How to sterilize water?

Hermes

In case water isn't accessible anymore through the communal water supply, I'll be filling 20-liter tanks with water from a nearby lake. So the idea. How would you sterilize the water so it's not a concern to drink it? There are pills available from camping stores, but I'm not sure how safe they are. I appreciate any thoughts and ideas.

Perry Staltic

Ozone destroys everything. You can get cheap ozone generators specifically for ozonating water.

OP
Hermes

Hermes

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking about the not-so-sure-how-likely blackout. So an ozone generator is not feasible.

Jam

Lugol's iodine.

OP
Hermes

Hermes

Lugol's iodine.
I've heard of iodine's capability to sterilize water which works equally well as chlorine which for some reason is rather pushed to be used in pools instead. Thanks for the suggestion. Googling around, I've found this piece of information:
To disinfect water with iodine, you need liquid iodine (2%) or iodine tablets. If you use tablets, follow the directions on the package. If you use liquid iodine, follow the directions listed below. You can buy iodine at most drugstores and some outdoor supply or camping stores.

Liquid iodine works best when you add it to warm water at a temperature of 20˚C (68˚F).

To treat warm water, add 5 drops (0.25 mL) of iodine to 1 litre of water. Mix the iodine and water together. Let it stand for at least 30 minutes before drinking.
To treat cold water at a temperature between 5 to 15˚C (41 to 59˚F), use the same amounts as for warm water, but let it stand for 40 minutes before drinking.
If the water is cloudy, add 10 drops (0.50 mL) of iodine to 1 litre of water and let it stand for the times listed above, depending on whether the water is warm or cold.
source: Using Disinfectants to Make Drinking Water Safe When You Can’t Boil it

Makrosky

A drop of bleach OR (not and) a drop of Lugol. To preserve it stored.

Then just boil it when needed. Boiling is still what kills most critters. Someone posted a study sometime ago about it.

That combo will kill mostly everything.

Makrosky

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking about the not-so-sure-how-likely blackout. So an ozone generator is not feasible.
A bottle of Lugol iodine is a MUST on any prepper kit. Disinfects, heals, stimulates metabolism if needed, doesn't go bad, it is cheap, occupies little space, can protect the thyroid from radiarion if needed, etc.

Chlorine Dioxide would be good for prepping. Can substitute a lot of antibiotics/virus/fungus/parasites as it kills everything.

Jam

So, an initial boil will eliminate everything. Then Lugol's for preservation.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals