How To Prevent Getting Diabetic?

Motif

i need a lot of sugar to keep my weight, but i‘m scared of getting diabetes.

I‘m not sure if ray peat is right about sugar is not causing it. What do you guys think ?

I know for a fact that sugar does not cause diabetes.

If anything it inhibits it.

PUFA causes diabetes.

You have to minimize free fatty acids (FFAs). Avoid fasting. Use plenty of sugar. And use low fat, occasionally zero fat (while taking niacinamide and/or aspirin) and vitamin E. Avoid PUFA at all costs, trying to minimize it to maybe 2g or 3g per day.

That is what fixes diabetes. Lots of sugar, low fat, zero PUFA.

marsaday

Check out Ivor cummins on Utube. He has a whole new take on what is causing diabetes and it isn't fats, but sugar and Carbs.

I have his book and it is really interesting reading. Just started it.

Basically refined carbs like white bread or pasta or rice is a bit like eating pure sugar. Long term high insulin levels are the cause of heart disease and diabetes.

We need to move to a low carb diet, higher protein and much higher healthy full fats. Fruit and fructose are also not so good for us.

It's tough to get the head around it all, but the demonisation of fats since the 70's has meant we all eat a much higher carb diet and so the metabolic illnesses have exploded.

Funny link. I've seen quite some hate for Dr. Peat over the time. But comparing one of his articles to Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf? That's a bit harsh, isn't it? :D

Edit: Ontopic. @Motif:
Why don't you buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-7377-C...blood+glucose&qid=1560271196&s=gateway&sr=8-9

I was curious about my blood sugar levels, too. I bought that exact same device on german amazon. It's no lie, when the package says "easy to use". I'm just testing my fasting blood glucose here and there. It's always ok and it takes the concerns regarding diabetes.

Last edited:

Tarmander

Best thing to not get diabetes is to avoid the tunnel vision around macros somehow having this much significance. There are more important factors then if you have low fat, medium fat, high carb, moderate carb, etc etc.

I mean can you imagine if slight changes in that ratio made you go from healthy to diabetic? The human race wouldn’t have survived.

OP
M

Motif

Funny link. I've seen quite some hate for Dr. Peat over the time. But comparing one of his articles to Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf? That's a bit harsh, isn't it? :D

Edit: Ontopic. @Motif:
Why don't you buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Bayer-7377-C...blood+glucose&qid=1560271196&s=gateway&sr=8-9

I was curious about my blood sugar levels, too. I bought that exact same device on german amazon. It's no lie, when the package says "easy to use". I'm just testing my fasting blood glucose here and there. It's always ok and it takes the concerns regarding diabetes.

Ok, gute Idee!

Could you explain for me how to use it?

lampofred

There is a big difference between diabetes and blood sugar levels. Eating sugar will definitely raise blood sugar, especially if you are accustomed to burning fat. But it will not worsen your ability to oxidize sugar, PUFA is what will do that.

lampofred

Check out Ivor cummins on Utube. He has a whole new take on what is causing diabetes and it isn't fats, but sugar and Carbs.

Basically refined carbs like white bread or pasta or rice is a bit like eating pure sugar. Long term high insulin levels are the cause of heart disease and diabetes.

We need to move to a low carb diet, higher protein and much higher healthy full fats. Fruit and fructose are also not so good for us.

It's tough to get the head around it all, but the demonisation of fats since the 70's has meant we all eat a much higher carb diet and so the metabolic illnesses have exploded.

Have you read the articles at raypeat.com? You are posting the mainstream narrative, which is the exact opposite of Dr. Peat's viewpoint.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Long term high insulin levels are the cause of heart disease and diabetes.
Not caused by sugar, but by insulin resistance, which is caused by elevated cortisol, inflammation, hypothyroid, low androgens, endotoxins, PUFAs, estrogen, etc.
Fruit and fructose are also not so good for us.
All the studies I read about fruits show positive effects and improvements in health.
Studies that show negative effects of fructose are either overfeeding studies in sedentary people that eat a lot of other junk as well or poorly controlled rat studies that uses fructose in isolation.

marsaday

Have you read the articles at raypeat.com? You are posting the mainstream narrative, which is the exact opposite of Dr. Peat's viewpoint.

