How To Peatarian Wash The Hair?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Presumably it must still be going well for you, any tips?
I use a little bit of soap on the "smelly bits" if needed. For the hair once in while I will use baking soda for the shampoo and then diluted vinegar for conditioner.

No soap no shampoo. Going several years for hair and about a year for body. My wife never knew. Hardest thing was unlearning the lifelong habit of reaching for the soap.

zooma

Thanks, i'll try out the baking soda/vinegar for my hair at some point. I've sort of fallen into a habit of using soap/shampoo a few times a week, but not everyday, so at least that is a start.

@Giraffe moving these posts made nwo2012' post the last one in the other thread, you tricked me into thinking he was back :(

Zachs

No soap no shampoo. Going several years for hair and about a year for body. My wife never knew. Hardest thing was unlearning the lifelong habit of reaching for the soap.

I honestly don't get this. How do you not get at least some greasy hair and face from only using water? Water can't cut grease and it really doesn't do much for dirt in pores either.

Zachs

I just use a locally made goat milk and coconut oil soap for under arms and down low areas. For hair, just a simple coconut oil based shampoo and conditioner. For cleaning the face, a small amount of baking soda does wonders for the pores. I only shower like 3-4 times a week.

I honestly don't get this. How do you not get at least some greasy hair and face from only using water? Water can't cut grease and it really doesn't do much for dirt in pores either.

I use water sometimes, but mostly don't mess with my hair. The grease was bad for the first 2 or 3 weeks. Then it went away and it's pretty much fine now. Weird, huh?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How do you not get at least some greasy hair and face from only using water?
Soaps/shampoo constantly strips the "grease" so the body goes into hyper grease making mode. So that's why people have to keep soaping up every day to keep that "dry" look. If you stop doing this, the body goes back to normal production and the excessive greasiness is not there. It does take some time to adjust down though, just like ecstatichamster said.

SQu

I'd like to revisit this. Bicarb and vinegar feel too harsh yet bicarb also gives a coated feeling I dislike. I need to dye my hair too, but I'm giving up on henna because it's too bright. My hair is long. I like clean fresh feeling hair. I know people who don't wash their hair and say it works for them but I don't think theirs looks great. My skin is quite dry and sensitive eg to niacinamide, can't use magnesium oil. Can't use oils or egg on my hair. I make my own lip balm heavy on beeswax, with tallow, cocoa butter, bit of coconut oil but like it thick, most are too light for me. So .. Thick but not oily, gentle, clean and light but not too dry, harsh. That's what works for me, skin and hair. Any women with long hair found a combination that works?

M

marikay

I'd like to revisit this. Bicarb and vinegar feel too harsh yet bicarb also gives a coated feeling I dislike. I need to dye my hair too, but I'm giving up on henna because it's too bright. My hair is long. I like clean fresh feeling hair. I know people who don't wash their hair and say it works for them but I don't think theirs looks great. My skin is quite dry and sensitive eg to niacinamide, can't use magnesium oil. Can't use oils or egg on my hair. I make my own lip balm heavy on beeswax, with tallow, cocoa butter, bit of coconut oil but like it thick, most are too light for me. So .. Thick but not oily, gentle, clean and light but not too dry, harsh. That's what works for me, skin and hair. Any women with long hair found a combination that works?

I'm just now trying again to only use warm water on my hair. I tried it once before but had to start using shampoo again as the sebum that was coming from my scalp was sticky and heavy. For some reason, maybe an increase in vitamin A, that sticky sebum problem has gone away a bit. So I'm using just water on my hair which is just below shoulder length and also dyed (have to do it unfortunately - industry I work in demands it).

As long as I wet it every day, I am seeing some pretty good results with no shampoo. My hair is soft and pretty shiny and manageable. I don't blow it dry unless the weather is humid.

I've used a little bit of pure olive oil (not virgin so no smell) no the ends every coupe of days to keep the ends smooth. I may try the aspirin, t3, caffeine, and a tiny bit of baking soda shampoo that has been recommended here but I haven't tried it yet.

SQu

Daily thorough wetting is an idea. Because I was also wondering about dust, we have so much. Two daily cool showers, are very drying on the skin even with absolutely minimal soap usage. Very dry climate, drought ... Think my( fair) skin and hair have always been dry. Not surprising I can't tolerate bicarb and vinegar then. So, maybe I'll try daily rinsing, my lip balm/ CO on tips occasionally.
I can never go back to commercial lip balm now that I make my own, hoping to get to the same place with those hated shampoos too. Thanks for the input.

M

marikay

I find coconut oil too heavy even for lips. The non-smell olive oil with a little bit of vitamin e is the best thing I have found for lips and hair. Cheers;)

Birdie

I have long hair. Sort of. Below shoulders only. Just cut off a few inches because I now have to wash it and my eyes so often.
Tried not washing it so often, but ended up with scalp break outs and blepharitis. I don't dye it. Trying to wash it two or three times a week or every other day now and this is helping. I use different shampoos adding tea tree oil. I rinse with lemon juice plus water...so mild, not strong lemon juice. Rinse much.
Then I use tiny bit of conditioner from the ears down, keeping it off the scalp. Rinse a lot. Then after de tangling, spray very lightly stay in conditioner. Then tiny drop serum.

I wasn't using the lemon juice or the TTO or serum and washed about once a week before.. I have tried the baking soda, the co, but results weren't good. I have just now washed it. It feels wonderful and looks great. So funny that I've neglected it for a few years and it wasn't looking too good. Now happy hair.

SQu

Very dilute lemon juice sounds good but I suppose might be bleaching which now that I have to dye is probably not a good idea. I like the idea of TTO. Today instead of washing I rinsed, massaging scalp. Now it feels itchy like it does when it needs a wash. Obviously there will be an adjustment phase. I'll see if I can stand to wait it out. If not I might revisit the more natural shampoo I used to use, not a supermarket rip off type.

Giraffe

I used coffee for a while (brewed strong coffee and let it cool down enough to not burn my scalp). It felt great on the scalp and the hair was nice. Downsides are that the smell lingers around as long as the hair is wet, and the bathroom was a mess each time (longish hair).

Then for a while I only rinsed my hair with water. This didn't work at all for me. My hair was all sticky and difficult to comb, and for the first time in my life I got terrible dandruff.

At the moment I use baking soda and vinegar (seems to work), but I think I will go back to coffee. To get rid of the dandruff applied an urea solution (just water and urea).

Birdie

In case anybody cares, this is my favorite shampoo of the moment: Angel Baby by Earth Mama-Angel Baby. A castile soap with aloe, vanilla, sweet orange... Amazon.

And yes, the lemon juice is for blondes. Didn't think of that when commented. I have heard people say it lightened their color when they didn't want that.

The TTO is to help with my scalp, roseacea, blepharitis problems.
Giraffe, that stuff happened to me when I washed my hair less often.

bobbybobbob

Freaking out about occasional soap use seems to be getting off into crazy land. This is like the people worrying about wifi signals. You're going to do more damage stressing over this stuff than it's capable of causing in the first place.

I just use a little bit of the plainest, cheapest white bar soap to wash hair about once a week. Rub it on the head and then work into a lather. No reason to use silly bottled shampoos: any detergent/soap will strip away smelly excess grease just fine. (A drop or two of pure detergent from the hardware store might be best, actually?)

A splash of vinegar works great as conditioner. I have a little spray bottle filled with vinegar in the shower. Spray on the hair and work around a bit before rinsing. It'll strip away any soap residues and also leave the hair "conditioned." I also use the vinegar as an aftershave. Good mild disinfectant for any micro nicks. I use a bit of the soap to shave every couple days in the shower. As with shampoo, special shaving creams are silly. They're all just soap with a bunch of extra added crap.

There's a deodorant stick brand called Brut that has a reasonably short ingredients list. It's just antibacterial stuff with a tiny bit of fragrance, no aluminum. I use it as needed when the weather gets warmer. I find that it's not necessary to use it much more than every few days. Seems to keep smelly bacteria in check. A spritz of Listerine also works really well. If you're paranoid about chemicals, vodka or Listerine in a spray bottle is probably your best option.

Birdie

We've always just used rubbing alcohol under arms. Works perfectly for us.

Luann

There was about a months time where the hair was real oily because its use to pumping out a lot of oil because everyone washes it out with shampoo. But eventually adjusted and things are great. I do use a little bit of soap on my arm pits, and buttocks region. Other then that, just water. For deodorant, I just put a little baking soda powder on and that does the job.

You could have cut your oily time down to less with vinegar. It takes out the shampoo so your hair stops getting gunky : )

Luann

I use just water.
Don't know if this has helped me or if it is just random, but I try to use less soap on the "rest of me" as well. I do this to teach my skin to make less oil. Maybe I'm nuts. But ya I use less dish soap, less to get my clothes clean, less soap when I wash my hands. Here is how my hair looks, and it has been 14 days:

Attachments

• mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 166
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals