How To Tell If Cortisol Is Low Or High? (interested In Trying Cyproheptadine)

I've had long term chronic fatigue and almost continual cycles of "fight or flight" for the last few years. Effectively 6/7 physical panic attacks every day.

Online, some authors associated high anxiety and fatigue with high cortisol. Others tie it to low cortisol as in adrenal insuffiency, or cortisol burnout that may happen over time. I know that 24 hour tests can establish this. However, an order of cyproheptadine just arrived, and I'm keen to see if it might improve my condition.

My only concern is just that cortisol may already be low, in which case cypro may not be a good idea. I'm already quite ill, so don't want to worsen my condition.

1. Are there any simple ways to tell whether you're low or high cortisol?

2. Could low dose (ie 0.5mg) cypro be potentially hazardous for low cortisol?

opiath

Low stomach acid, low bile flow, low saliva, low sweating and weak abdominal stabilization are all symptoms of low cortisol.
These are usually controlled by thyroid function but when it goes down cortisol can keep them up for a while.
Until it burns out.

OP
J
Low stomach acid, low bile flow, low saliva, low sweating and weak abdominal stabilization are all symptoms of low cortisol.
These are usually controlled by thyroid function but when it goes down cortisol can keep them up for a while.
Until it burns out.

I'm not sure how to assess what quantifies as low / weak with these. But thyroid function seems ok (TSH 1.3 ish and normal readings).

I'm very heat intolerant, so maybe that qualifies as low sweating.

In terms of bile duct, Gamma-glutamyl transferase was low / below the normal range. Bile duct problems usually have a high gamma gt?

Any thoughts?

wintagal

I've had long term chronic fatigue and almost continual cycles of "fight or flight" for the last few years. Effectively 6/7 physical panic attacks every day.

Online, some authors associated high anxiety and fatigue with high cortisol. Others tie it to low cortisol as in adrenal insuffiency, or cortisol burnout that may happen over time. I know that 24 hour tests can establish this. However, an order of cyproheptadine just arrived, and I'm keen to see if it might improve my condition.

My only concern is just that cortisol may already be low, in which case cypro may not be a good idea. I'm already quite ill, so don't want to worsen my condition.

1. Are there any simple ways to tell whether you're low or high cortisol?

2. Could low dose (ie 0.5mg) cypro be potentially hazardous for low cortisol?

Three simple tests: Postural hypotension, iris contraction test, Sergents's white line.
I would add: hypoglycemia, low blood pressure, salt craving or low salt/high potassium in blood work, dark patches on skin and mucous membranes.