How to treat tonsil stones

Melba

I have tonsil stones that haven't surfaced but the bumps on the tonsils are visible and I am constantly coughing, I have been gargling with every mouth wash I can get hold of and gargle 3 to 4 times a day with salt water, is there anything else I can use to bring them to the surface and expel them?

ThinPicking

Gargle Colgate Peroxyl twice a day or make your own low concentration H2O2 solution (less than 1.5%).​

Also eat a bit more salt with your food and drink a bit less fluid, seems to do beneficial things for mucous to dissolve or dislodge them.

OP
M

Melba

Thanks for your responses, I already gargle with Peroxyl and salt water and am taking vit D supplement ,will continue to do so maybe time will tell

Fairykiller

Mike weren’t very large but I kept stroking them with my tongue or finger from the gums to the surface to help them dislodge and move them in the right direction.

bookshelf

Has anyone ever tried an oral, chewable probiotic? Seems that's supposed to help?

I guess I'd wonder how long is it safe to use an oral probiotic without creating a new set of issues.

My thoughts are, get to the root of why they're happening instead of just treating them. Maybe a chewable probiotic would help? There are studies that the K12 strand really helps tonsils, throats, and ears, so...?

lucid&alive

They sell these tonsil stone kits that have syringes with which you irrigate the crypts with water. That keeps them at bay for me but you have to do it every day.

sunny

In an interview (not sure which one), Peat commented that the stones are white blood cells, so it sounded like it would be infection related. I tried to find it on bioenergetic search with no luck.

bookshelf

A dental hygienist mentioned that sinus drainage can factor in and an ENT had implied that LPR had a role. I'd suppose if those were addressed (which both lead to healing the gut), that could potentially help?

I have tonsil stones that haven't surfaced but the bumps on the tonsils are visible and I am constantly coughing, I have been gargling with every mouth wash I can get hold of and gargle 3 to 4 times a day with salt water, is there anything else I can use to bring them to the surface and expel them?
After reading this I think I would recommend Manuka honey before bed, and gargling with coconut oil too, before the Manuka honey or a couple of times throughout the day…

“I’ve often found it interesting when patients complain they have tonsil stones, considering that tonsil stones don’t really exist. Well, they’re not actually stones. The term is a misnomer. Unlike kidney stones or salivary stones, which are calcified and therefore hard, tonsil stones are soft and stinky, white or yellow balls of solid pus, which form in the crypts of the tonsils. The proper medical term is exudate. They consist of bacteria, white blood cells and protein. At any rate, they’re not particles of food stuck in the tonsils.

Generally, viruses don’t cause exudate. A cold can cause the tonsils to be red, swollen and sore, but tonsillar exudate usually means a bacterial infection. So, what is the source of the bacteria? Sometimes, it’s community acquired, as in the case of strep throat. Other times, it’s a bacterial suprainfection following a viral infection. Acute tonsillitis in these situations often causes pain and fever. However, most of the time, it’s the bacteria in the nose and sinuses, which drip down the back of the throat. These are more long standing conditions. Allergies are a common cause of tonsillar exudate caused by sinus bacteria and post-nasal drip. Chronic tonsillitis is usually less painful. More commonly, patients describe a foreign body sensation, or a feeling like something is stuck in their throat. They will often cough up or hack out these so-called tonsil stones. These malodorous nuggets can be a frequent cause of bad breath.

In the case of viral pharyngitis without exudate, such as a simple cold or sore throat, supportive measures should suffice. Tylenol or Motrin can be given with adequate hydration and rest. The initial treatment of bacterial tonsillitis with exudate involves antibiotics. Most cases of acute tonsillitis will respond to a single course of the properly chosen antibiotic. However, acute tonsillitis may become recurrent, thus making it similar to chronic tonsillitis. In the latter situation, several rounds of antibiotics may be necessary. Chronic tonsillitis presents a more challenging problem. Patients may attempt to dislodge and remove tonsillar exudate with soft, non-dangerous tools, such as Q-tips. However, this is usually futile, as the exudate frequently recurs.

Gargling with warm, salt water or antiseptic mouthwashes is acceptable, but again the relief is usually short lived. Allergy treatment with medications or immunotherapy can be effective at reversing chronic tonsillitis. The goal is to prevent the post-nasal drip, which carries the bacteria to the tonsils. Still, there will always be those cases where none of the aforementioned treatments will solve the problem. Tonsillectomy remains the final solution when tonsillitis persists or recurs, or when peritonsillar abscess develops.”

https://www.entallergy1.com/blog/tonsil-stones-are-they-real#:~:text=Well%2C%20they're%20not%20actually,the%20crypts%20of%20the%20tonsils.

Last edited:

bookshelf

Helpful exchange, thanks for linking it. I, for one, can attest to the fact that low vitamin D isn't always a contributing factor. Mein D level has been stupid high for several months and I continue to get them.

Helpful exchange, thanks for linking it. I, for one, can attest to the fact that low vitamin D isn't always a contributing factor. Mein D level has been stupid high for several months and I continue to get them.
Manuka honey is a powerhouse for many nefarious things, and I bet these tonsil stones wouldn’t stand a chance against it. Take it at night before bed and after brushing. Manuka honey is good for gingivitis too. Another bonus is you’ll wake up with fresher breath in the morning. Get a high UMF number Manuka honey, like a 10+ or higher.

bookshelf

Manuka honey is a powerhouse for many nefarious things, and I bet these tonsil stones wouldn’t stand a chance against it. Take it at night before bed and after brushing. Manuka honey is good for gingivitis too. Another bonus is you’ll wake up with fresher breath in the morning. Get a high UMF number Manuka honey, like a 10+ or higher.
I have used that. I haven't been consistent enough with it to report if it has helped although, I guess it's fair to say that I haven't noticed any lately. Good reinforcement to see this.

bookshelf

The tonsil stones are probably debris from the lymphatic system dead WBCs + calcium?
I've heard or read (or both) that the debris "calcifies" and that there is a calcium component to them. 🤷‍♀️

Referring to what I'd posited earlier, I have to wonder the efficacy of select probiotics and throat sprays like a colloidal silver or herbal preparation. Not that the manuka isn't a good idea in and of itself. I also think that addressing the gut (as it manifests to post nasal drip and reflux) would have to at least help a little.

I have used that. I haven't been consistent enough with it to report if it has helped although, I guess it's fair to say that I haven't noticed any lately. Good reinforcement to see this.
Here is another promising idea…

“Garlic has natural antibacterial properties that help eliminate bacteria contributing to tonsil stone formation. Crush a clove of garlic and mix it with a cup of warm water. Gargle with the mixture for 30 seconds and repeat several times a day until the tonsil stones are gone.”

bookshelf

Here is another promising idea…

“Garlic has natural antibacterial properties that help eliminate bacteria contributing to tonsil stone formation. Crush a clove of garlic and mix it with a cup of warm water. Gargle with the mixture for 30 seconds and repeat several times a day until the tonsil stones are gone.”

Great list! I keep forgetting about the oil pulling! I've been chewing up and eating a clove of garlic every few days (much to my husband's chagrin). :speaknoevil: