How To Raise EGFR And Lower Creatinine

Tarmander

I have a friend whose kidney labs have been falling pretty consistently in the last couple years.

She is at the point now that she is just getting into kidney disease range (under 60 GFR) and wants to try things to mitigate this

Kidneys are notoriously difficult to regenerate. Other then lowering BP, most doctors will say raising GFR is almost impossible.

I am wondering if there are any specific stories you guys know of people raising their GFR and what they used?

Taurine is one option as seen in this thread: Taurine Improves Kidney Function (eGFR, Edema, Hyperuricemia)

Also getting out of any kind of EMF environment seems to work as EMF is looking like it causes kidney disease.

Anything else?

InChristAlone

Remember Grant Genereux was diagnosed with severe kidney disease and completely healed. Whether it was the vitamin A I am not sure but it is one angle to look at. High blood pressure for sure will damage the kidneys.

S-VV

Enterically coated sodium bicarbonate seems to be somewhat helpful, by alkalising the body and reducing the work exerted by the nephrons to get rid of H+.

lampofred

All I can think of is getting lots of calcium and vitamin D, keeping starch/iron/phosphate at 0, and making gelatin the main source of protein.

Nicole W.

Stinging nettle tea was always the traditional remedy for kidney disease I believe.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Remember Grant Genereux was diagnosed with severe kidney disease and completely healed. Whether it was the vitamin A I am not sure but it is one angle to look at. High blood pressure for sure will damage the kidneys.
yes she has cut back on VA. I like Grant's n=1 but its a bit unclear on cause/effect

Stinging nettle tea was always the traditional remedy for kidney disease I believe.
was it the root? leaves? extract?

nice thanks for that

Nicole W.

yes she has cut back on VA. I like Grant's n=1 but its a bit unclear on cause/effect

was it the root? leaves? extract?

nice thanks for that
I believe herbalists use all three. Nettle is a diuretic and a blood purifier. I think nettle can effectively lower creatinine. I drink nettle for a variety of reasons but one is to prevent stones in the kidneys and gallbladder. All the minerals, vitamin k and chlorophyll is nice too.

Nicole W.

I believe herbalists use all three. Nettle is a diuretic and a blood purifier. I think nettle can effectively lower creatinine. I drink nettle for a variety of reasons but one is to prevent stones in the kidneys and gallbladder. All the minerals, vitamin k and chlorophyll is nice too.
Sorry... leaves, roots and seeds is what I meant by all three. The tea is usually just leaves.

InChristAlone

Look up the Kempner diet of rice and juice. His diet showed rapid improvement in kidney failure.

Vinny

Is she up for extreme things or no?

InChristAlone

for sure

have you ever heard a modern story of someone repeating his results? I dont think I have
No, but if I had severe kidney disease I'd probably try a modified version.

InChristAlone

how would you modify?
I'd probably do more fruit like bananas less white rice which would probably cause major nutrient deficiencies over time. And include cheese. Basically my base diet right now lol.

yerrag

That is the prevailing wisdom. I really doubt that has been proven.

My creatinine level in 2002, at around 1.1, is still the same now. At that time, my blood pressure was normal. 18 years later, my blood pressure has increased greatly, to 180/120 and even higher.

My eGFR has gone down, simply because the formula used to calculate eGFR depends on creatine and age as inputs. It would make sense at first glance, as there's a high degree of correlation of kidney filtration rate to age. But that just assumes we all conform to that correlation. There are people much younger who have really low GFR, and much older people in good health who have high GFR (and not eGFR).

I could be wrong, but I believe that it's precisely allowing my body to determine the level of my blood pressure has kept my kidneys from deteriorating. That level of pressure is needed to keep my kidneys well-nourished and its wastes removed.

Perhaps the corollary is what's correct: Kidney dysfunction will cause high blood pressure.

InChristAlone

That is the prevailing wisdom. I really doubt that has been proven.

My creatinine level in 2002, at around 1.1, is still the same now. At that time, my blood pressure was normal. 18 years later, my blood pressure has increased greatly, to 180/120 and even higher.

My eGFR has gone down, simply because the formula used to calculate eGFR depends on creatine and age as inputs. It would make sense at first glance, as there's a high degree of correlation of kidney filtration rate to age. But that just assumes we all conform to that correlation. There are people much younger who have really low GFR, and much older people in good health who have high GFR (and not eGFR).

I could be wrong, but I believe that it's precisely allowing my body to determine the level of my blood pressure has kept my kidneys from deteriorating. That level of pressure is needed to keep my kidneys well-nourished and its wastes removed.

Perhaps the corollary is what's correct: Kidney dysfunction will cause high blood pressure.
You are probably right. That's just the prevailing thought.

yerrag

I also question the idea that creatinine levels are high because the kidneys are not filtering creatinine at the rate is should be filtering it.

If that were the case, shouldn't creatinine be on a steady rate of increase over time? Yet, that isn't the case.

I can think of one reason why creatinine levels are high: lower blood volume. This makes creatinine levels appear higher of course, given that creatinine is measured at creatinine per volume of blood.

yerrag

One way you could disprove the idea of poor creatinine filtration is to take a 24 hour urine test. The amount of creatinine excreted can be measured, and you'll see that there's still a lot of creatinine being excreted.