So I can’t post this pretty original Ivor Cummins info?

What he is saying is pretty interesting and certainly is not mainstream.

He is saying carbs are the bad stuff to eat and fats are good. Sugar is a bady as well but that shouldn’t mean I can’t post this info

RobertJM

What has eating a low carb diet done for you? I assume you are doing it. Otherwise why mention it? Someome telling me not to eat rice or pasta because I will get diabetes. Please don’t think I’m being rude but that’s really primitive stuff. It’s so basic I thought you were trolling initially.

people consuming high amounts of sugar are less likely to get diabetes. Sugar causing diabetes is nonsense.

This is a Ray Peat forum, and I can't believe that people here believe this.

A Prospective Study of Sugar Intake and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Women
ESULTS—Compared with the lowest quintile of sugar intake, the RRs and 95% CIs for the highest quintiles were 0.84 (0.67–1.04) for sucrose, 0.96 (0.78–1.19) for fructose, 1.04 (0.85–1.28) for glucose, and 0.99 (0.80–1.22) for lactose, after adjustment for known risk factors for type 2 diabetes. Similar findings of no association were obtained in subgroup analyses stratified by BMI.

Another study
Carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and incident type 2 diabetes in older women
shows "Intakes of total carbohydrates, refined grains, fruit and vegetables, and soluble fiber and the glycemic index were unrelated to diabetes risk."

And this one where they gave fats Coke for three months
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

Interestingly, all groups consuming cola beverages had lower blood glucose levels during an oral glucose tolerance test, suggesting improved insulin sensitivity. Despite hyperfiltration (5–6-fold increase in diuresis), cola beverages had no effect on assessed parameters of renal function, histology, gene expression or oxidative stress. Moreover, cola intake seems to increase creatinine clearance and to decrease plasma levels of urea. In our study increased insulin sensitivity and altered renal functional parameters were observed in rats receiving cola beverages for three months.

marsaday

What has eating a low carb diet done for you? I assume you are doing it. Otherwise why mention it? Someome telling me not to eat rice or pasta because I will get diabetes. Please don’t think I’m being rude but that’s really primitive stuff. It’s so basic I thought you were trolling initially.

I have added this info because it is useful stuff and the guy has gone to great lengths to research his info. Look at his videos to see what he is saying fully. His book is a big one and i have just started. Whether i can make the switch over is another matter. I certainly intend on lowering carbs to some extent and have already reduced sugar a little.

Longer term i am not sure what will happen. I have recently had a heart scan this year and i have a small narrowing in my right artery. So i have calcification and it is a bit worrying. I am someone who maintains a set weight from age 20 and am now 47. I have never dieted in my life and eaten what i want when i want it. My sugar intake has probably been high as cakes and sweets are my only vice. I exercise a lot, so it was a surprise to get this result. I have been recommended i take a statin for the rest of my days but i have refused.

So i have something going on and hence i have looked into what Ivor has been saying on Utube.

Seriously people try not to repress alternative info it is not healthy. Ray Peat does not have all the answers and is not a god.

Added sugars and risk factors for obesity, diabetes and heart disease
In this article, we will review recent randomized controlled trials and prospective cohort studies. We conclude that the normal added sugars in the human diet (for example, sucrose, high-fructose corn syrup and isoglucose) when consumed within the normal range of normal human consumption or substituted isoenergetically for other carbohydrates, do not appear to cause a unique risk of obesity, diabetes or cardiovascular disease.

lampofred

I have added this info because it is useful stuff and the guy has gone to great lengths to research his info. Look at his videos to see what he is saying fully. His book is a big one and i have just started. Whether i can make the switch over is another matter. I certainly intend on lowering carbs to some extent and have already reduced sugar a little.

Longer term i am not sure what will happen. I have recently had a heart scan this year and i have a small narrowing in my right artery. So i have calcification and it is a bit worrying. I am someone who maintains a set weight from age 20 and am now 47. I have never dieted in my life and eaten what i want when i want it. My sugar intake has probably been high as cakes and sweets are my only vice. I exercise a lot, so it was a surprise to get this result. I have been recommended i take a statin for the rest of my days but i have refused.

So i have something going on and hence i have looked into what Ivor has been saying on Utube.

Seriously people try not to repress alternative info it is not healthy. Ray Peat does not have all the answers and is not a god.

Issues specifically on the right side of heart are associated with high serotonin.

Cirion

I have never dieted in my life and eaten what i want when i want it. My sugar intake has probably been high as cakes and sweets are my only vice. I exercise a lot, so it was a surprise to get this result. I have been recommended i take a statin for the rest of my days but i have refused.

Cakes and sweets =/= sugar, and is probably why most people think sugar is unhealthy.

Taking cakes as example: are usually processed foods high in fats and PUFA's and likely many other toxic additives that aren't even "Food" like high fructose corn syrup, food coloring, carrageenan gum, and more.

Usually, the foods that are problematic that people think of as "sweets" are other things too like donuts, pastries, cookies, fast food milkshakes, and most ice creams you buy in restaurants. None of these are Peat approved sugars. All of them are high PUFA/fats and other processed ingredients.

excess processed "Desserts" - cakes, milkshakes, pastries, donuts, cookies etc absolutely will cause diabetes I don't think anyone here, or Peat, would deny this, but it's because of the fats/pufa's and processed ingredients, not the carbs/sugar.

You made the right choice refusing statins. Those things are evil.

Last edited:

marsaday

Cakes and sweets =/= sugar, and is probably why most people think sugar is unhealthy.

Taking cakes as example: are usually processed foods high in fats and PUFA's and likely many other toxic additives that aren't even "Food" like high fructose corn syrup, food coloring, carrageenan gum, and more.

Usually, the foods that are problematic that people think of as "sweets" are other things too like donuts, pastries, cookies, fast food milkshakes, and most ice creams you buy in restaurants. None of these are Peat approved sugars. All of them are high PUFA/fats and other processed ingredients.

excess processed "Desserts" - cakes, milkshakes, pastries, donuts, cookies etc absolutely will cause diabetes I don't think anyone here, or Peat, would deny this, but it's because of the fats/pufa's and processed ingredients, not the carbs/sugar.

You made the right choice refusing statins. Those things are evil.

Thanks for the clarification because i am very confused on what is sugar. So Peat is saying all these sweet things we eat are actually bad for us then ? I have been battling with what peat has been saying and what Ivor Cummins is saying, but really the two are saying very similar things (i think).

Could you tell me then what is good sugar to eat in terms of food. What are chocolate bars like ? Are these rubbish as well ?

Cirion

Thanks for the clarification because i am very confused on what is sugar. So Peat is saying all these sweet things we eat are actually bad for us then ? I have been battling with what peat has been saying and what Ivor Cummins is saying, but really the two are saying very similar things (i think).

Could you tell me then what is good sugar to eat in terms of food. What are chocolate bars like ? Are these rubbish as well ?

I would read some of RP's articles on sugar/diabetes for more information if you want to learn more (see my signature if you don't already know the link to his website).

But basically some of the top recommendations from Peat are fresh ripe fruits, juices, milk for sugars and maybe some safe-ish starches also if you can digest them like well-boiled potatoes. It's up to the individual to find which fruits/juices etc they can digest/handle though. We have seen around here that some people have intolerance to milk, some juices or fruits, for example. All of the above are pretty low in fat. There's a big debate about how much is too much fat, but you can read up on the so called "Randle Cycle" that Haidut has posted a few articles on here and make your own decision. Peat himself eats pretty low fat and PUFA nowadays, but it's true in the past he used to eat high fat (But not high PUFA).

Last edited: