How To Properly Chop Off A Kitten's Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
yerrag

yerrag

It's beyond me why people are trying to help you. You're very nasty. You've already tried reasonable home cures. Would it kill you to take it to the vet?
It's not beyond me why you think that way.

Thanks for not being nasty though.

The scary part about good intentions is when it's mixed with ignorance and misguided fear.

And thanks for not putting another Jeez in.

Last edited:

Robert5493

My dog had a none healing ulcerous wound on his paw.
Antibiotics and prescription ointments provided no respite, and the vet recommended amputation.
We packed his paw in granulated white sugar twice a day in a little foot pouch, and in 3 days the ulcer had closed up and stopped weeping.
2 weeks later, there was pink clean skin.
A year later, the hair still hasn't grown back on that spot and one toe looks bigger than it should, but otherwise he's happy and still 4 legged.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Antibiotics would be my first course of action. Some little bits of penicillin a few times a day hidden well in a fatty treat to mask the bitter taste.
Thanks. That would certainly help.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I will be honest with you and implicitly with me at the same time, I am not melted for cats, but I don't hate them either, I had the joy to grow up surrounded by dogs and even cats, cats are thieves, that's why I didn't go after them, but it is admirable their style of hunting and how smart they are. I liked the dogs and I like them a lot, due to the fact that they are very loyal. Animals in essence are quite amazing, they give you reasons to love life.
Cats multiply a lot, and they become a nuisance because of that in many places. They aren't outwardly appreciative of their owners as much as dogs. If they're treated the same way as people, cats would be called leechers and dogs workers - by nature a dog serves many functions, depending on the breed. Some dog breeds have become extinct because mechanization and automation have made them obsolete. So it's understandable in many places cats are treated differently.

But because the world is getting smaller, such attitudes are not as widespread as before. But as a boy, cats were just feral mostly. They seem to fend for themselves, but probably they have a short life but the dumpster was always there to hide the unsightliness of it. It took me staying in the US for a while to see a different way cats were treated - even the ones with no pedigree. I had a roommate who showed me if the cat wants to leave your lap or does not want to be carried anymore, let him go and he will trust you more. And it's true. Essentially, you treat them like you would treat a person. So that's the way it's been with my cats. I also think that cats teach us the concept of unconditional love. Some cats are just aloof by nature, and you accept them the way they are. They are the biggest leechers, but you love them just the same.

Not so long ago there were not so many veterinarians and the man had to act. We have become too comfortable over time, I hope we do not forget to chew, once the device that chews your food will appear.
Funny, our construction workers, in the past and even to a large extent, don't have lots of tools. But it's funny the amount of improvisation they have to do, and although their work is hands-down more shoddy, often having to eye-ball ending up with rooms that are anything but rectangular or square, their brains are developing. Not surprising there is a saying "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

Play billiards and go bowling. You'll see how many people are good at using their brain to eye-ball. They use their brain a lot, and they usually can add easily. Perhaps less so with bowling. But the regular bowlers by practice get to add quickly. Practice makes perfect.

Yes, there are exceptional "doctors" who have bomb knowledge. I have met many ordinary people, they do not have the position or doctorate, but their theory is due to exceptional practice and not the other way around. It may sound strange, but it is the pure truth. There are also many doctors and various medical or other staff who are incompetent, unfit to perform their duties that they have obtained fraudulently or through other unorthodox methods, but I do not think this is new to anyone. My wish is that the knowledge of ordinary people is not lost and passed on, but it does not depend on me how things will go unfortunately. However, I choose to remain optimistic and hope that this will happen!
A lot of knowledge is not written. These are called traditions. They are not science, but they aren't manipulated either. The fake sciencers define evidence-based in a way to marginalize tradition. Marginalization makes for extinction. And when everyone starts saying "go to the vet" it isn't a good sign.

I also have some marks on my body, hands, under my chin that are due to the activities or games from childhood that I gladly wear, I consider them precious memories.
Being child-like means we are willing to discover, and are not set in our ways. In discovering, we earn these marks.

I'll add this: Rome was built by farmer-soldiers. What we would not call amateurs. They were not "professionals." They provided for their family and for their state. They also defended their state and the state grew. Prosperous, they delegated to professionals. Mercenaries. And Rome fell to the mercenaries, in due time.

Want to depend on professionals and experts for everything? Be my guest.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

Good news to the Bimbap's well wishers.

It is looking like his tail his healing. The infected tail end is no longer being sensitive to touch. It has formed a more stable crust that appears to resemble normal wound healing. Yesterday, I had to stealthily drop the mixture from a pipette into his solution, while he was distracted drinking milk from a bowl. Today, I had to do the same thing, but he didn't mind anymore. Since overnight the wound healed very well, and I suspect the kitten is intelligent to know it was good juju, he allowed me to drop more of the medicine, even flipping his tail to let me apply to the previously hard to reach side (the underside) of his tail.
I
It's very hard to gain the trust of a cat and I try to avoid having to restrain him to get the job done. I hope this healing stays on track, but right now I have to reason to believe otherwise.

So what did I use? I used a 30% DMSO solution with about 8 mg of copper acetate and 1 mg of methylene blue. A treatment is about 1.5 ml of the solution.

1628484396106.png

@Missenger Your link showed that if the tail were to be cut, it had to be cut in between the bone section of the tail. This would minimize pain, and I think this applies even if there were anaesthesia, as after the anaesthesia wears off, cutting off the bone section itself would definitely hurt.

Thank you all for making me delay the surgery, and for the suggestions on how to treat the wound, and what to use as an anaesthetic as well.

I'm glad though that going to the vet isn't my first option, as the vet a limited set of medicine. He likely would not have used what I used, and he would just as well surgically remove part or all of the tail.

I know, it's premature. But I'll let you know if I had been faked.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Here he is eating a Peaty piece of cooked green leaves:

1628485129344.png

And here he is waiting in his spot when I eat. He expects to get some of what I eat. Does he look like a cat in great pain? He is very jovial and plays with his elders, and this time he won't cry out occasionally because the tail isn't sensitive anymore to a little contact during rough play:

1628485364357.png

Quelsatron

It's beyond me why people are trying to help you. You're very nasty. You've already tried reasonable home cures. Would it kill you to take it to the vet?
it's malignant narcissism, the point is to satisfy his """"peaty""""" philosophy (self-assured worldview tube fed from some authority).

mariantos

Here he is eating a Peaty piece of cooked green leaves:

View attachment 26363

And here he is waiting in his spot when I eat. He expects to get some of what I eat. Does he look like a cat in great pain? He is very jovial and plays with his elders, and this time he won't cry out occasionally because the tail isn't sensitive anymore to a little contact during rough play:

View attachment 26364

Nice, it looks like it wasn't as complicated as we thought. I am glad that the progress towards complete recovery is obvious.

Speedy recovery!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Nice, it looks like it wasn't as complicated as we thought. I am glad that the progress towards complete recovery is obvious.

Speedy recovery!
Thanks! I still have my fingers crossed.

LucyL

Yeah, sounds cruel, but really no. Kitten walked in the house, somehow invited by my two other cats.

Eewws are understandable, but I have to do what I have to do.

@yerrag, this thread (smh). Anyway, I had a kitten whose tail was damaged from birth, and I took it to the vets for partial amputation. 1) the kitten was not put under for the procedure, I think they may have injected a little local anesthesia. But basically, 2) they applied a tourniquet a little above the damaged area, and snipped with heavy clippers. Kitten hollered, unfortunate, but the best way for them to do the procedure. The kitten was young, under 6 weeks at the time of the surgery. 3) A couple stitches were applied afterward. Kitten healed fine and lived just fine.

Here's an old text on docking tails in dogs. Docking Tails That's basically what you are going to be doing. Of course any modern enhancements you can find for pain relief and antibiotics afterward will be beneficial.

LucyL

How about starting a GoFundMe for vet expenses? It sounds like you don't want to pay for that.

Please take the kitten to the vet.

For reference - A spay and neuter at PAWS is 1000 P.P. (1000 Philippine pesos = about $20 USD) - VET SERVICES: Does PAWS offer vet services?

The surgery needed should be approximate at PAWS, somewhat more at a vet, maybe 2x?
You know what the vet's going to do? Cut the tail off. Maybe the vet will put in a couple stitches, but odds are he won't even put the cat under. Fine to pay someone to do it for you if you want to, but don't do so out of a belief in WCM (white coat magic).

OP
yerrag

yerrag

@yerrag, this thread (smh). Anyway, I had a kitten whose tail was damaged from birth, and I took it to the vets for partial amputation. 1) the kitten was not put under for the procedure, I think they may have injected a little local anesthesia. But basically, 2) they applied a tourniquet a little above the damaged area, and snipped with heavy clippers. Kitten hollered, unfortunate, but the best way to do the procedure. The kitten was young, under 6 weeks at the time of the surgery. 3) A couple stitches were applied afterward. Kitten healed fine and lived just fine.

Here's an old text on docking tails in dogs. Docking Tails That's basically what you are going to be doing. Of course any modern enhancements you can find for pain relief and antibiotics afterward will be beneficial.
Thanks LucyL. I think a link by Missenger showed an improvement over the procedure described in the link you gave. If the space between the bone sections of the tail can be located, that would be where the cut would be made. I was at the start thinking of using a cleaver, but that would not give me a precise strike and I could be chopping a bone. That may be why the dog hollered despite the local anesthetic. But certainly, general anesthesia is overkill for me. I don't know why but there's a tendency to standardize to the lowest common denominator, and the lcd is general anesthesia to satisfy people's low tolerance. And with the tendency to anthropomorphize, animals also get general anesthesia far too often than necessary.

boris

You know what the vet's going to do? Cut the tail off. Maybe the vet will put in a couple stitches, but odds are he won't even put the cat under. Fine to pay someone to do it for you if you want to, but don't do so out of a belief in WCM (white coat magic).

The belief in white coat magic is deep rooted and a result of many decades of brainwashing. Even after taking my health into my own hands, my first instinct when my cat had an infected abcess on his lip was to go to the vet immediately. Instead I relaxed and thought about what I would have done for myself. Some penicillin for 2-3 days cleared it up completely. The same „instinct“ kicked in when the other cat developed bad eczema on his ears. A few weeks of adjusting his diet showed the eggeshell powder to be the culprit and the eczema cleared up after ditching it.

What would the vet have done?

I salute you for not being afraid to take matters into your own hands, @yerrag. Scolding you for not taking it to a vet is the same as scolding you for not going to a hospital for covid or scolding you for not getting vaxed, no difference.

Last edited:

Birdie

He uses a Vet already. He is an old-time and respected member here.

LucyL

The belief in white coat magic is deep rooted and a result of many decades of brainwashing. Even after taking my health into my own hands, my first instinct when my cat had an infected abcess on his lip was to go to the vet immediately. Instead I relaxed and thought about what I would have done for myself. Some penicillin for 2-3 days cleared it up completely. The same „instinct“ kicked in when the other cat developed bad eczema on his ears. A few weeks of adjusting his diet showed the eggeshell powder to be the culprit and the eczema cleared up after ditching it.

What would the vet have done?

I salute you for not being afraid to take matters into your own hands, @yerrag. Scolding you for not taking it to a vet is the same as scolding you for not going to a hospital for covid or scolding you for not getting vaxed, no difference.
100%. This belief in WCM when it comes to animals is ending as badly as it has in humans. First come the insurance companies, and then the government will back them up. Already we're at a point where if we want to take care of our own health we have to go to the farm store. What happens when we delegate the responsibility to take care of our own animals? Humans are only screwing themselves even deeper when they accept WCM for their animals.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

100%. This belief in WCM when it comes to animals is ending as badly as it has in humans. First come the insurance companies, and then the government will back them up. Already we're at a point where if we want to take care of our own health we have to go to the farm store. What happens when we delegate the responsibility to take care of our own animals? Humans are only screwing themselves even deeper when they accept WCM for their animals.
This COVID vaccine the dog and cats would understand more than humans if only they just went to nursery.

The rabies vaccine is a longstanding hoax but replicated now in humans. Not only do they not need booster shots, they also don't need the shots.

How prevalent is rabies? Just as prevalent as being hit by lightning. But hey, it's about protecting humans.

But narrative is as old as time itself. And we wonder why so many of our dogs have congenital diseases. And why we need to spend more money on our pets just to keep them alive. Chronic disease manufacturing is species-neutral.

Forsythia

I agree. We must return to being more self-reliant.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thank you guys for sharing the spirit!

Michael Mohn

I haven't read the the entire thread. I first thought the title was joke. I'm happy the cat is still alive. Have you considered antibiotics or some riboflavin + uv ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom