How To Stimulate Bone Growth?

tara

The things I can think of include: adequate minerals (eg Mg, Ca), vitamins (eg. D, K), calories (+ve energy balance), CO2 (eg. address any aware or unaware hyperventilation with bag-breathing or other breathing exercises) and weight-bearing exercise (eg walking with upright posture, not overtraining) should help.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

tara said:
post 100414 The things I can think of include: adequate minerals (eg Mg, Ca), vitamins (eg. D, K), calories (+ve energy balance), CO2 (eg. address any aware or unaware hyperventilation with bag-breathing or other breathing exercises) and weight-bearing exercise (eg walking with upright posture, not overtraining) should help.

sounds good. thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

HDD

Ray Peat said:
Thyroid and progesterone, unlike estrogen, stimulate bone-building, and are associated with a decreased risk of cancer. It seems sensible to use thyroid and progesterone for their general anti-degenerative effects, protecting the bones, joints, brain, immune system, heart, blood vessels, breasts, etc.

Parsifal

I believe that astronauts are doing rebounding exercises (because they loose a lot of bones in space) it is said that it is the best exercise to stimulate bone growth without being traumatic.

HDD

RP: Yeah, that has lots of ramifications including the immune system, which they were looking at some white blood cells. But Bone cells are very responsive to the difference in carbohydrate. And about 35 years ago, someone fed different groups of rats either a high starch diet or a high sugar diet, I think it was sucrose in that case, and gave 2 of the groups a Vitamin D-deficient diet and another group got the Vitamin D and a standard food ration. And after they had been on that diet for a while and they tested the strength of their bones, and the Vitamin D deficient diet that got starch had rickets-type bones, early calcified, weak and basically defective, as you would expect from a Vitamin D deficiency - but those on the high sucrose diet without Vitamin D had strong, well-calcified bones surprisingly. It apparently was the increased CO2 production, from the catalysed higher metabolic rate, and the carbon dioxide is largely responsible for proper calcification of bone.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

HDD said:
post 100450 RP: Yeah, that has lots of ramifications including the immune system, which they were looking at some white blood cells. But Bone cells are very responsive to the difference in carbohydrate. And about 35 years ago, someone fed different groups of rats either a high starch diet or a high sugar diet, I think it was sucrose in that case, and gave 2 of the groups a Vitamin D-deficient diet and another group got the Vitamin D and a standard food ration. And after they had been on that diet for a while and they tested the strength of their bones, and the Vitamin D deficient diet that got starch had rickets-type bones, early calcified, weak and basically defective, as you would expect from a Vitamin D deficiency - but those on the high sucrose diet without Vitamin D had strong, well-calcified bones surprisingly. It apparently was the increased CO2 production, from the catalysed higher metabolic rate, and the carbon dioxide is largely responsible for proper calcification of bone.

interesting. do you think the results would be similar to the high sucrose fed rats if someone were eating a combined high sugar + high starch diet?

Lightbringer

tara said:
post 100414 The things I can think of include: adequate minerals (eg Mg, Ca), vitamins (eg. D, K), calories (+ve energy balance), CO2 (eg. address any aware or unaware hyperventilation with bag-breathing or other breathing exercises) and weight-bearing exercise (eg walking with upright posture, not overtraining) should help.

Great advice, the only thing i'd want to add in is elevating the Ca:P ratio which generally implies lowering meat & grain consumption.

HDD

TheHound said:
HDD said:
post 100450 RP: Yeah, that has lots of ramifications including the immune system, which they were looking at some white blood cells. But Bone cells are very responsive to the difference in carbohydrate. And about 35 years ago, someone fed different groups of rats either a high starch diet or a high sugar diet, I think it was sucrose in that case, and gave 2 of the groups a Vitamin D-deficient diet and another group got the Vitamin D and a standard food ration. And after they had been on that diet for a while and they tested the strength of their bones, and the Vitamin D deficient diet that got starch had rickets-type bones, early calcified, weak and basically defective, as you would expect from a Vitamin D deficiency - but those on the high sucrose diet without Vitamin D had strong, well-calcified bones surprisingly. It apparently was the increased CO2 production, from the catalysed higher metabolic rate, and the carbon dioxide is largely responsible for proper calcification of bone.

interesting. do you think the results would be similar to the high sucrose fed rats if someone were eating a combined high sugar + high starch diet?

Sugar increased metabolism in the rats which increased CO2. I would think that if high metabolism is achieved with both sugar and starch then it would work as well.

Capt Nirvana

I believe that astronauts are doing rebounding exercises (because they loose a lot of bones in space) it is said that it is the best exercise to stimulate bone growth without being traumatic.
NASA experimented with Olympic trampolines, and rejected them in favor of treadmills. Everything else is marketer's myths to sell mini-trampolines, lymphasizers, rebounders, etc. (I'm in favor of mini-trampolines for other reasons than building bone.)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals