How To Protect From PUFA On Vacation

jack_zen

I'am going on a trip to travel around in Thailand for 3 weeks soon. Looking forward to have some tasty Thaifood but I guess they use a lot of cheap PUFA oils for cooking.

What can I do to limit the harmful effects from the PUFA?

-Vitamin E - 400 IU daily?
-Aspirin (should also be good against sunburn)

is it a good idea to eat some coconut oil with every meal for the SFA to PUFA ratio?
any other suggestions?

Runenight201

When you eat rice, ask for it to be plain boiled instead of oil added to it.

Coffee

Lots of oj and fruit

Lastly just enjoy the trip and keep a good state of mind. Even if you’re taking a lil dietary hit, a positive psychological experience can trump everything :)

yerrag

Vitamin E is the best thing to counter the PUFAs, as avoiding them isn't possible. I think that increasing your antioxidant stores with Vitamin C and glutathione would also help, as vitamin C recycles vitamin E, and glutathione recycles vitamin C. I'll take NAC as NAC is a precursor of glutathione.

If you're eating street food, it's good to have these antioxidants especially as the oils they use for cooking may not only be PUFA, but could be reused PUFA cooking oils. It's odd that even in these tropical countries that make coconut oil, more often than not it's the PUFA oils being used.

managing

Stearic acid. I stuff it into capsules and just pop one or two during a meal I know is likely to contain pufa.

yerrag

Stearic acid. I stuff it into capsules and just pop one or two during a meal I know is likely to contain pufa.
How does that help? Not in the way vit E helps I suppose. Is it to change the mix to increase SFA over PUFA? Why not palmitic acid or other SFAs? Is it because it's solid and convenient to carry around and take with you?

B

Braveheart

"If you're eating street food, it's good to have these antioxidants especially as the oils they use for cooking may not only be PUFA, but could be reused PUFA cooking oils. It's odd that even in these tropical countries that make coconut oil, more often than not it's the PUFA oils being used."

ignorance about nutrition and powerful marketing....

I would think Thailand might be easier to find better fats. I would think that coconut oil is quite cheap there. Maybe ask to have your food cooked with coconut oil or just order all the coconut milk based dishes like curries and soups.

yerrag

"If you're eating street food, it's good to have these antioxidants especially as the oils they use for cooking may not only be PUFA, but could be reused PUFA cooking oils. It's odd that even in these tropical countries that make coconut oil, more often than not it's the PUFA oils being used."

ignorance about nutrition and powerful marketing....

it's marketing...

.. create demand

olive

Fruit in Thailand is cheap and delicious. I’d recommend living off fruit during the day. At night when eating out opt for coconut milk based meat curries with rice. For dessert opt for sticky mango rice - mango is high in vitamin e and the rice is cooked in coconut milk, offsetting SFA:PUFA ratio.
Avoid the entrees as they’re usually fried.

If drinking avoid spirits and opt for beer instead. Reports of methylated spirits or equivalent being backfilled in bottles of spirits are not uncommon.

Orlistate. Period. Prescription-free in Thailand.

And dont do thai massage with all those traditionally made massage balms. They are full of essential oils and pufa. I recommend you to buy your own coconut oil and bring it with you to any massage place you go.

milk_lover

And dont do thai massage with all those traditionally made massage balms. They are full of essential oils and pufa. I recommend you to buy your own coconut oil and bring it with you to any massage place you go.
Or just do Thai massage with no oil.

Or just do Thai massage with no oil.
Im not sure you can get a proper thai massage without any balm/oil in Thailand. In my experience they refuse to do it and will try to convince you to use at least a small amount of balms or oils and this is I believe is good sign of professionalism. In some temples there are some really old massage schools and this is the best way to get therapeutic massage with almost immediate results in general well-being. When you get 2 hours session at least 1/3 is made with movements literally impossible to be done with out any lubrication.

milk_lover

Im not sure you can get a proper thai massage without any balm/oil in Thailand. In my experience they refuse to do it and will try to convince you to use at least a small amount of balms or oils and this is I believe is good sign of professionalism. In some temples there are some really old massage schools and this is the best way to get therapeutic massage with almost immediate results in general well-being. When you get 2 hours session at least 1/3 is made with movements literally impossible to be done with out any lubrication.
I get why people like to have oil in their massages but the smell besides PUFA is very stubborn to leave. I don't like it. For me, no oil looks more professional as it reduces any potential to slide the hand down there suddenly and do the deed. Get an old strong woman to massage you with your clothes on so the clothes sliding can simulate the oil. No turn on, extreme professionalism.

johnwester130

coconut oil
vitamin e

niacinamide
aspirin
caffeine

are the best ways

the glycine in gelatin protects too

managing

How does that help? Not in the way vit E helps I suppose. Is it to change the mix to increase SFA over PUFA? Why not palmitic acid or other SFAs? Is it because it's solid and convenient to carry around and take with you?
I asked Ray about it. Something to do with preventing PUFA inhibition of sugar metabolization. But the "no fear of melting" makes it convenient compared to others. I can carry in my pocket (in a capsule) in the summer and no melting.

yerrag

I asked Ray about it. Something to do with preventing PUFA inhibition of sugar metabolization. But the "no fear of melting" makes it convenient compared to others. I can carry in my pocket (in a capsule) in the summer and no melting.
Thanks. Stearyl alcohol is also solid. I may try that.