How To Prevent Diarrhea From Oral Magnesium

japanesedude

I've read some where that Vitamin B6 improve absorption of Magnesium.
so last night I took 1g Magnesium oxide with 10mg B6 before bed .
It knocked me down and induced deep sleep like a baby.
The sleep quality was just awesome but today I get diaarhea and gas.

Does anyone know other ways how to prevent diarrhea from magnesium?
I already have Magnesioum oil but Its not effective as oral intake magnesium.
and Its also a summer in Japan. so I don't want to use it bcoz It raises my body temp.

sofar Magnesium is the only thing that could reverse my insomnia so I want to take it every night.

EIRE24

and Its also a summer in Japan. so I don't want to use it bcoz It raises my body temp.

sofar Magnesium is the only thing that could reverse my insomnia so I want to take it every night.
Magnesium oxide in powder form? I have never gotten any bowel movements from Magnesium and have tried to achieve this to help bowel movements, so looks like we are looking for opposite outcomes :L

nikotrope

Diarrhea is partly due to magnesium deficiency (you can't get around it as long as you are deficient, especially with those doses).

paymanz

I had good experience with homemade magnesium acetate, you make it by adding vinegar to milk of magnesia(magnesium hydroxide) , in a 1:3 ratio if I remember correctly.you can find recipe on the net.

It has good bioavailability too.

Also acetate part of it is beneficial because it gets converted to co2 in the body.

I also want say bananas are not very peaty but if you need extra magnesium isn't it still better than gut irrating magnesium supplements?!

Those supplements probably produce more serotonin in gut than bananas.idk I still use magnesium supplements sometimes.

And you also get good dose of potassium and b6 with bananas.

squanch

Magnesium oxide isn't absorbed very well.
Homemade magnesium bicarbonate or like paymanz said magnesium acetate would be a lot better.

Not sure how it is in Japan, but I can't get milk of magnesia without additives where I live. Food grade magnesium hydroxide in powder form should be available though.

There's a really good mineral water from Slovenia with 1000 mg of magnesium per litre called "Rogaska Donat Mg", not sure if you have something similar in Japan. Actual mineral waters (not just carbonated tap water) aren't that popular outside of Europe for some reason.

Last edited:

paymanz

Magnesium oxide isn't absorbed very well.
Homemade magnesium bicarbonate or like paymanz said magnesium acetate would be a lot better.

Not sure how it is in Japan, but I can't get milk of magnesia without additives where I live. Food grade magnesium hydroxide in powder form should be available though.
Yeah unfortunetly I can't find milk of magnesia without additives too, it has sodium saccharin.

I don't think you can find power form , it has to be in water.otherwise it gets converted to oxides!

squanch

Yeah unfortunetly I can't find milk of magnesia without additives too, it has sodium saccharin.

I don't think you can find power form , it has to be in water.otherwise it gets converted to oxides!
Magnesium hydroxide is available in powder form. Magnesium bicarbonate can only exist as a solution in water.

There's a lot of magnesium hydroxide made from sea water lately:
Natürliches Magnesium Pulver (100%) - 1kg, reines Magnesium Hydroxid (enthält 38% Magnesium): Amazon.de: Drogerie & Körperpflege

I've always used this one, it'S sold as a food additive:
Magnesiumhydroxid reinst Lebensmittel-E528 500 ml Schraubdeckeldose | eBay

artlange

too much oral Mg will be flushed by the gut as a protective mechanism to avoid Mg overload. to test this out, try lower doses of a more readily absorbed Mg and start low, gradually increasing dose and back off when diahrrea occurs. for a while I was extremely sensitive to any supplement of Mg, and after a few weeks of no supplements, I can now tolerate a small supplement of MgMalate

Amazoniac

One of the problems with induced diarrhea is that it's usually followed by constipation to compensate for the stressful discharge. And then the second problem is that it's not all flushed, a great deal of it will remain in the intestines, magnesium in excess cooperates with iron to feed pathogens (most unused nutrients, in fact). So, it's not just a matter of not inducing diarrhea, because you can still have in excess of what you can absorb and still cause problems. Our master planner mentioned that people with weak metabolism can't absorb much, and it's one more reason why it must be easy to exceed. Taking small amounts spread throughout the meals, as Such suggested elsewhere, seems the safest. Just an opinion.

Frankdee20

Magnesium Oxide is notorious for causing this, and the citrate from as well. I used to have this problem with magnesium. Build your tolerance up, or switch to Glycinate, Chloride forms.

tara

burtlancast

Magnesium Oxide is notorious for causing this, and the citrate from as well. I used to have this problem with magnesium. Build your tolerance up, or switch to Glycinate, Chloride forms.

This.

Many laxatives include magnesium oxide because it's very badly absorbed and stays in the intestines attracting water.

Use the best form, magnesium chloride; anyone can take a teaspoon divided in 3 doses without too much intestinal discomfort.

peep

Your body has to get used to it. So start small and increase over time.
I once couldnt tolerate 100mg. Now 400 x3 is no problem.

Imo everything your body isnt used to (in high doses)will get you some side effects.

LUH 3417

I use magnesium carbonate. I take up to 1tspn sometimes and the recommended dose is 1/2 tspn. It has never given me diarrhea.

Frankdee20

I had good experience with homemade magnesium acetate, you make it by adding vinegar to milk of magnesia(magnesium hydroxide) , in a 1:3 ratio if I remember correctly.you can find recipe on the net.

It has good bioavailability too.

Also acetate part of it is beneficial because it gets converted to co2 in the body.

I also want say bananas are not very peaty but if you need extra magnesium isn't it still better than gut irrating magnesium supplements?!

Those supplements probably produce more serotonin in gut than bananas.idk I still use magnesium supplements sometimes.

And you also get good dose of potassium and b6 with bananas.

Wow, if only it was this easy to cook meth. Seriously though, so the acetic Acid in vinegar will turn the magnesium hydroxide in MOM to Magnesium Acetate ?

Frankdee20

Has anyone ever used Magnesium Lactate ? Of all the forms commercially available, it's not common to find.

Citrate; Oxide; Glycinate; Taurinate; Aspartate; Malate; Chloride; Succinate; Carbonate; chelate; lysinate; sulfate; Acetate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals