How to reduce stroke volume and cardiac output? Famotidine?

Electrisio

I've done posts before on symptoms of heart pounding and bounding pulse that I can't get rid of. I've had all the cardiac tests which show nothing is drastically wrong, except perhaps that my left ventricle is relatively large and my blood volumes are high, especially my stroke volume. My heart rate is low, around 45-50 and my blood pressure is lowish at 100/60. My cardiologist suggests that I need to get my heart rate up in order to reduce stroke volume. The high stroke volume is in theory what is causing my excessively strong pulse. There aren't really any medications that can help me that much. I tried beta blockers but they actually made the problem worse, which I believe is due to the slowing of the heart and increased stoke volume. The problem is unusual so I am having to think out of the box in terms of things to try as I've exhausted the normal avenues. I came across some studies showing that famotidine may be able to achieve the effects of what I am looking for:

Anyone had experience with it or perhaps know anything else that could exert the effect I am looking for?

InChristAlone

I don't remember everything you have tried but caffeine raises blood pressure, have you tried consuming lots of coffee?

OP
E

Electrisio

I don't remember everything you have tried but caffeine raises blood pressure, have you tried consuming lots of coffee?
I cut out coffee because that is typical advice when having heart issues, but today I had some and its definitely helped.

InChristAlone

I cut out coffee because that is typical advice when having heart issues, but today I had some and its definitely helped.
That's good. I can't have caffeine because my heart rate is typically 80-90 and then caffeine can raise that to over 100 for a few hours. But for people with low pulse I would think it would be a good benefit.

aliml

In a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study, 12 patients with congestive heart failure were successively treated for 1 week each with placebo, 40 mg famotidine, and 1000 mg quinidine. On the seventh treatment day, heart rate, blood pressure, systolic time intervals, impedance cardiography, and Doppler ultrasound were measured. Heart rate and blood pressure were not markedly altered by either drug. By contrast, quinidine and famotidine significantly decreased stroke volume and cardiac output.
Interestingly, famotidine and quinidine, like caffeine, are agonists of extra-oral bitter taste receptors (TAS2Rs), which are also expressed in heart tissue and blood vessels.
Bitter taste receptor agonists usually have a diuretic effect, and dehydration also reduces stroke volume and cardiac output.

OP
E

Electrisio

Interestingly, famotidine and quinidine, like caffeine, are agonists of extra-oral bitter taste receptors (TAS2Rs), which are also expressed in heart tissue and blood vessels.
Bitter taste receptor agonists usually have a diuretic effect, and dehydration also reduces stroke volume and cardiac output.
That is really interesting. After starting coffee again I noticed I was holding a lot less water. I’ve decided against famotidine as lots of people have reported palpitations from it. Going to try parsley tea for diuretic effect, hoping it’s less stimulatory than coffee.

aliml

Elevated serum uric acid may reduce stroke volume and cardiac output.
Estrogen increases the excretion of uric acid, but androgens decrease it.