How vitamin D helps you sleep like a king

ATP

Vitamin D literally got rid of most of my sleep disturbances, such as restless leg syndrome, long sleep onset, nocturia, shallow sleep, bad dreams, random body aches, etc. Diet obvious also played a huge role, but it felt like vit D was that final puzzle piece for me.

Vitamin D supplementation used to always cause insomnia even at low doses such as 2000 IU but when I coupled vitamin D with magnesium, specifically magnesium glycinate, the vitamin D induced insomnia went away even at higher doses such as 10,000 IU. There is a correlation between vitamin D supplementation and magnesium status but do not recall exactly what it is.

DonLore

I
Which forms & Brands of vitamin D do ya'll recommend? (other than sunlight please)
I have found that sunlight is 10x any other means of getting D. Well solarium/UvB works too, but pill vitamin d is just.. not that good and little risky even

Birdie

I haven't noticed a connection between vitamin D and my sleep.

koky

I’ve been using a sperti lamp for 5 minutes every morning for the last 4-5 days and i feel the best I’ve felt since summer.
is this the same model?
Image 1 - Sperti Vitamin D - Scratch & Dent - Full Warranty

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
'How sunlight* helps you sleep like a king' would be more accurate according to most of your points in your article, especially your practical takeaways.

For example, morning sunlight / blue light upon waking is unrelated to Vitamin D (at least not as direct synthesis), but is one of your main takeaways in an article which claims to be about Vitamin D.

I know you're aware of this information but your article is about sunlight exposure, which includes, but is not limited to, Vitamin D. So the title and writing should reflect that.
Good point, but 90% of the research looked at vitamin D and sleep. Only one study looked at sunlight exposure, vitamin D and sleep. So the title is accurate. Trust me, I would have used "sunlight" if I could find more studies backing that.
However, when it comes to light exposure (circadian benefits) and all the other benefits sunlight has, I'd always go with sunlight vs a supps.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I think it would be too reductionistic for me to speculate specifically how. But perhaps it's because it increases serotonin and dopamine in the brain, both of which are excitatory. And when you stop, active D drops and so does dopamine and serotonin. Could definitely be via other pathways as well.
I overlooked that you mentioned D2. I have not looked too deeply into D2, so it might have other unique effects that D3 doesn't have.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Vitamin D supplementation used to always cause insomnia even at low doses such as 2000 IU but when I coupled vitamin D with magnesium, specifically magnesium glycinate, the vitamin D induced insomnia went away even at higher doses such as 10,000 IU. There is a correlation between vitamin D supplementation and magnesium status but do not recall exactly what it is.
Thanks for bringing this up. Yes there is a study showing that vit D increases magnesium requirements.

aniciete

thanx - just ordered on ebay
how long do you use and where on body?
Sperti's website recommends using it just 5 minutes every other day but currently I'm using it 5 minutes every morning because there's absolutely no sun where I live. I rotate exposing different body parts each session so chest, back, legs, back of legs. I also use an incandescent bulb simultaneously when using the Sperti lamp to try to replicate sun exposure.

Dr. B

Sperti's website recommends using it just 5 minutes every other day but currently I'm using it 5 minutes every morning because there's absolutely no sun where I live. I rotate exposing different body parts each session so chest, back, legs, back of legs. I also use an incandescent bulb simultaneously when using the Sperti lamp to try to replicate sun exposure.
which site?

ww3not4me

Must be nice to respond so well. I gradually went as high as 100,000iu a day and never got any relief from anything. I did not get sick at all. Yes I was monitoring my blood work and never got any toxicity or blood calcium out of line at that dose. Yes Iw as taking Vitamin K2 with it. I was at that level for a year and before that I was at 50,000iu per day for about 9 months. My blood Vitamin D was 2X the max limit so I went down to 50,000iu were I stay.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Must be nice to respond so well. I gradually went as high as 100,000iu a day and never got any relief from anything. I did not get sick at all. Yes I was monitoring my blood work and never got any toxicity or blood calcium out of line at that dose. Yes Iw as taking Vitamin K2 with it. I was at that level for a year and before that I was at 50,000iu per day for about 9 months. My blood Vitamin D was 2X the max limit so I went down to 50,000iu were I stay.
I didn't use a supp and I think the sun specifically is much better at improving sleep than a supp.

Dr. B

I didn't use a supp and I think the sun specifically is much better at improving sleep than a supp.
Isnt the sun UV rays? Doesnt it actually damage the skin? Melanin is apparently a response to damage, hence bruising, dark eye color, darkening skin... i wonder if oral vitamin d, and avoiding sunlight is superior to sunlight...

aniciete

Isnt the sun UV rays? Doesnt it actually damage the skin? Melanin is apparently a response to damage, hence bruising, dark eye color, darkening skin... i wonder if oral vitamin d, and avoiding sunlight is superior to sunlight...
It sounds like you work for big pharma

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals