How To Start On Pregnenolone?

milk_lover

Hello.
I had this cheap pregnenolone, 10mg each capsule:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson- ... mg-90-caps
I just take 1 capsule and fell fatigued and sleepy. Is this normal on this low dose?
Maybe should I take it before bed?
Thank you very much.
This is an old thread, but I took 50 mg pregnenolone and it actually made me energetic. I took another 50 mg and still energetic. Hmm, I don't know if it's decreasing my stress hormone or not.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hello.
I had this cheap pregnenolone, 10mg each capsule:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson- ... mg-90-caps
I just take 1 capsule and fell fatigued and sleepy. Is this normal on this low dose?
Maybe should I take it before bed?
Thank you very much.

Low doses stay as pregnenolone and a little may metabolize into progesterone. Both pregnenolone and progesterone are GABA agonists and low doses pregnenolone has been shown to increase sleepiness and improve sleep in humans. In higher doses the effects may be different as some pregnenolone will convert into pregnenolone sulfate (PS) and DHEA-S, both of which are GABA antagonists

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is an old thread, but I took 50 mg pregnenolone and it actually made me energetic. I took another 50 mg and still energetic. Hmm, I don't know if it's decreasing my stress hormone or not.

See my response to the original poster. In higher doses pregnenolone will elevate levels of downstream steroids that are GABA antagonists and also in higher doses pregnenolone may also have an effect on the bile acid "receptor" thus raising metabolism. See below.
How Pregnenolone And Progesterone Raise Metabolism

milk_lover

See my response to the original poster. In higher doses pregnenolone will elevate levels of downstream steroids that are GABA antagonists and also in higher doses pregnenolone may also have an effect on the bile acid "receptor" thus raising metabolism. See below.
How Pregnenolone And Progesterone Raise Metabolism
Thanks haidut for the info. So you are not a fan of large doses of pregnenolone? Do pregnenolone sulfate (PS) and DHEA-S have health benefits? Peat was taking large does for an extended time and he thinks it's safe in general. I just don't know where to start with pregnenolone to be honest. I have DHEA and pregnenolone pills.

OP
L

Lucas

Hello.

Thank you very much for answer on that thread, but I think that Dhea and Pregnenolone are not for me.

10 mg pregnenolone even if taken before bed make me feel like crap the other day, so I wake up tired and fell tired all day.

The same problem I get with Dhea. I take 5 mg dhea before bed and sleep to much, wake up tired and fell tired all day.

The problem is that I have high cortisol and low dhea-s , so I need to increase my dhea-s levels to balance the cortisol, and maybe this is why t3 or t4 + t3 don’t work for me, I fell nothing.
:(:(:(

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thanks haidut for the info. So you are not a fan of large doses of pregnenolone? Do pregnenolone sulfate (PS) and DHEA-S have health benefits? Peat was taking large does for an extended time and he thinks it's safe in general. I just don't know where to start with pregnenolone to be honest. I have DHEA and pregnenolone pills.

Oh, I am absolutely a fan of any dose pregnenolone. All I am saying is that the dose would depend on what you are trying to achieve. Raising PS is desirable in conditions like schizophrenia and even melanoma.
Pregnenolone For Protection Against Melanoma
DHEA-S is the steroid most strongly associated with health in males, but I think this is only because studies on the correlatin between progesterone / pregnenolone and health nave not been done yet.

I take pregnenolone some days. I find that too much numbs my penis, so I avoid it on days when I'm planning no having sex. The effects seem to be diminishing in any event.

milk_lover

Oh, I am absolutely a fan of any dose pregnenolone. All I am saying is that the dose would depend on what you are trying to achieve. Raising PS is desirable in conditions like schizophrenia and even melanoma.
Pregnenolone For Protection Against Melanoma
DHEA-S is the steroid most strongly associated with health in males, but I think this is only because studies on the correlatin between progesterone / pregnenolone and health nave not been done yet.
I would like pregnenolone to stay pregnenolone or convert to progesterone to oppose estrogen and prolactin (I am not sure if pregnenolone reduces prolactin though) without converting to DHEA because I already supplement with DHEA. Low dose seems the viable option, but what do you think the cut-off dose would be before we see pregnenolone convert to PS and DHEA-S?

sladerunner69

I take pregnenolone some days. I find that too much numbs my penis, so I avoid it on days when I'm planning no having sex. The effects seem to be diminishing in any event.

I experience the same effect, I suspect it is due to a large amount of preg being converted to progesterone. Progesterone desensitizes the male organs.

skycop00

Have we seen anything on pregnenolone converting to Estrogen? Is small dosing multiple times a day better than one large daily dose based on Estrogen conversion?

milk_lover

I experience the same effect, I suspect it is due to a large amount of preg being converted to progesterone. Progesterone desensitizes the male organs.
Thanks for sharing both of your experiences. Desensitized penis seems like a negative side effect of pregnenolone, on what dose do you start to experience that?

sladerunner69

As an estimate i would say anything above 50mg, or above 100mg daily. I think there are other factors that influence conversion of pregnenelone to downstream hormones.

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is a good thread on the topic that might help answer your question.
Pregnenolone (should) Lower Estrogen Levels

Thanks Blossom. Also, there are two human studies with pregnenolone effects on szhizophrenia and both used doses in the range of 400mg - 500mg for several weeks. None of these studies showed change in estrogen levels but did show large increases in progesterone, allopregnanolone, pregnenolone and pregnenolone sulfate levels.

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut this (Ray Peat Email Advice Depository) may pertain to your Panasterone supplement.

Yep, that is perfect, thanks for sharing! I was hoping somebody would ask Peat that question and (in a sense) validate my design of Pansterone. It is really quite logical if you think about it. Together, pregnenolone and DHEA are the precursors of all other steroids and should be able to be used as a very safe form of HRT. In fact, they are used as such in some European countries. I had a discussion with a Russian user on another thread about the combination of pregnenolone and DHEA being used in Russia as a treatment for andropause. Not sure why it is not used more mainstream in the Western world, but I suspect lack of profit (for now) is the main motive.

I take pregnenolone and DHEA. DHEA in small 5mg - 15mg per day quantities.

The penis numbing effect seems to come from 100mg or more. I haven't tried lower dosages. Ray seems to believe that pregnenolone is stored up and can be taken infrequently, such as 300mg once per week, for great effect.

I believe it IS converting to progesterone. One thing that Ray hasn't really ever spelled out to my knowledge is how much progesterone should a male really have? My estrone was high. I believe I could use lower estrogen for sure. Progesterone opposes estrogen. But too much definitely affects sexual performance in men, and I believe cuts libido and will shrink the penis at some point.

I'm puzzled why some men experience what I do, and others do not. And what the right amount of progesterone is. I do not take progesterone itself very often as I find it makes the penis numbing effect MUCH worse.

Incidentally, I think that lysine also diminishes erection quality, not sure about that but it is a current working theory of mine.