How To Reduce Serotonin

Capt Nirvana

Serotonin is critical in emergencies for man or beast or weed. Serotonin puts the "Ouch!" in many defense poisons, including varieties of the following: hornet venom, scorpion venom, wasp venom, snake venom, Gila monster venom, toad venom, sting ray venom, blue-ringed octopus venom, imperial cone snail venom, banana spider venom, etc. It's also the "Ouch!" in stinging nettle. According to Ray Peat, "Serotonin research is relatively new, but it rivals estrogen research for the level of incompetence and apparent fraudulent intent that can be found in professional publications."

sladerunner69

When I wrote this I was in the mood to play devil's advocate and wanted to engage someone in meaningful debate. I do try to keep my serotonin low, and generally benefit greatly from it. I am happy pretty consistently.

Capt Nirvana

Personally i d9nt fully understand the prescripton to lower serotonin when there is so much research to suggest that serotonin is the "happy" chemical. My friend qho uses 5htp to increase serotonin production says he feels great all day. I think stress hormones may contribute to degenerative conditions when being consistently relied upon, but generally are useful because they play a role in human psychology that gives us emotional drive and energy and important feelings and sensations. When i follow low serotonin protocol I will feel sometimes very borred and emotionless, like nothing in the world matters to me at all.

If serotonin was simply a bad thing, then why wouod it exist at all? It has to serve a purpose physiologically, towards the maintenence of good health.
One reason serotonin exists is as a defense chemical. It's most of the PAIN in scorpion venom, wasp venom, snake venom, Gila monster venom, toad venom, sting ray venom, blue-ringed octopus venom, imperial cone snail venom, banana spider venom, and the sting of nettle. According to Ray Peat, "Serotonin research is relatively new, but it rivals estrogen research for the level of incompetence and apparent fraudulent intent that can be found in professional publications."

sladerunner69

One reason serotonin exists is as a defense chemical. It's most of the PAIN in scorpion venom, wasp venom, snake venom, Gila monster venom, toad venom, sting ray venom, blue-ringed octopus venom, imperial cone snail venom, banana spider venom, and the sting of nettle. According to Ray Peat, "Serotonin research is relatively new, but it rivals estrogen research for the level of incompetence and apparent fraudulent intent that can be found in professional publications."

What are you saying about venoms here? I'm not sure you thoroughly explained your point on that.

Paul85

Salt calcium water meat(only) & b2(not activate mao) to oxidase serotonine ..... dosen't help ! Rise my body Temp and cut out my appetite for 8/9 hours !!! I don t know HOW to reduce this !!! Maybe one week i don t Eat nothing with Tryptophan ......

Frankdee20

When I used 5htp back in 01 to help with insomnia, little did I know what a mistake that would play out to be... it helped initially and even lifted my spirits but after a week or two, severe anxiety, severe Akithisia, severe depression and fibromyalgia symptoms ensued for many years to come, and I couldn’t take any supplements for years.... Tryptophan at night was probably a better idea, but it took me so long to recover that I would never touch 5htp again.

CalmAmygdala

I think we all agree that we want to keep serotonin low.... but eradicate it completely, or have it "too low?" Is that a phenomenon that can exist as well? I am trying to figure out wtf is going on with me currently as I stopped taking Paxil 6 weeks ago. I am having difficulty figuring out whether my serotonin levels are too low or too high.... I was feeling okay earlier today and then took some Activated charcoal and coc oil along with a doxycycline in an attempt to lower my serotonin, and it immediately plunged me into a depressive, fatigued state that was worse than i was before (before wasnt good either but not as bad).

This experience got me thinking that perhaps too LOW serotonin could also be detrimental. Similar to estrogen: low estrogen is great as a male, but TOO LOW wreaks absolutre havoc and is an overall horrifying experience.

This study (maybe its more of a meta analysis - dont know correct terminology) seems to suggest that too low serotonin can be harmful to both mood and cognition

What do others think? is having serotonin in that "sweet spot" (low end of normal) the ideal, similar to estrogen? if it is tanked too low can that be harmful? Anyone tanked serotonin too low and had a negative experience?

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

What do others think? is having serotonin in that "sweet spot" (low end of normal) the ideal, similar to estrogen? if it is tanked too low can that be harmful? Anyone tanked serotonin too low and had a negative experience?

Either too much or too little of serotonin is bad. It is an essential molecule. Homeostasis is key.

tankasnowgod

I think we all agree that we want to keep serotonin low.... but eradicate it completely, or have it "too low?" Is that a phenomenon that can exist as well? I am trying to figure out wtf is going on with me currently as I stopped taking Paxil 6 weeks ago. I am having difficulty figuring out whether my serotonin levels are too low or too high.... I was feeling okay earlier today and then took some Activated charcoal and coc oil along with a doxycycline in an attempt to lower my serotonin, and it immediately plunged me into a depressive, fatigued state that was worse than i was before (before wasnt good either but not as bad).

This experience got me thinking that perhaps too LOW serotonin could also be detrimental. Similar to estrogen: low estrogen is great as a male, but TOO LOW wreaks absolutre havoc and is an overall horrifying experience.

This study (maybe its more of a meta analysis - dont know correct terminology) seems to suggest that too low serotonin can be harmful to both mood and cognition

SSRIs do more than simply increase serotonin. Some of them increase Allopregnanolone, and can even act as antagonists on some of the 5-HT "receptors." Taking AC and doxy and Coconut Oil could have led to some intestinal irritation too, which could have caused it's own issues, possibly an increase in serotonin.

If you really want to find out where your serotonin levels are after stopping an SSRI, you should probably do some blood work, as everything else is a guess. Many of the SSRIs have long terms effects, so it's also possible your serotonin levels were elevated even if you stopped taking it 6 weeks ago.

Here's a thread from a while ago where Peat was asked specifically about Prozac and the mechanism of action-

Last edited:

Brandin

I don't see why this wouldn't in theory be possible.

I'm still undecided about SSRIs. Anecdotally, I know a lot of people who have found them very helpful, bit they definitely have a bad reputation on here. I guess I need to see more studies confirming why they are so bad, and what they are doing to make things so bad. Although clearly nobody had a complete understanding of how they work.
Yes it helps you not feel bad but also lowers good feelings such as empathy, motivation, drive and energy. Also eventough it lowers feelings of sadness it also lowers feelings of pleasure and joy.

Brandin

Yes sometimes it reduces anxiety too much though. One needs some anxiety to function.
What, dont understand why. myself function better on high gaba, dopamine, androgens and low serotonin, cortisol. Feels amazing and makes me extremely empathetic to my friends that deserve it. Find myself more disgusted by pshycos tho...