How To Relax

iLoveSugar

Best techniques outside of sugar to be in a relaxed state as possible? Supplements? Massage? Techniques? Im so stressed and tense like I'm hanging on for dear life. Headaches and fatigue daily. I just wanna feel free and calm with a splash of energy.

Last edited:

Vileplume

Best techniques outside of sugar to be in a relaxed state as possible? Supplements? Massage? Techniques? Im so stressed and tense like I'm hanging on for dear life. Headaches and fatigue daily. I just wanna feel free and calm with a splash of energy.

Have you tried epsom salt baths? Also, when I eat higher calorie, I have fewer panic attacks

Jem Oz

Make an elixir of aspirin, niacinamide, a dash of baking soda and .5 mg cypro. Always calms me down.

+1 on eating more.

good luck.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

I'm fat. And continuing to gain. Eating more is not an option.

LLight

I hadn't supplemented with iodine for a long time and did it again recently.

I really got a 'I don't give a ****' feeling after that and something tense relaxed.

LLight

Lugol Increases Lipolysis through Upregulation of PPAR-Gamma and Downregulation of C/EBP-Alpha in Mature 3T3-L1 Adipocytes
Abstract
"Overweight and obesity are defined as excessive and abnormal fat accumulation that is harmful to health. This study analyzes the effect of different concentrations of the lugol solution (molecular iodine dissolved in potassium iodide) on lipolysis in cultured 3T3-L1-differentiated adipocytes. The mature adipocytes were treated with doses from 1 to 100 µm of lugol for 0.5, 6, and 24 h. The results showed that mature adipocytes exposed to lugol decrease their viability and increase caspase-3 activity with a lethal dose (LD50) of 473 µm. In mature adipocytes, lugol decreased the total intracellular lipid content, being significant at doses of 10 and 100 µm after 6 and 24 h of treatment (P < 0.01), and the accumulation of intracellular triglycerides decreased after 24 h of exposure to lugol (P < 0.05). Lugol treatment significantly increases the release of glycerol to the culture medium (P < 0.05). The levels of adipocyte-specific transcription factors C/EBP-α were downregulated and PPAR-γ upregulated after 30 min with lugol. These results indicate a lipolytic effect of lugol dependent on PPAR-γ and C/EBP-α expression in mature 3T3-L1 adipocytes."

Discussion
"This study evaluated the ability of iodine to directly induce lipolysis in mature 3T31-L1 adipocytes. It has been previously reported that iodine uptake requires NIS and PEN transporters [28]. In this regard, previous studies have reported that adipose tissue expresses the iodine transporter NIS [23], which is in agreement with our results where we show that only mature adipocytes express the two mRNA of NIS and PEN transporters. This study shows that expression of NIS and PEN is regulated by transcription factors involved in adipocyte differentiation, such as the SREBP transcription factor [29, 30]. Transcriptional upregulation of the NIS gene by SREBP could be mediated by a functional binding site located in the NIS 5′-flanking region, which is not necessary for TSH-dependent NIS gene regulation. This indicates that regulation of the NIS gene by SREBP is important in extra thyroidal tissues that accumulate iodine and are not regulated by TSH [6]."

"Thus, iodine nutrition alterations may be involved in the pathogenesis of obesity, suggesting that iodine is important on the maintenance of proliferation/lipolysis balance in adipose tissue. However, more research is required in order to know the exact mechanism of action of iodine in adipocytes."​

SREBP increases the expression of the sodium/iodide symporter NIS. The LXR is known to activate SREBP.
Adipocytes need iodine too.

You may be interested by this one.

Aspekt

I don't think you need more supps, what will help to is restore parasympathetic/sympathetic balance through a physical intervention, either specifically targeted like Trauma Release Exercises or even just stretching thoroughly will be beneficial. Same thing applies to a lot of people in here, if you're all tight you won't be able to relax and food won't digest effectively. Doesn't matter how nutrient rich the diet is if your diaphram doesn't move properly.

GelatinGoblin

This guy helped me personally. He isn't a genius or perfect but his works and videos have real merit and I command them. Real useful wisdom. Strongly recommend checking some of his videos with a neutral view.

Peatful

Not dietary- but if you’re on social media- get off; plus no TV if you can.
It will help exponentially.

johnwester130

magnesium glycinate

valerian
chamomile/passionflower/lemon balm

Elize

Try breathing techniques by Wim Hof

Wim is also known as the iceman .

You can also look up Mantak Chia on YouTube. Choose the healing videos that resonates with you.

Best wishes

AdoTintor

I worry that the Wimhoff breathing and cold baths protocols are not particularly Peat consistent because they involve getting a buzz from massively increasing adrenalin - from the stress of depriving normal breathing or from the stress of cold. A bit like the buzz people get from ketogenic/paleo diets.

However, I used to do the cold baths in winter and once you get past the initial 15 seconds of adrenalin trying to get you to leap out of the bath it is undeniable that it results in a new phase of complete calmness and total relaxation (to the extent that you relax so much you risk urinating) - not sure chemically why this happens but I assume that in order to help you "think you way out" of the problem the body allows use a calm period to figure out an escape. So is the net effect good, overloading adrenal receptors so you feel relaxed?

Elize

I do the basic 30 breaths one round only not the cold bath and shower part as those made me feel hyper but just one round of breathing help to feel warmer and calmer.

Asprin etc caused me salycilate toxicity.

gaze

to be honest, i think loneliness or boredom is a bigger stressor than tv and social media. i think i saw somewhere that people slept better if they watched a TV show or youtube before bed, because seeing other people is relaxing. if you can replace TV and the internet with real social interaction of course that would be much better, but not very accessible in the current climate.

Ben.

Wim is also known as the iceman .

I worry that the Wimhoff breathing and cold baths protocols are not particularly Peat consistent ...

I tried wim hof and while it helped for the first week with my vision issues and overactivated nervous system the more often i did the tubo breathing the more my issues got worse. Even started to fall unconcious a few times and my breathing started to feel blocked most of the time.

The great thing about wim hof/tubo is that you are consciously switching between your sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. Basicly teaching people how to manage stress. And here comes the big BUT ... if you are already to stressed out for w/e reason, tubo - as in hyperventilation simulation or breath holds - will trigger a stress response which can be enough for some people to cause issues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much rather you start practicing calm, slow breaths trough your nose (imagine a baby sleeping). Like 4-6 seconds slowly in and 3-5 seconds slowly out. YOu can expirment yourself but doing holds inbetween doesnt do as much for parasympathetic nervous activation for me (which i feel in my head, at the backside).

Or you try breathing that focuses on the diaphragma. In a Interview James Nestor talks about the the science of breathing. In this he mentions lateral breathing which you do if you focus on your diaphragma. On this website: lateral breathing is explained kind of. Tbh feels good breathing like that.

Also music, like breathing is very powerful to trigger your parasympathetic nervous system. You need to find which one does it for you tho. Start with different lofi hiphop beats or check different binaural beats on youtube.

I posted this already somewhere else but i think it fits here:

I am no expert, but in terms of vagus nerve stimulation i'd like to add my 2 cents for what someone could do:

• Calm breath and having thoughts of gratitude before eating
  • gut smashing or
  • massaging the lower back side of the head and/or the area behind the ear
  • heat bottle and stomache massages
  • Breathwork (the kind that is calming [like a baby would when it sleeps], not stressing)
Below i explain where i got this from:

Laura Poe explains in an awsome video on youtube by the title Beyond Probiotics at the 28:30 minute mark to take a calm breath and be grateful or use thoughts of gratitude to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system and get into the "Rest and Digest" mode. I get an amazing reactions from this, the same i would when doing calming breathwork. She's apparantly a big fan of herbs, bitters and such for stimulation and asghwanda for "calming" the stomache down.

Breathing is imo one of the best ways to get your vagus nerve and w/e else is accompanying it to activate. I think that's also the reason why Wim Hof is so succesful in the first place. Laird Hamilton explains this fairly well in a Joe Rogan Interview. Steve Maxwell explains it on an London Real interview on youtube fairly well too. There are many breathing excersices, but i guess with all things one should find what works best for him/herself. For me its a slow breath in and a slow, but slightly faster breath out that works wonders (imagine how a baby breaths while sleeping).

Shawn Stevenson recommends in his book "Sleep Smarter" to do "gut smashing" right before bed (doesn't have to be right before bed ... but perhaps you shouldn't do it right after eating a big meal).
"What we have you do is literally lay on a softball or lay on a princess ball you get at CVS or Walgreens, you know the balls that are there? They are about $3. If you spend ten minutes, five to ten minutes, ungluing your abdominal musculature just rolling back and forth, stopping when it hurts, contract relaxing, just breathing into that ball, ungluing your diaphragm, ungluing the mess that is the inability of your abdominal tissues to slide over one another and this will work. It is very safe. You will not pop a kidney. That’s not how it works. But it does trick your parasympathetic nervous system into turning on and it is one of the ways we are able to get people to down regulate."

In the Book "Neuronale Heilung" (its german - not sure if there is a english version) they give an insane amount of vagus nerve stimulation excercises for various issues. Basicly stimulating our parasympathetic nervous system to help with various health issues.
For digestive issues they say that any "comfortable pressure" and "warmth" to the stomache should be used as a solid basis while adding vagus nerve stimulating excerscise like breathing excersices or tongue excersices/rotation or ear/lower backside of the head massages. I'd like to take pictures but i think that would be problematic with copyright.

BearWithMe

This x1000

I would say no mainstream media at all - no TV, no newspapers, no radio, no online news.

Plus avoid toxic people, that talk about the above all the time. Avoid toxic people in general.

The effect won't be immediate, but it will make absolutely huge difference over time.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals