How To Properly Chop Off A Kitten's Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
yerrag

yerrag

The first vet, at the shelter, only amputated half of it. It didn't heal correctly so we brought our dog to our regular vet, and he amputated the remainder of his tail, save for the nub. It was getting infected, so we took him in for medical care.

Your response seems really snarky and condescending. If you know what is best, why are you even posting? Truly weird. This forum is turning into a real dumpster fire. I honestly don't even know why I bother with it. I'm out. I'll pray for your kitten.
Didn't that just prove the first vet didn't know what he was doing? That a second vet needed to finish the job for him?

So much for good advice when you really didn't have a good experience.

Still, the vet is the straight and narrow path to kitty heaven on earth.

Missenger

Didn't that just prove the first vet didn't know what he was doing? That a second vet needed to finish the job for him?

So much for good advice when you really didn't have a good experience.

Still, the vet is the straight and narrow path to kitty heaven on earth.
Yeah, you're basically stuck being a half-assed 'vet' yourself or playing russian roulette with other 'vets', that's kitty health for you. Ultimately the only thing you can do is what you think is best since vets don't go out of their way to help strays unless paid to anyways. When my sister's cat was poisoned out of the blue while outside she just watched it die for several days without trying to get it any help since the vet costed too much, that was back when she was a kid.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Yeah, you're basically stuck being a half-assed 'vet' yourself or playing russian roulette with other 'vets', that's kitty health for you. Ultimately the only thing you can do is what you think is best since vets don't go out of their way to help strays unless paid to anyways. When my sister's cat was poisoned she just watched it die for several days without trying to get it any help.
Yeah!

Thanks for the links you posted.

I get to learn a lot from it with your good research and searching skills. I actually failed in getting answers and I'm grateful for your input.

That's what we gain from bonker threads like this. Gold amidst a pandemic of dregs.

Missenger

Yeah!

Thanks for the links you posted.

I get to learn a lot from it with your good research and searching skills. I actually failed in getting answers and I'm grateful for your input.

That's what we gain from bonker threads like this. Gold amidst a pandemic of dregs.
I find better search results with ddg now, google's a mess. The only thing you can really do is what you think is best, make sure the utensils you or whoever you pay to do it are sterile, the wound properly heals up, etc.
Chlorine Dioxide and iodine diluted are probably safe topically to an extent for treating wounds.

Last edited:

Happycat

I'm late to the party, but if it was my cat I would have taken it to the vet a long time ago.
The poor thing must be in so much pain, kittens have a high pain threshold so they may look ok, imagiine a part of your body droppjng off, it must be horrendous.

mariantos

Yeah, sounds cruel, but really no. Kitten walked in the house, somehow invited by my two other cats.

This was maybe a month ago. Had many kitties and cats, yet this one is the most energetic. As a Peatarian, how could I not adopt it?

Bimbap has this tail wound, and I had been applying urea and a garlic-honey poultice to it, to no avail. The other day, he gave off a cry and an inch length of the tail came off. I can't get info on the net on how to save an injured tail. It seems like the best thing is to chop off the necrotic part of the tail, as it will save the rest of the tail. Since it will hurt the kitty to chop it off, I need to anaesthesize the tail.

I'm just going to use a cleaver to lop the rotten part off. and then apply the garlic-honey poultice to the wound.

I have eugenol with me, which I use for my koi. It's the same thing used by dentists to numb our gums when something needs to be done. I plan to just apply to the tail but I don't know the dilution of eugenol to water that numbs just enough.

Does anyone have experience or know the dilution needed? Otherwise, I'll just have to test it myself with gradually increasing dilutions.

View attachment 26312

View attachment 26313

Eewws are understandable, but I have to do what I have to do.

Hi man, you can use for anesthesia nitrous oxide, it is also known as laughing gas. You should be able to buy it, you can find it in different quantities in larger or smaller tubes, you don't need too much.

After the cat is anesthetized, you can remove the part of the tail that is in a state of rot, gangrene, cut with some well-sterilized utensils, half an inch after the affected part of the tail. It will have to bleed, if it happens to bleed more abundantly, in order to stop her bleeding, use some sterile compresses on the area in question for a sufficient period of time.

After this procedure you can clean the wound to avoid possible infections and bacterial contamination. For this I suggest you use hydrogen peroxide which has a strong disinfectant effect and on bleeding also, betadine which I recommend not to dilute or even rivanol which is very potent but be careful with it because if you use it often, ie when change the dressing, prevent scarring. Avoid alcohol or strong alcoholic solutions, you can endanger the life of cells in the area.

