primary come from saturated I try to avoid pufa as much as possible but I have quite a big belly .

S-VV

Yeah, not only that, but PUFAs are preferentially oxidised over SFA. We do not have the whole story on fatty acids yet.

boris

Yeah, not only that, but PUFAs are preferentially oxidised over SFA. We do not have the whole story on fatty acids yet.

Isn't it the other way around? Selye's study showed that cells prefer SFA when both is present. So PUFA gets stored and then released during stress.

Fats, functions and malfunctions.
"Hans Selye's results, in which canola oil in the diet caused the death of heart cells, but when the animals received stearic acid in addition to the canola oil, their hearts showed no sign of damage."

Unsaturated Fats and Heart Damage – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
RP: “The reason for this increase seems to be that the saturated fatty acids are preferentially oxidized by many types of cell, (fat cells can slowly oxidize fat for their own energy maintenance). Albumin preferentially delivers saturated fatty acids into actively metabolizing cells such at the heart (Paris, 1978) for use as fuel. This preferential oxidation would explain Hans Selye’s results, in which canola oil in the diet caused the death of heart cells, but when the animals received stearic acid in addition to the canola oil, their hearts showed no sign of damage.”

Last edited:

Dino D

Dont read, just stuff your self with sat fat, avoid pufa, avoid your mirror
Read peat, follow forum
Only this is right and the truth

boris

I think this is advisable if one comes from a background of being extremely thin.
Lots of studies I see around the forum (and Peat) say that if you have a healthy weight, keeping dietary fat intake on the lower end is better for longevity.

Kingpinguin

Read peat, follow forum

Why you hanging around here anymore then? You seem to be anti peat? What are you trying to prove or help others to not peat? Whats the motive? The truth?

LuMonty

Read peat, follow forum
I'm forced to agree with KingPinguin. I'm open to non-Peat ideas. A good discussion or reading session is sure to be mentally stimulating. That said, this isn't your only post like this. If you need to train more like you said in a different topic, go work a heavy bag or something and blow off some steam.

boris

"In conclusion, overeating SFAs promotes hepatic and visceral fat storage, whereas excess energy from PUFAs may instead promote lean tissue in healthy humans." -- Overfeeding polyunsaturated and saturated fat causes distinct effects on liver and visceral fat accumulation in humans. - PubMed - NCBI

I think that is about right, but what is being lean from PUFAs worth if you damage your heart and other organs in the process...

Overfeeding polyunsaturated and saturated fat causes distinct effects on liver and visceral fat accumulation in humans. - PubMed - NCBI
"Excess ectopic fat storage is linked to type 2 diabetes. [...] In conclusion, overeating SFAs promotes hepatic and visceral fat storage, whereas excess energy from PUFAs may instead promote lean tissue in healthy humans."

They basically say eating PUFAs is a good way to avoid diabetes type 2... which is caused by PUFAs.

lvysaur

Isn't fatty acid chain length a major confounding factor here? Shorter fats get metabolized easier than longer fats, irrespective of fat saturatedness.

They were fed muffins with what else? I know the oils mentioned, but what about additions like table sugar and milk fats that many muffins have?

Isn't that immediately not a fair comparison when other variables like sugar/carbs are factored in? This isn't just a comparison of palm and sunflower -- it's palm oil and sunflower oil assorted with possibly various other compounds like sugars/carbs (Randle cycle), butter or "shortening" (small PUFA or large), milk fats (whole has significantly more PUFA) plus cornmeal has some PUFA/carbs in it in the first place. What ratios of oils? If you put a tiny pinch of palm oil, for example, in an assortment of PUFAs, you have not much a difference since it's still significantly PUFA only with a little more SFAs than the other group.

Are there any studies that just test nothing but ~25% SFA with ~25% PUFAs (any chain length) as part of daily calorie intake for fats, for example? This seems to have various factors in it that skew leaning one way or the other on just fat types alone. Why not use coconut flour and coconut oil to make one batch, and then regular cornmeal with sunflower oil in the other (with emphasis on no sugar added and/or no milk and only butter, along with entire ingredient procedure reflected as such)?

Also, many traditional recipes use eggs -- more PUFA then on top of other possibilities like cornmeal & fake PUFA "butters" (vegetable oil spreads) which could've been used.

How do we know they only ate the muffins and nothing else? If they were eating a high PUFA diet anyways, what would extra SFA do? Possibly make it worse?

As far as anything else I really can't think of what would explain it. I don't think SFA is non-negotiably "good" and PUFA is entirely "bad" since nothing is so black & white.

I also don't know about the lean gains bit since I don't recall any more leanness/muscle when I ate more PUFAs vs. now.

Last edited:

Jing

I think that is about right, but what is being lean from PUFAs worth if you damage your heart and other organs in the process...
Being overweight also damages the heart and other organs though ? ..

OP
Mr. God of Cars
This study may explain why: Dietary fatty acid composition alters 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 gene expression in rat retroperitoneal white adipose tissue

"The enzyme 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (11β-HSD1) amplifies intracellular glucocorticoid action by converting inactive glucocorticoids to their active forms in vivo. Adipose-specific overexpression of 11β-HSD1 induces metabolic syndrome in mice, whereas 11β-HSD1 null mice are resistant to it. Dietary trans and saturated fatty acids (TFAs and SFAs) are involved in the development of metabolic syndrome, whereas polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) offer protection against this. Here, we report the effects of chronic feeding of different diets containing vanaspati (TFA rich), palm oil (SFA rich) and sunflower oil (PUFA rich) at 10%level on 11β-HSD1 gene expression in rat retroperitoneal adipose tissue. 11β-HSD1 gene expression was significantly higher in TFA rich diet-fed rats compared to SFA rich diet-fed rats, which in turn was significantly higher than PUFA rich diet-fed rats. Similar trend was observed in the expression of CCAAT-enhancer binding protein-α (C/EBP-α), the main transcription factor required for the expression of 11β-HSD1. We propose that TFAs and SFAs increase local amplification of glucocorticoid action in adipose tissue by upregulating 11β-HSD1 by altering C/EBP-α-gene expression. The increased levels of glucocorticoids in adipose tissue may lead to development of obesity and insulin resistance, thereby increasing the risk of developing metabolic syndrome."

Jing

This study may explain why: Dietary fatty acid composition alters 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 gene expression in rat retroperitoneal white adipose tissue

"The enzyme 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 (11β-HSD1) amplifies intracellular glucocorticoid action by converting inactive glucocorticoids to their active forms in vivo. Adipose-specific overexpression of 11β-HSD1 induces metabolic syndrome in mice, whereas 11β-HSD1 null mice are resistant to it. Dietary trans and saturated fatty acids (TFAs and SFAs) are involved in the development of metabolic syndrome, whereas polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) offer protection against this. Here, we report the effects of chronic feeding of different diets containing vanaspati (TFA rich), palm oil (SFA rich) and sunflower oil (PUFA rich) at 10%level on 11β-HSD1 gene expression in rat retroperitoneal adipose tissue. 11β-HSD1 gene expression was significantly higher in TFA rich diet-fed rats compared to SFA rich diet-fed rats, which in turn was significantly higher than PUFA rich diet-fed rats. Similar trend was observed in the expression of CCAAT-enhancer binding protein-α (C/EBP-α), the main transcription factor required for the expression of 11β-HSD1. We propose that TFAs and SFAs increase local amplification of glucocorticoid action in adipose tissue by upregulating 11β-HSD1 by altering C/EBP-α-gene expression. The increased levels of glucocorticoids in adipose tissue may lead to development of obesity and insulin resistance, thereby increasing the risk of developing metabolic syndrome."
Where does it say it's healthy to be overweight in this study?

Kartoffel

Ah, nothing like an old classic. This study definitely needs to be discussed for the 7th time :banghead:

tankasnowgod

The study doesn't even support the title of the thread. Most of the PUFA group gained visceral fat, too.

Attachments

• F2.large.jpg
    F2.large.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 42

nad

"In conclusion, overeating SFAs promotes hepatic and visceral fat storage, whereas excess energy from PUFAs may instead promote lean tissue in healthy humans." -- Overfeeding polyunsaturated and saturated fat causes distinct effects on liver and visceral fat accumulation in humans. - PubMed - NCBI
Not much information.
And Palm oil is only 50% saturated vs palm kernel oil.
In one of his interview Dr. Peat notice that unfortunately even PubMed now sometimes put information you can not trust:think:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals