How To Quit The Daily 50mcg T4?

broozer

since 6 months i have been taking 50mcg t4 in the morning. i somehow feel worse than before i used it (cold hand,feet,).
i never was hypothyroid though, TSH mostly between 1,5 and 2.
how should i quit? slow taper or cold turky?

Beefcake

since 6 months i have been taking 50mcg t4 in the morning. i somehow feel worse than before i used it (cold hand,feet,).
i never was hypothyroid though, TSH mostly between 1,5 and 2.
how should i quit? slow taper or cold turky?

My sister had same dosage she quit cold turkey. Half life is like 1 week so its quite slow. When you feel worse what’s your symptoms? Cold hands and feet. On that dosage I would assume youre burning through carbs fast resulting in high cortisol which releases adrenaline. That Constrics your blood vessels which in turn makes your extremities colder. You also have high pulse and shaky hands? You could also have a problem converting that T4 to T3. I would maybe try to go down to 25mcg and up your carbohydrate intake.

ShotTrue

I would just quit, if you are not hypothyroid and it sounds like your condition is worse.
There are 5 thyroid hormones, T1,T2,T3,T4, calcitonin. T4 sup will result in the suppression of natural hormone production, and you only get T4 and T3 through synthetic.
I would experiment with herbs and other things to actually get TSH down to below 1

OP
B

broozer

I would just quit, if you are not hypothyroid and it sounds like your condition is worse.
There are 5 thyroid hormones, T1,T2,T3,T4, calcitonin. T4 sup will result in the suppression of natural hormone production, and you only get T4 and T3 through synthetic.
I would experiment with herbs and other things to actually get TSH down to below 1
ok. which herbs would you recommend? minerals qould be iron,zinc,magn, and iodine?

Dobbler

Have you read Rays, Haiduts and Danny Roddys thoughts on pure T4? Its basicly worse than taking no thyroid . Maybe you could try adding some T3, like 30 mcg T4 and 10 mcg T3. Or maybe try even pure T3.

OP
B

broozer

Have you read Rays, Haiduts and Danny Roddys thoughts on pure T4? Its basicly worse than taking no thyroid . Maybe you could try adding some T3, like 30 mcg T4 and 10 mcg T3. Or maybe try even pure T3.
no i dont know their opinion and why its worse than taking no thyroid. in the beginning it gave me some energy, but now there is a lack of energy. my face got leaner, but i gained 5 cm around the midsection.

Lucas

Strange, but I am taking 50 mcg of T4 (Synthroid) and If I reduce the dose to 25 mcg I feel worse in just one hour. Maybe I am a very good converter of the T4 in T3.

OP
B

broozer

Curcumin, ashwagandha, iodine, Vitamin C. I would use turmeric or curcumin if it’s only a TSH elevation
ashvagandha i like its effect. at what daytime and how many grams? curcumin im sceptik, it gave me strong feelings of brain fog and slowed thouhgt process.
can i cover all those with good food ?
TSH was 1,5 but t3 in the upper and t4 in the midrange...felt ok

ShotTrue

ashvagandha i like its effect. at what daytime and how many grams? curcumin im sceptik, it gave me strong feelings of brain fog and slowed thouhgt process.
can i cover all those with good food ?
TSH was 1,5 but t3 in the upper and t4 in the midrange...felt ok
perhaps curriculum is 5 ar/dht for you. If it comes from food sources thats fine but i dont think ashwagandha does. I dont know doses

ShotTrue

At such a low TSH i think youre much better off trying to lower it slightly with natural foods/supps than taking synethic, suppressive thryoid ad infinitum

The fact is that many people MUST take T3 to recover from hypothyroid. I am one of those. NDT and/or T4 can make things worse by increasing rT3. This is why so many people do not thrive on NDT or just T4. In theory, some NDT does include some T3, but it is not enough.

Most people will increase NDT or T4 and eventually it may kick in so your body is producing enough T3 and not so much rT3 but that is a hard way to go. Better to simply purchase Tyronene or similar T3 product and start that, taking 3mcg - 6mcg every few hours.

Over time I am told it will become unnecessary as your body recovers its own thyroid function. Dr. Peat says 6 months to a year. You still take some T4 or NDT but temperatures and thyroid are fixed by the T3.

ShotTrue

The fact is that many people MUST take T3 to recover from hypothyroid. I am one of those. NDT and/or T4 can make things worse by increasing rT3. This is why so many people do not thrive on NDT or just T4. In theory, some NDT does include some T3, but it is not enough.

Most people will increase NDT or T4 and eventually it may kick in so your body is producing enough T3 and not so much rT3 but that is a hard way to go. Better to simply purchase Tyronene or similar T3 product and start that, taking 3mcg - 6mcg every few hours.

Over time I am told it will become unnecessary as your body recovers its own thyroid function. Dr. Peat says 6 months to a year. You still take some T4 or NDT but temperatures and thyroid are fixed by the T3.
I'll have to keep that in mind. It's not my largest goal but lowering TSH to ideal is one of my goals.

Steve

I'm pretty sure I've heard Ray say that men can be just fine taking T4 only..........not all men of course, but it sounded like it would be ok in many cases.

OP
B

broozer

im now constantly at 37,5mcg. feeling like on the right track in my very slow tapering process.

bloods:

TSH 0,88
fT4 13 (8-18)
fT3 5 (3-7)

are these okay for my dosage?

OP
B

broozer

im on 37,5 since june 8th. i had terrible bloods by july with fT3 at only 3. can i hope to recover natural thyroid funcition and slow taper off?

Opioidus

If I've learned one thing from reading Peat is to trust what my body is telling me, t3 makes me so tired I can't get out of bed, t4 boosts my energy, motivation, brain power and strenght. And I have perfect thyroid function in all the tests, but without synthetic thyroid I have 22 different hypothyroid symptoms.