Next, you know how to use bandages, adhesive tapes and patches. Do not forget to follow the evolution of the wound to follow the healing stage and to prevent possible infections. Changing dressings is mandatory when they get dirty or wet. When changing dressings, it is important not to tear the dressing off the wound, but to soak it in advance with saline and gently peel it around the wound. Use hydrogen peroxide to clean and disinfect the wound. You will only expose the wound to the air when it is healed enough.

You will be helped by healing ointments that help to regenerate the skin, but which are indicated to be applied after closing the wounds to avoid the appearance of bacterial infections under the oily layer of the ointment. Creams with natural plant extracts, marigold, mouse tail, chamomile, aloe vera or any other plant that you can easily find in Manila, with epithelializing, healing, emollient, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic action.

But if you have it at hand, you can also use other healing creams that use active principles such as panthenol or provitamin B5, which support the natural skin repair process.

Interesting and beautiful bat kitten.

Good luck!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hi man, you can use for anesthesia nitrous oxide, it is also known as laughing gas. You should be able to buy it, you can find it in different quantities in larger or smaller tubes, you don't need too much.

After the cat is anesthetized, you can remove the part of the tail that is in a state of rot, gangrene, cut with some well-sterilized utensils, half an inch after the affected part of the tail. It will have to bleed, if it happens to bleed more abundantly, in order to stop her bleeding, use some sterile compresses on the area in question for a sufficient period of time.

After this procedure you can clean the wound to avoid possible infections and bacterial contamination. For this I suggest you use hydrogen peroxide which has a strong disinfectant effect and on bleeding also, betadine which I recommend not to dilute or even rivanol which is very potent but be careful with it because if you use it often, ie when change the dressing, prevent scarring. Avoid alcohol or strong alcoholic solutions, you can endanger the life of cells in the area.

Next, you know how to use bandages, adhesive tapes and patches. Do not forget to follow the evolution of the wound to follow the healing stage and to prevent possible infections. Changing dressings is mandatory when they get dirty or wet. When changing dressings, it is important not to tear the dressing off the wound, but to soak it in advance with saline and gently peel it around the wound. Use hydrogen peroxide to clean and disinfect the wound. You will only expose the wound to the air when it is healed enough.

You will be helped by healing ointments that help to regenerate the skin, but which are indicated to be applied after closing the wounds to avoid the appearance of bacterial infections under the oily layer of the ointment. Creams with natural plant extracts, marigold, mouse tail, chamomile, aloe vera or any other plant that you can easily find in Manila, with epithelializing, healing, emollient, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic action.

But if you have it at hand, you can also use other healing creams that use active principles such as panthenol or provitamin B5, which support the natural skin repair process.

Interesting and beautiful bat kitten.

Good luck!
Thanks for the detailed explanation!

You seem to have some experience with caring for cats personally yourself. And being from a country in the Eastern bloc, you still maintain some practical skills that would be uncommon in the Western bloc. It is a perspective that adds to the richness of the forum.

Growing up in the rough and tumble of the city, I've played in the streets and have had dislocated my elbows, and am blessed to have a Chinese herbal doctor adjust my elbow in a jiffy. At another time, it was by a Filipino herbal healer. Not to say I haven't benefited from hospital care, as I've had two stitches, one on my forehead, and one on my chin. Those are scars I wear with pride. The freedom then that can't be found now.

mariantos

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

You seem to have some experience with caring for cats personally yourself. And being from a country in the Eastern bloc, you still maintain some practical skills that would be uncommon in the Western bloc. It is a perspective that adds to the richness of the forum.

Growing up in the rough and tumble of the city, I've played in the streets and have had dislocated my elbows, and am blessed to have a Chinese herbal doctor adjust my elbow in a jiffy. At another time, it was by a Filipino herbal healer. Not to say I haven't benefited from hospital care, as I've had two stitches, one on my forehead, and one on my chin. Those are scars I wear with pride. The freedom then that can't be found now.

I will be honest with you and implicitly with me at the same time, I am not melted for cats, but I don't hate them either, I had the joy to grow up surrounded by dogs and even cats, cats are thieves, that's why I didn't go after them, but it is admirable their style of hunting and how smart they are. I liked the dogs and I like them a lot, due to the fact that they are very loyal. Animals in essence are quite amazing, they give you reasons to love life.

The ones I wrote to you do not result from my experience with cats, but from the experiences I witnessed due to the interventions on other dogs, but also from some monkeys and even lions, who had the misfortune to be seriously injured. My father worked for a long time at a zoo in my city and later after closing that zoo at a special shelter for dogs.

Therefore, I heard about but I also witnessed many injuries due to different factors, as well as the methodology of treating these injuries of different intensities depending on the circumstances. In very serious cases, a veterinarian was called, but in situations similar to yours, it was simply acted upon, even in situations of greater severity that require emergency intervention, the obvious aim was to act as soon as possible.

I am aware of the practices in southern Europe, where if a pet coughs once or twice more irregularly, it is taken urgently to the doctor, in the west I do not know how it is, so I do not comment, but something tells me that you do not have be written at random what you wrote and that you are therefore well informed about the situation. Where I grew up, such interventions were and still are practiced predominantly.

Not so long ago there were not so many veterinarians and the man had to act. We have become too comfortable over time, I hope we do not forget to chew, once the device that chews your food will appear.

Yes, there are exceptional "doctors" who have bomb knowledge. I have met many ordinary people, they do not have the position or doctorate, but their theory is due to exceptional practice and not the other way around. It may sound strange, but it is the pure truth. There are also many doctors and various medical or other staff who are incompetent, unfit to perform their duties that they have obtained fraudulently or through other unorthodox methods, but I do not think this is new to anyone. My wish is that the knowledge of ordinary people is not lost and passed on, but it does not depend on me how things will go unfortunately. However, I choose to remain optimistic and hope that this will happen!

I also have some marks on my body, hands, under my chin that are due to the activities or games from childhood that I gladly wear, I consider them precious memories.

Jing

I imagine he knows that he's going to have to seal the wound, sew stitches, things like that, beyond that it's just topical antibiotics. The key thing here is if he trust the vets in the Philippines or not more than himself at sewing up a cat's tail. He could just demand that they don't cut off his whole tail and watch them like a hawk since he'd be paying for the surgery.
Im not even talking about that what if the cat flips out just after he cuts it?

kyle

I don't think the general subject of this forum is how to best ape a guy in a white coat with a plaque on the wall. If you just want to know how to cut off cat tails in a "SHTF" scenario, that isn't for the cat's sake but satisfying your own need to experiment - which isn't for me to judge.

FWIW I'm a big supporter of taking care of animals yourself. Did you consider that your knee jerk reaction to cut off its tail proceeded out of the medical industry that you are so wary of? You insist on just *knowing* the tail will continue to decay if it is not cut off. Where did that assumption come from?

boris

Antibiotics would be my first course of action. Some little bits of penicillin a few times a day hidden well in a fatty treat to mask the bitter taste.

ALS

How about starting a GoFundMe for vet expenses? It sounds like you don't want to pay for that.

Please take the kitten to the vet.

For reference - A spay and neuter at PAWS is 1000 P.P. (1000 Philippine pesos = about $20 USD) - VET SERVICES: Does PAWS offer vet services?

The surgery needed should be approximate at PAWS, somewhat more at a vet, maybe 2x?

Birdie

I did a DDG search too.

If you do decide to go to a Vet, be sure to interview first. Will the guy cut the tail just where it is necessary? Sometimes one will amputate the entire tail for a more sure good outcome. But you want to try to keep his tail, so you would need to make that clear.

It doesn't look like your cat's injury is as serious as this article, but it might be helpful anyway:

Degloving​

Although not as common as other injuries, your cat may experience a degloving injury if he or she is hit or dragged by a car. Degloving is when “an extensive amount of skin is torn away from the underlying tissue on the tail,” Skadron explains. These injuries can be very serious, and require immediate treatment by a veterinarian. According to an article on treating degloving injuries from the peer-reviewed journal Clinician’s Brief, skin, tissue, muscle, and even bone can be torn away by friction, and debris and bacteria can be embedded in the wound, causing infection.

Due to these factors, degloving injuries in cats usually require surgery. “The treatment for a degloving injury is usually amputation of the tail to the point where there is normal tissue,” Skadron says.

I hope you will take photos as you go with your kitty's tail recovery. I would like to see them.

alephx

This is retarded, what a bunch of ego.

Sure you can prove to (yourself?) you have the guts to do this; or you know, you can just take the cat to a vet and learn from him how it's done. You clearly have little clue otherwise you wouldn't be asking here. But not our job to analyze you and not my cat. Poor thing, still...

OP
yerrag

yerrag

A lot more cat SJWs here than I really thought just because you have unhealthy imaginations and think the cat is in great pain.

Just like I said, a true tribal response borne out of a zeitgeist shaped by being numb excessively and artificially.

Which of you here really like cats enough to not feed them food made from crude protein and mixtures of food grade vitamins and minerals, and worse, carbs made from GMO corn and then a lot of PUFA.

And yet effing judgmental pricks!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I don't think the general subject of this forum is how to best ape a guy in a white coat with a plaque on the wall. If you just want to know how to cut off cat tails in a "SHTF" scenario, that isn't for the cat's sake but satisfying your own need to experiment - which isn't for me to judge.
So to experiment is a great evil? And to not experiment is always better? And why call this an experiment even?

Is baking a cake with a tried and true formula an experiment any more than cutting a cat's tail with correct techniques and asking forum for help?

And if I got the correct way this way, how do you know I am not adept enough at doing this? Does it seem complicated for you?

No thanks to you and loser posters who know nothing about DiY much less tying a simple square knot (do you even know what it is) I can undertake simple tasks.

More likely you have a low tolerance for anything involving seeing blood and would quite easily faint.

Projecting yourself on others is quite a coomon thing here.

If II told you I'm going to have a parachute dive later, you'd probably say go ahead as you'd surely die - just because you think you're a klutz and therefore I am.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

How about starting a GoFundMe for vet expenses? It sounds like you don't want to pay for that.

Please take the kitten to the vet.

For reference - A spay and neuter at PAWS is 1000 P.P. (1000 Philippine pesos = about $20 USD) - VET SERVICES: Does PAWS offer vet services?

The surgery needed should be approximate at PAWS, somewhat more at a vet, maybe 2x?
I rather not have to go to a vet, even if it were free. Are you paying for the experimental vaccines? No, but will you take them? So, there goes your logic.

But thanks for the research. PAWS is good. I have most of my cats spayed or neutered there.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I did a DDG search too.

If you do decide to go to a Vet, be sure to interview first. Will the guy cut the tail just where it is necessary? Sometimes one will amputate the entire tail for a more sure good outcome. But you want to try to keep his tail, so you would need to make that clear.

It doesn't look like your cat's injury is as serious as this article, but it might be helpful anyway:

Degloving​

Although not as common as other injuries, your cat may experience a degloving injury if he or she is hit or dragged by a car. Degloving is when “an extensive amount of skin is torn away from the underlying tissue on the tail,” Skadron explains. These injuries can be very serious, and require immediate treatment by a veterinarian. According to an article on treating degloving injuries from the peer-reviewed journal Clinician’s Brief, skin, tissue, muscle, and even bone can be torn away by friction, and debris and bacteria can be embedded in the wound, causing infection.

Due to these factors, degloving injuries in cats usually require surgery. “The treatment for a degloving injury is usually amputation of the tail to the point where there is normal tissue,” Skadron says.

I hope you will take photos as you go with your kitty's tail recovery. I would like to see them.
Thank you for taking time to research. I appreciate thoughtful responses and there have been many.

They really contrast starkly to knee-jerk responses that reflect a deep mental imbalance in those posters more than anything else. I personally feel they are noise and nuisance and clutter. They are now in my ignore list. I only wish there is a forever box so I'll remember to keep these people in there. Chances are, these are the same sick people who will never self-heal because they are not self-aware and they live in a world detached from reality simply because they are controlled by fear.

That's the first time I hear this term. It is a thing then, and it's the first time I've encountered it. When I got this cat, it seemed like he had a crust of mud on his tail. I was going to give him a bath, but decided against it because a closer inspection revealed a wound, and I didn't want to infect it.

A section of the tail had fallen off, as I had said earlier, and I've begun dripping a concoction that seemed to be healing the wound. I had not said it, but in my mind cutting the tail or a section of it is my last resort. I would say what the mixture is normally, but the judgmental losers here would again be clogging up the thread. But the world is like that, and that's why there are winners, and there are losers.

I'll take pictures as this develops and share with rational minds who can benefit from what I learn.

Coz if there is one person here worthy of benefiting from what I learned, no matter how many losers are on this thread, I will still share.

Last edited:

KTownSatfats

Jeez?

You're so helpless.

Just a tail and your Jeezy already?

If you're gonna faint, I understand.
It's beyond me why people are trying to help you. You're very nasty. You've already tried reasonable home cures. Would it kill you to take it to the vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom