How to prevent resistant starch formation in refrigerated starches?

RealNeat

The internet is rife with "how to make resistant starch" and "the health benefits of resistant starch" but I have yet to see anything on preventing it. Worse yet, some research shows more resistant starch formation upon reheating cooled rice as opposed to cooled rice alone (no thanks)

I'm pretty sure resistant starch has given me very uncomfortable serotonin symptoms on multiple occasions but I want the convenience of leftovers. Any chemists or food geeks have answers? Thanks

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Bump. Nudge. I really want this leftover rice guys help me out lol

Servier

Really interested as well, eventough I don't really notice any difference between freshly cooked and leftover

Ben.

There are a few "mentions" that might seem interesting altough i have no data or studies on these claims:

"Baked goods are ok as the resistant starch is greatly reduced in the baking. When the structure of the food is changed (puffed rice, bread, etc.), the resistant starch is broken. I think this also holds true for my homemade rice milk since the blending destroys the starch. I’m not sure about pasta. You’ll have to see how your body responds to it."

"RS Type 3: Also called retrograde RS since this type of RS forms after Type 1 or Type 2 RS is cooked and then cooled. These cooked and cooled foods can be reheated at low temperatures, less than 130 degrees and maintain the benefits of RS (6). Heating at higher temperatures will again convert the starch into a form that is digestible to us rather than “feeding” our gut bacteria. Examples include cooked and cooled parboiled rice, cooked and cooled potatoes, and cooked and cooled properly prepared (soaked or sprouted) legumes."

"Interestingly, the way you prepare starch-containing foods affects their starch content, as cooking or heating destroys most resistant starches."

I sadly can't find much "science" on reversing resistant starches because most entries are about how healthy it is and how oil, reheating, freezing etc. makes even "more" resistant starch,

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Do you notice a big difference between fresh-cooked potatoes and rice, vs leftovers?
I had tuna salad with pasta and low pufa mayo for half my meals one day and all my meals the next day. Im pretty sure it caused a rather uncomfortable anxiety attack with cold sweat, racing heart, light headedness and Im pretty sure it was from the serotonin produced by the gut irritation. The only other time this has ever happened to me was because of the ingestion of guar gum free coconut milk instead of real milk, a insoluble fiber.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

There are a few "mentions" that might seem interesting altough i have no data or studies on these claims:

"Baked goods are ok as the resistant starch is greatly reduced in the baking. When the structure of the food is changed (puffed rice, bread, etc.), the resistant starch is broken. I think this also holds true for my homemade rice milk since the blending destroys the starch. I’m not sure about pasta. You’ll have to see how your body responds to it."

"RS Type 3: Also called retrograde RS since this type of RS forms after Type 1 or Type 2 RS is cooked and then cooled. These cooked and cooled foods can be reheated at low temperatures, less than 130 degrees and maintain the benefits of RS (6). Heating at higher temperatures will again convert the starch into a form that is digestible to us rather than “feeding” our gut bacteria. Examples include cooked and cooled parboiled rice, cooked and cooled potatoes, and cooked and cooled properly prepared (soaked or sprouted) legumes."

"Interestingly, the way you prepare starch-containing foods affects their starch content, as cooking or heating destroys most resistant starches."

I sadly can't find much "science" on reversing resistant starches because most entries are about how healthy it is and how oil, reheating, freezing etc. makes even "more" resistant starch,
Interesting where did you find this? I'm going to try and make fried rice out of it then and see how I fare.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

If you try PURE potatoe starch…. How does that make you feel?
Do you mean starch that has been isolated from potatoes with nothing else remaining? Im not sure Ive ever had it. I dont do too well with starch in general but resistant starch is a special kind of bad.

The only chilled starch i can eat is my moms peeled and boiled potatoes. Its a middle eastern dish that rolls them into balls using lemon, olive oil and plenty of salt. Its a summer dish thats served with even more lemon juice when plating. Maybe the acid breaks down the RS.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Interesting where did you find this? I'm going to try and make fried rice out of it then and see how I fare.
Update:

@Ben.
I made stir fried rice in my cast iron today with olive oil, chilled rice and chilled vegetables. No indigestion or serotonin symptoms yet! Its been more than 4 hours.

I made sure to stir fry the rice for a good while without getting it mushy, I wanted to make sure it was reaching high temps to break down RS.

It was delicious.

RS also wastes valuable calories. I don't have enough money to just throw away good calories to feed gut bacteria, there are safer less direct ways to do that. It likely lowers BS too and increases endotoxin, terrible combo.

Ben.

Sadly not in a well done study but on simple articles. As you mentioned they only ever mention benefits of Resistant Starch so i was searching for keywords trying to pin down information on how Resistant starch can be modified (idealy the kind that gets created after boiling and cooling down) and these are passages that i found. If they had studies cited with them i would've investigated thoose and shared here but sadly there werent any. It is not so easy (atleast for me) to find studies on food matrix/biochemical changes on trying to revert Resistant Starch type 3 back into regular Starch or Sugar or w/e.

Update:

@Ben.
I made stir fried rice in my cast iron today with olive oil, chilled rice and chilled vegetables. No indigestion or serotonin symptoms yet! Its been more than 4 hours.

I made sure to stir fry the rice for a good while without getting it mushy, I wanted to make sure it was reaching high temps to break down RS.

It was delicious.

RS also wastes valuable calories. I don't have enough money to just throw away good calories to feed gut bacteria, there are safer less direct ways to do that. It likely lowers BS too and increases endotoxin, terrible combo.

Awsome! I would assume the high heat is even more important reaching all rice corns sufficiently enough. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
And i totally understand and want to use the food too instead of trowhing it away or making health worse.

Something that might be interesting is Pyro-Dextrinization:

"How does it happen?
You may have noticed if you cook baked food in the oven, such as a cake, or bread, the outside of the food goes a darker colour. During the heating process, the starches within the food are broken down (by a chemical reaction) into sugars called dextrin. Dextrins are brown in colour and have a distinct taste and consistency. Producing dextrin therefore results in a change in colour of food to golden brown. This is the process called dextrinization.

Over heating

What happens if the food is cooked for too long? If toast is overcooked it goes black and burnt. Overcooking causes the starch to turn to carbon.
some of the dextrins produced are pyrodextrins. Pyrodextrins can give the bread crusts and toast a “toasted” flavour."

Now i i remember noting a information on that however that might be important:

"The HIGHEST CHOICE of pyro-dextrinization (semi-demi-quasi-correctly called “protein coagulation”) is too easy to patent.
Step Number 1 — Cook ANY food ANY way you like.
Step Number 2 — Then expose that food to dry heat between 180°-200° Fahrenheit for an hour or so.

Grains are exceptions to the rule.
Pyro-dextrinizing grains for more than a half-hour or so transforms them into the indigestible equivalents of little particles of rock."

There was also a thread where the following was mentioned :

Storing potatoes in the fridge/cold can cause them to convert some of their starch into sugar
Atom Bergstrom in his book about potatoes calls the fridge potatoes cryodextrinization opposite of pyrodextrinization. I've been keeping them in the fridge, works great. His book on potatoes is great.

Last edited:

Andy316

@RealNeat How did the fried rice experiment go, did you see sustained relief from serotonin/indigestion since you last posted?

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

@RealNeat How did the fried rice experiment go, did you see sustained relief from serotonin/indigestion since you last posted?
There was a slight irritation but nothing like I usually experience with it. I have also done things like reheat in a pot with a little water added with a lid. The steam buildup gets really hot and damages the RS structure and that works too. I think reheating to hot enough temps is the way to go.

Andy316

There was a slight irritation but nothing like I usually experience with it. I have also done things like reheat in a pot with a little water added with a lid. The steam buildup gets really hot and damages the RS structure and that works too. I think reheating to hot enough temps is the way to go.
Thanks @RealNeat