How To Tell What Coconut Oil You Have And Which One Is The Best?

TreasureVibe

Hi there. I have bought coconut oil from the supermarket but it's hardened, and nowhere on the packaging does it say what kind of coconut oil it is other than 100% biological coconut oil. It can be used for cooking, baking, stir frying and *frying till max 160 degrees Celsius*. It should be kept cool and dry. It can also apparently be used as a bread spread according to the package. It has a neutral taste and the smell has been removed according to the package.

So is this dehydrogenated coconut oil, and what is the healthiest coconut oil to use?

Thanks!!

Sunny Jack

This means it is probably refined and therefore not extra virgin cold pressed. It is better and more versatile, in fact, because it will not taste of coconuts, but rather it will be neutral. It is also less likely to be allergenic. Sometimes the cheaper option is the healthiest!

OP
T

TreasureVibe

This means it is probably refined and therefore not extra virgin cold pressed. It is better and more versatile, in fact, because it will not taste of coconuts, but rather it will be neutral. It is also less likely to be allergenic. Sometimes the cheaper option is the healthiest!

But is it hydrogenated or non-hydrogenated and which of the two is the healthiest?

Sunny Jack

Non-hydrogenated is probably the healthiest, because hydrogenated is a trans fat.

It is hard to say whether the refined coconut oil you bought is hydrogenated or not, since refined CO can be both hydrogenated and not.

OP
T

TreasureVibe

Non-hydrogenated is probably the healthiest, because hydrogenated is a trans fat.

It is hard to say whether the refined coconut oil you bought is hydrogenated or not, since refined CO can be both hydrogenated and not.
Is there any way you can recognize by the looks of a coconut oil wether or not it is hydrogenated?

And are unrefined coconut oils often hydrogenated?

B

Braveheart

the question remains...how do you tell, unequiviocally, if it is hydrogenated, if it doesn't say on container?

Sunny Jack

I suppose that if non-hydrogenated is generally seen as healthier then you might expect the company to mention that it is non-hydrogenated somewhere on the label. If there is no such statement, then you can assume the coconut oil you bought is likely to be hydrogenated.

Obviously this isn't a fool-proof strategy, but it might be a good general rule to follow.

cyclops

I suppose that if non-hydrogenated is generally seen as healthier then you might expect the company to mention that it is non-hydrogenated somewhere on the label. If there is no such statement, then you can assume the coconut oil you bought is likely to be hydrogenated.

I'd actually think the opposite, that if it doesn't specifically say its hydrogenated it most likely isn't.

B

Braveheart

Have two bottles in front of me...one is locally handmade 100% virgin stuff...the other Grace Foods 100% Natural Coconut Oil product of Malaysia...very pretty, clean and clear. I am thinking the Grace stuff is hydrogenated for large scale distribution...am trying to find out from them. They might be afraid to label it hydrogenated because that doesn't exactly jive w 100% natural?

tara

But is it hydrogenated or non-hydrogenated and which of the two is the healthiest?
the question remains...how do you tell, unequiviocally, if it is hydrogenated, if it doesn't say on container?
Whether it's hydrogenated or not, it should be solid/hard if it's kept cool.
The temperature at which it melts would be an indicator of whether or not it is hydrogenated. From wikipedia:
"Hydrogenation
RBD coconut oil can be processed further into partially or fully hydrogenated oil to increase its melting point. Since virgin and RBD coconut oils melt at 24 °C (76 °F), foods containing coconut oil tend to melt in warm climates. A higher melting point is desirable in these warm climates, so the oil is hydrogenated. The melting point of hydrogenated coconut oil is 36–40 °C (97–104 °F)."​

x-ray peat

I think the most important thing is to make sure that your coconut oil is made from fresh coconuts and not copra (dried coconuts). Copra has much higher mycotoxins than the fresh stuff and I have no idea if the refining or hydrogenation will get rid of them.

Also if its refined make sure they are not using hexane or some other nasty solvent. Try to get organic if possible to not take any chances.

Fractality

Hydrogenated CO is risky due to the industrial process used to make it. I wonder why Dr. Peat is seemingly okay with that.

LUH 3417

I think the most important thing is to make sure that your coconut oil is made from fresh coconuts and not copra (dried coconuts). Copra has much higher mycotoxins than the fresh stuff and I have no idea if the refining or hydrogenation will get rid of them.

Also if its refined make sure they are not using hexane or some other nasty solvent. Try to get organic if possible to not take any chances.
Which brand do you use?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals