How to prepare topical niacinamide?

Lord Tigris

I'm trying to reduce my psoriasis and apparently topical niacinamide should be helpful, but I don't seem to get any results from it.

I usually melt it in some coconut oil, sometimes also mix it with Nutrisorb A. But I'm starting to doubt if coconut oil can effectively deliver it to the skin.

Any suggestions on how to best prepare topical niacinamide are very much appreciated.

jyb

Jenn said:
or olive oil. When you use ProgestE topically, its recommended to use olive oil instead of coconut oil as it absorbs better into the skin.

Niacinamide is water soluble - isn't water better?

Re progestE - I thought that the vit E inside was the best medium for absorption. Do you add olive oil on top? I assume that would be for skin areas where absorption is more difficult, unlike lips.

Jenn

Yes, I use straight progestE on my lips, thin skin there. It can sit there for a while, you probably end up eating half of it, not a bad thing. For topical application, like varicose veins, the olive oil is supposed to help it absorb faster and spread easier. Otherwise, you may end up with sticky leg for a long time or get it on clothing.

I don't know if water it better for niacinamide, but olive oil is better than coconut oil. ;)

I know you can put aspirin in a bath along with epsom salts and baking soda...so why not niacinimide?

jyb

I tried to prepare some topical lotions (I usually don't wash my face otherwise), like water with niacinamide and/or aspirin and/or baking soda.

I didn't like niacinamide and aspirin. I saw little overnight effect other than making some acne worse (I have occasional acne that clears up within 1-2 days, and a skin that's on some areas always slightly red - inflamed), I think due to spreading the bad skin oil when rubbing the water into the skin (I would gently spread some of the water for several minutes). The baking soda wasn't bad, just left the skin a bit dry.

Amosya

Lord Tigris said:
I'm trying to reduce my psoriasis and apparently topical niacinamide should be helpful, but I don't seem to get any results from it.

I usually melt it in some coconut oil, sometimes also mix it with Nutrisorb A. But I'm starting to doubt if coconut oil can effectively deliver it to the skin.

Any suggestions on how to best prepare topical niacinamide are very much appreciated.

The way I know is mixing with distilled water and glycerin. If you do a search around skin care forums there are various DIY Niacinamide preparations. HIH.