How To Tell If An Orange Is Ripe?

Filip1993

Right now I'm drinking a lot of flash pasteurized orange juice (Voelkel brand). I would like to start drinking some freshly squeezed everyday in addition to my store bought orange juice. How exactly does one tell when oranges are ripe?

Kasper

Taste them... if they are sour, they are not ripe.
If they are sweet, they are ripe.

If you buy some very sour oranges, just let them ripe for a week or 2.

Mittir

I have read that ripening of orange stops once it is removed from the tree.
But some non-climacteric fruits ( fruits that stops ripening after picking)
get softer and lose some acidity over time in storage. They do not consider it ripening.
But, you can experiment with sour orange to see if they get sweeter over time.

Kasper

I've exerpimentated a lot with sour oranges.
They do get sweeter and softer.
Maybe it is not called ripening, but it tastes like ripening.

L

Lord Cola

When oranges are ripe, do they have any sourness at all? I've never tasted an orange that didn't have at least a hint of sourness... maybe I've never tasted a ripe orange. Even frozen concentrate that is available to me, which is pretty sweet, has a strong sour taste.

Nomane Euger

When oranges are ripe, do they have any sourness at all? I've never tasted an orange that didn't have at least a hint of sourness... maybe I've never tasted a ripe orange. Even frozen concentrate that is available to me, which is pretty sweet, has a strong sour taste.
i havnt tasted all variety,but for those i tasted yes the ripes ones have 0 sourness,i have found that the ripe-est ones have a soft skin,not rough,your finger slide on it,there is small brown dots on it,not small cavities,at the bottom of the orange there is a circle, a few centimeters of circonference,when you peel off the skin it is almost already separated from the flesh,you dont have to force,when you eat it,there is almost no residue in your mouth that has not been already absorbed or mixed up with your saliva,its almost like juice,and you feel fantastic afterward

L

Lord Cola

i havnt tasted all variety,but for those i tasted yes the ripes ones have 0 sourness,i have found that the ripe-est ones have a soft skin,not rough,your finger slide on it,there is small brown dots on it,not small cavities,at the bottom of the orange there is a circle, a few centimeters of circonference,when you peel off the skin it is almost already separated from the flesh,you dont have to force,when you eat it,there is almost no residue in your mouth that has not been already absorbed or mixed up with your saliva,its almost like juice,and you feel fantastic afterward
Thanks for the amazingly detailed response. I may have never tasted a ripe orange.

Nomane Euger

Your welcome,I did a year of fruitarian with out knowing what’s a perfectly ripe fruit,nightmare,loose stool every morning.i also noticed not perfectly ripe fruits give me a rash in my right ear canal in the seconds I swallow it,I get the same with higher histamine foods

akgrrrl

Selecting an orange is about the weight.
You pick up one, and begin comparing to others in the group and select the heaviest therefore juiciest ones.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals