How To Properly Chop Off A Kitten's Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

yerrag

Yeah, sounds cruel, but really no. Kitten walked in the house, somehow invited by my two other cats.

This was maybe a month ago. Had many kitties and cats, yet this one is the most energetic. As a Peatarian, how could I not adopt it?

Bimbap has this tail wound, and I had been applying urea and a garlic-honey poultice to it, to no avail. The other day, he gave off a cry and an inch length of the tail came off. I can't get info on the net on how to save an injured tail. It seems like the best thing is to chop off the necrotic part of the tail, as it will save the rest of the tail. Since it will hurt the kitty to chop it off, I need to anaesthesize the tail.

I'm just going to use a cleaver to lop the rotten part off. and then apply the garlic-honey poultice to the wound.

I have eugenol with me, which I use for my koi. It's the same thing used by dentists to numb our gums when something needs to be done. I plan to just apply to the tail but I don't know the dilution of eugenol to water that numbs just enough.

Does anyone have experience or know the dilution needed? Otherwise, I'll just have to test it myself with gradually increasing dilutions.

1628308846536.png

1628308890105.png

Eewws are understandable, but I have to do what I have to do.

kyle

It looks like it could heal on its own. If it were my cat I'd feed it raw milk, raw fish and raw chicken and wait to see what would happen.

Nebula

Topical progest-e has been very effective healing deep cuts for me. I wonder if it might be worth a try to apply it to the kitten’s tail and maybe place some kind of bandage over it to keep it from rubbing off, but maybe it’s too late for that if it’s been a month.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

It looks like it could heal on its own. If it were my cat I'd feed it raw milk, raw fish and raw chicken and wait to see what would happen.
An inch of the tail came off, as you may missed my recounting of it. So, on its own the tail will just slowly go as the tail necrotizes.

Topical progest-e has been very effective healing deep cuts for me. I wonder if it might be worth a try to apply it to the kitten’s tail and maybe place some kind of bandage over it to keep it from rubbing off, but maybe it’s too late for that if it’s been a month.
I can try many things but the tail has a very limited supply of blood being that's how it is structured. But right now I'm trying copper acetate solution in 50% DMSO, hoping for good penetration with antibacterial effects of copper and acetate.

Bandage don't work unless I put the cat in a straitjacket.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thanks. So far, answers have been against me lopping and guesses about treating it.

I debated asking as I get such answers mainly.

Guys who don't answer because they can't help, I also thank.

L

Lord Cola

Vets tend to be a bit more focused on healing their patients than doctors. Visible injuries like this, they should be able to deal with.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Next time, guys, go to a doctor so you don't miss out on your anti-rabies shot.

And if you leave the forum, I won't miss you.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Pretty rich of trolls in a self-help forum telling people in the forum to get help from licensed experts.

You can be your own doctor and your pets have to get professional help? How enlightening that is.

youngsinatra

Well I wouldn’t operate on myself when I would have a significant wound or injury and therefore I wouldn‘t do a procedure on my animals. The vets are trained for such cases whereas I am not.

The standard medical system is pretty good at treating acute traumatic injury, but fail miserably at treating chronic diseases or more complex pathologies. That‘s my opinion at least.

If I‘d decide to do it myself I would use some topical lidocaine and then just clip it off. I think there is not much blood flow to this part of the tissue so excessive bleeding is unlikely. Use some desinfectant afterwards and use some normal bandage material.

Last edited:
OP
yerrag

yerrag

Well I wouldn’t operate on myself when I would have a significant wound or injury and therefore I wouldn‘t do a procedure on my animals. The vets are trained for such cases whereas I am not.

The standard medical system is pretty good at treating acute traumatic injury, but fail miserably at treating chronic diseases or more complex pathologies. That‘s my opinion at least.

If I‘d decide to do it myself I would use some topical lidocaine and then just clip it off. I think there is not much blood flow to this part of the tissue so excessive bleeding is unlikely. Use some desinfectant afterwards and use some normal bandage material.
Lidocaine is a good option. And your reasoning is sound to me.

You won't see me posting how I can desex my cats myself. It is way more involved and I wouldn't want to subject my cats to harm due to my lack of training in a more complicated procedure. I've had my cats desexed many times in the past by vets.

Vets tend to be a bit more focused on healing their patients than doctors. Visible injuries like this, they should be able to deal with.
That is an observation I agree with. They don't give animals medicine for example, that is sugar-free. If the medicine is sour, so be it. But people have to be cuddled, everything has to taste sweet, but instead of sugar, which is supposedly bad, they load the medicine with sugar substitutes. Sonofagun, it's perverse. But that's our medical establishment.

GorillaHead

ur trying to do surgery on an animal with A condition you aren’t really sure the cause or what the diagnosis is.

take it to a vet man. Jeez
Lidocaine is a good option. And your reasoning is sound to me.

You won't see me posting how I can desex my cats myself. It is way more involved and I wouldn't want to subject my cats to harm due to my lack of training in a more complicated procedure. I've had my cats desexed many times in the past by vets.

That is an observation I agree with. They don't give animals medicine for example, that is sugar-free. If the medicine is sour, so be it. But people have to be cuddled, everything has to taste sweet, but instead of sugar, which is supposedly bad, they load the medicine with sugar substitutes. Sonofagun, it's perverse. But that's our medical establishment

OP
yerrag

yerrag

ur trying to do surgery on an animal with A condition you aren’t really sure the cause or what the diagnosis is.

take it to a vet man. Jeez
Jeez?

You're so helpless.

Just a tail and your Jeezy already?

If you're gonna faint, I understand.

skittles

Sorry Yerrag, I agree with everyone else. A vet will likely be able to fix this without a hitch. But I'm pretty sure experimental home surgery has a much greater chance of making things worse.

I know lots of people will needlessly go to the vet over every little sniffle and scrape, but this looks like it'll require a little more expertise. I don't think you're gonna get any advice on this forum on how to do it yourself.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Sorry Yerrag, I agree with everyone else. A vet will likely be able to fix this without a hitch. But I'm pretty sure experimental home surgery has a much greater chance of making things worse.

I know lots of people will needlessly go to the vet over every little sniffle and scrape, but this looks like it'll require a little more expertise. I don't think you're gonna get any advice on this forum on how to do it yourself.
I guess I should change the title of this thread, but if I did I wouldn't be starting this thread.

Thanks for answering what I'm not asking.

Keep answering.

This thread doesn't merit anymore my reading it.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I'll just put the posters in my ignore list who post irrelevant answers.

I don't bother with people who are just disrespectful.

Amazoniac

yerrag, you don't look like you have the dexterity needed to perform such procedure, it's understandable for humans to be concerned.

- Cosmetic Tail Docking -An Option for Severely Injured Tail in Dog: A Case Report

You could do it yourself [biting and bandaging with algae (iodine)?], tail amputations by unskilled "hands" are not rare, these are controlled traumas preferable to accidents, but a veteran is indicated for having practiced and perfected butchering when needed likely better than you.

Quelsatron

Pretty rich of trolls in a self-help forum telling people in the forum to get help from licensed experts.

You can be your own doctor and your pets have to get professional help? How enlightening that is.
Why is experimenting on your cat with no clue what you're doing better than taking it to an experienced professional? You already failed and caused the wound to aggravate enough that the tail fell off, do you think you will do a better job when asking internet strangers wtf to do? But sure, throw around the ignore list and troll accusations as soon as anyone questions your worldview. I hope you don't kill your cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom