How to treat (sun) burns?

qwazy

I was wondering how to best treat a burn on the skin? I went skiing over the weekend and did not use any sun protection. The sun intensity was quite high and I ended up with a sunburn on my face. Now I wonder what some excellent remedies are to topically treat the burn? I have applied urea mixed with water and dmso. It seems to help but are there other things I could do?

Forsythia

Aspirin and niacinamide are both photoprotective. Best taken before going into the sun but also helpful to take after being in the sun. Suggest taking 325 mg aspirin and up to 500 mg niacinamide.

Yucca

After : lavender essential oil, pure, a few drops on skin, aloe Vera mixed can help also.

Before (no burn at all) : astaxanthin at quite large doses (say about 12mg each day at least 1w/10 days before sun exposure)

or : melanotan injections to help tan before sun exposure without burning.

LucyL

Coconut oil. We use the unrefined oil for burns. The trick is to keep the burn coated until it doesn't hurt anymore.

Tim Lundeen

Vitamin E is amazing. The Shutes used a vitamin-e-petrolatum mix with 2-3% vitamin e (don't remember exactly), and it is super fast. We have used IdeaLabs TocoVit mixed with refined coconut (the salycilates in unrefined can exacerbate)

Ray has said red light exposure can help mitigate suburn damage, sorry no reference on hand.

I am also very interested in anything and everything one can throw at high sun exposure and sunburn, both before, during and after, as I will be going on a 10-day boat trip this summer and will be exposed to sunlight basically all day and physical protection only gets you so far.

Perry Staltic

Ray has said red light exposure can help mitigate suburn damage, sorry no reference on hand.

I am also very interested in anything and everything one can throw at high sun exposure and sunburn, both before, during and after, as I will be going on a 10-day boat trip this summer and will be exposed to sunlight basically all day and physical protection only gets you so far.

As mentioned above, astaxanthin supposedly helps a lot of people.

I was wondering how to best treat a burn on the skin? I went skiing over the weekend and did not use any sun protection. The sun intensity was quite high and I ended up with a sunburn on my face. Now I wonder what some excellent remedies are to topically treat the burn? I have applied urea mixed with water and dmso. It seems to help but are there other things I could do?
Aloe vera

Beastmode

Does anyone have any experience dhea cream for sunburns?

I don't burn much these days, especially with a low pufa diet, but I'm wondering how the DHEA might interact with the skin to be effective. @haidut

Perry Staltic

My understanding is astaxanthin is very anti-peaty.

In research I read astaxanthan had the highest quenching ability of singlet oxygen ( a reactive oxygen species, ROS) of any anti-oxidant tested: 6000 times higher than vitamin C, 550 times higher than vitamin E and 40 times higher than beta-carotene. That's probably a big reason why it's so effective against skin damage (sunburn) caused by UV-induced ROS.

Last edited:

Scenes

In peat land the suggestions are load up on vitamin D and niacinamide weeks before sun exposure, then topical and oral niacinamide and aspirin during, then coconut oil/coffee/aspirin/redlight after if burnt.

Also, pufa depletion supposedly makes a world of difference to your tolerance of the sun.

tara

Aspirin and niacinamide are both photoprotective. Best taken before going into the sun but also helpful to take after being in the sun. Suggest taking 325 mg aspirin and up to 500 mg niacinamide.
I think you can dissolve these and apply topically, too.

hierundjetzt

I used to use 99% aloe vera gel from Walmart. It really took out the sting the following day. Even my mother tried it on my suggestion and came back to me really surprised.

As long as you're not alergic to it, I think propolis is the very best for burns, small sores, abrations, etc. Propolis balm should work for sun burns, too.

I used to use 99% aloe vera gel from Walmart. It really took out the sting the following day. Even my mother tried it on my suggestion and came back to me really surprised.
You can also buy one big aloe leaf in the produce section and get a bunch of gel out of it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals