charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am wondering if baking them in the oven might be better because you could possibly be losing some of the calcium in the boiling water.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well its not that hard! Definitely takes a little time. However, I do like the idea of the oyster shells and I definitely need to get my calcium up because I had to cut back on milk and cheese due to inflammation.

Thanks for the recommendation. I am going to order some this weekend! :thumbup:

ericrlepine

stevensmith said:
Don't even bother with the eggshells. The process to make them is a b****. Just get oyster shell calcium. Here http://purebulk.com/calcium-carbonate-oyster-shell

Me like! Thanks for the head's up Steven... My wife can't have any dairy right now (she does OK on dairy herself but, it's our breastfeeding daughter who upchucks everything if my wife does consume any dairy; it was the same with our son. He's now four and has no issues with dairy himself... I've always found that strange and researched forever to understand the mechanism of being dairy intolerant vs being intolerant to the milk of mom who drinks millk :-S)

Any idea on the manufacturing process (cleaning of shell, purification, etc.) of the oyster shell powder?

Thanks...

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Brittany, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Yeh, I guess that would be the lazy way of doing it! :lol:

I am really digging the idea of coral calcium or oyster shell calcium. Just trying to figure out which is the better choice. I know the oyster calcium will be a bunch easier on my wallet! :thumbup:

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Brittany, did you notice any difference after you started supplementing calcium?

Brittany

@ Eric - I started using the pet calcium a few weeks ago... I really like it! I thought I was going off the deep end a little with it but when I told Danny, he had already beat me to it! :lol:

@Charlie - Thanks! Actually... I was drinking a lot of milk but cut back a little in favor of more fabulous seasonal fruit and decided I better at least get the supplemental calcium in to keep stress hormones at bay. I haven't noticed anything negative...

DMF

Tell me, someone: Just what are eggshells made of (in addition to calcium, of course)?

nwo2012

DMF said:
Tell me, someone: Just what are eggshells made of (in addition to calcium, of course)?

The egg shell consists of about 94 to 97% calcium carbonate. The other three percent is organic matter and egg shell pigment. There are also as many as 8,000 microscopic pores in the shell itself. The outer coating of the shell itself consists of a mucous coating called the cuticle or bloom which is deposited on the shell just prior to lay.This protein like covering helps protect the interior contents of the egg from bacteria penetration through the shell. Egg shell quality is determined by the color, shape, and structure of the shell.

Birdie

I thought I would try Brittany's idea on the pet calcium. Unfortunately, unless you are picking it up at the store, the shipping is $18. I'll look for it at my local feed store. Good idea!

nwo2012

Birdie said:
I thought I would try Brittany's idea on the pet calcium. Unfortunately, unless you are picking it up at the store, the shipping is $18. I'll look for it at my local feed store. Good idea!

Making your own isnt hard at all. As a family we eat around 12 eggs per day so plenty of shells. If you dont have enough ask friends/family to give you their shells. Way cheaper than buying. ;)

Birdie

I just read this regarding egg shell calcium:

Comment Link: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/10/bo ... ment-90272
Author: Rob White
Comment:
Hi Paul,

i know you've had a sly dig at the hype over egg shell consumption in the past, but have you ever thought that they might be a good lacto-ovo vegetarian alternative to bone broth? I have been reading that egg shells, although predominantly calcium, actually contain quite a few other minerals as well. Bee Wilder did quite a good article here about egg shells and different ways to get the minerals out of them http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/ar ... egg-shells . As well as the minerals, egg shell appears to have some other interesting compounds http://examine.com/supplements/Egg+%28Chicken%29/, notably Glycosaminoglycans which are good for the joints. For me personally, i don't eat a lot of meat these days, and because i only cook for myself and dont have a lot of time to do food prep, getting bones from cuts of meat and making bone broths is abit of a hassle, whereas i get through a lot of eggs and using egg shells like these seems easy and quite a good idea to stop wastefulness.

Birdie

And here is Paul Jaminet's response:

Comment Link: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/10/bo ... ment-90295
Author: Paul Jaminet
Comment:
Hi Rob,

Yes, I think it's fine as an alternative to bone broth. My dig was more at the quantity featured in Danny Roddy's picture. Our normal diet is maybe 200 mg calcium shy of optimal, so you don't need a huge amount of egg shells to optimize calcium.

Birdie

nwo2012 said:
Birdie said:

Making your own isnt hard at all. As a family we eat around 12 eggs per day so plenty of shells. If you dont have enough ask friends/family to give you their shells. Way cheaper than buying. ;)

Yes, nwo, you're right, and we eat 3 eggs a day here, but I'm not ready to adding another step to my routine just now.

Oh, I was just at our feed store and forgot to see about the calcium. But I did get some penicillin. !!

nwo2012

Birdie said:
nwo2012 said:
Birdie said:

Yes, nwo, you're right, and we eat 3 eggs a day here, but I'm not ready to adding another step to my routine just now.

Oh, I was just at our feed store and forgot to see about the calcium. But I did get some penicillin. !!

Just make sure you know what you are doing with the penicillin. Remember abusing it could potentially cause a Clostridium difficile infection.

Philomath