How To Tell What Coconut Oil You Have And Which One Is The Best?

shepherdgirl

I don't think that most of the supermarket coconut oil is hydrogenated. I bought some fully hydrogenated co - it was very pricey. I have never seen it sold in stores, but as someone already said, maybe in a warm climate they would hydrogenate it (although people are already used to using liquid oil for cooking). They tend to use it for soapmaking i think. Fully hydrogenated co has no pufa ( or trans fat - the trans fat is in partially hydrogenated veg. oil, but if it were fully hydrogenated there would be no trans fats), while non-hydrogenated has i think around 2 pct, so it can make a difference if you are trying to deplete pufa as much as possible. However, I think they use a screen made out of Raney nickel to catalyze the hydrogenation of many different oils, so maybe they might use it for co as well. Tiny pieces of the Raney nickel can flake off into the product. By tiny I am talking nanoparticles, which can possibly cause persorption in the blood stream. Also nickel partcles are probably not good for health.

Richard Jehl

I think the most important thing is to make sure that your coconut oil is made from fresh coconuts and not copra (dried coconuts). Copra has much higher mycotoxins than the fresh stuff and I have no idea if the refining or hydrogenation will get rid of them.

Also if its refined make sure they are not using hexane or some other nasty solvent. Try to get organic if possible to not take any chances.

It's true we have to distinguish between oils made with fresh coconuts and oils made with dried substance. I personnally use extra virgin COs made from organic products previously dried at controlled and low temperature and I am completely satisfied with them. It is not white in a perfectly uniform way, so we can see they are not refined. Not absolutely sure about mycotoxins and similar substances always being higher in content in a product derived from dried coconuts compared to a product derived from fresh coconuts...But I intend to buy one day a CO made from fresh coconuts (much more expensive) in order to taste and try it.

Hydrogenated CO is risky due to the industrial process used to make it. I wonder why Dr. Peat is seemingly okay with that.

I agree. In addition even full hydrogenation is said to leave small amounts of trans fatty acids, so that a small quantity remains in the product. I personnally would never eat a partially hydrogenated nor a fully hydrogenated oil of any kind. It is better to accept small amounts of PUFAs in a coconut oil than tolerate artificially made trans acids or other obscure unsafe elements coming from an artificial process we could avoid. We must not become paranoiac about PUFAs. It is true we don't need high quantities in our food to be healthy and that the official recommendations are silly and irresponsible, it is true they oxidize easily and can be very harmful, it is true that saturated fatty acids should be eaten in larger quantities as it was the case in healthy diets from the past, but PUFAs are naturally occuring acids in almost every food, and are part of every normal and natural diet. Please, shall we not all become paranoiac about them !

I think Ray mentioned that unrefined CO can lead to allergies but I havent found that to be the case. Also I would think the less refined the better as who knows what other beneficial stuff you are removing during refining.

I perfectly agree there and haven't either found unrefined CO to be particularly related to allergies.

Last edited:

Fractality

I agree. In addition even full hydrogenation is said to leave small amounts of trans fatty acids, so that a small quantity remains in the product. I personnally would never eat a partially hydrogenated nor a fully hydrogenated oil of any kind. It is better to accept small amounts of PUFAs in a coconut oil than tolerate artificially made trans acids or other obscure unsafe elements coming from an artificial process we could avoid. We must not become paranoiac about PUFAs. It is true we don't need high quantities in our food to be healthy and that the official recommendations are silly and irresponsible, it is true they oxidize easily and can be very harmful, it is true that saturated fatty acids should be eaten in larger quantities as it was the case in healthy diets from the past, but PUFAs are naturally occuring acids in almost every food, and are part of every normal and natural diet. Please, shall we not all become paranoiac about them !

The vitamin E content balances it out anyways. This is also why I don't worry about PUFA in fruit seeds like kiwi. It's about the overall SFA/PUFA ratio and regular coconut oil is plenty fine in that regard.

morgan#1

I read a transcript where ray mentions this brand of coconut oil...he said it was a good brand. Coincidences or not, my x-boss had literally buckets shipped to her house. And when she moved overseas she was still using my services, so she used my address for her mail. And then a bucket came to me/via her. I suppose it was her unknowing parting gift for all the sweet work I did (she was overseas, so it would have been too pricey for me to forward).

https://www.healthytraditions.com/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals