How To Peatarian Wash The Hair?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
jyb, welcome to the "no poo" club! :rockout

chris

A few people have commented how soft my hair is. Wonder what their reactions would be if I told them I hadn't "washed" it in almost 2 years haha.

SheilaHelm1

Day six of not using any shampoo/conditioner ... just water.... for a female with shoulder length, thick hair don't know if its a good look!!! :shock: Although BF says it doesn't look any different :roll:
I have to 'wash' it every day otherwise it starts to hurt at the follicles!!! But I'm going to persist through the week with just water and do nothing at weekend see how it goes....

jyb

SheilaHelm1 said:
Day six of not using any shampoo/conditioner ... just water.... for a female with shoulder length, thick hair don't know if its a good look!!! :shock: Although BF says it doesn't look any different :roll:
I have to 'wash' it every day otherwise it starts to hurt at the follicles!!! But I'm going to persist through the week with just water and do nothing at weekend see how it goes....

If it becomes unbearable, maybe you could cheat with a bit of coconut oil at the beginning? Like warm water, dry, coconut oil, wait a few hours then rinse with warm water.

Avoid too hot water, otherwise it might make it more scratchy.

SheilaHelm1

Thanks for the advice Jyb x

Day 13
No shampoo, no conditioner, no bubble bath, no shower gel... Just washing with Bicarb of Soda every day and hair wash with it every 3 days.
I do not smell/look good!! :oops:
Nobody has commented yet, and I think in an office of 20+ females they would do if I was that bad, but.. I feel.. 'goaty'???

I'll carry on till I've gone a month, but whoah!! of all the things I've changed and adapted since 'Peatlife' this is the most difficult thing to do yet, by far!!!

I'm quite lucky skinwise and always had good skin and that does seem to look even better, more of a rosy glow than normal, but maybe a bit drier, but coconut oil is awesome anyway!

Is there ANYTHING I can use to smell nice?? :cry:

jyb

13 days is still the beginning possibly. Maybe coconut oil can do something with odor as it will stop the hair to keep producing that smelly oil as was used to, though you might not like the greasy appearance at first before the grease disappears naturally.

SheilaHelm1

Ha ha ha OK Jenn, goaty might be a bit over the top, but just kind of musty??? Like a bit of a funny dry sort of smell following me around...
Jyb, My hair doesn't look greasy but it feels weird and if I run my hand through it or whatever, its sort of stiff!!! in a strange way more manageable instead of floppy. So you think I have a fair way to go then only being at day 13? I'm no quitter so I can keep going but just not enjoying it. Also will the coconut oil not make it look really greasy? Do I rub it into the scalp or on the ends?... I'll do it at weekend when I won't be seen ha ha...
Thanks for all the advice, I really do need it. x

HDD

Hi, Sheila. I stopped using shampoo about a month ago and I still don't like the feel of my hair. I thought"goaty" was a good description of how mine feels. haha I am doing diluted baking soda and diluted vinegar but wonder if,like Jenn mentioned, my proportions aren't right for my hair.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
One thing you need to realize with no poo is that your hair isn't going to have that "dry" look that you are use to. This dry look is all the oils stripped from the hair. Thats why no manageability. Now, you have what people pay money for, manageable hair. It's takes some getting use to, because, its totally different from the norm. I think all this baking soda and vinegar stuff is just going to prolong that getting use to it process. :2cents

jyb

Charlie said:
One thing you need to realize with no poo is that your hair isn't going to have that "dry" look that you are use to. This dry look is all the oils stripped from the hair. Thats why no manageability. Now, you have what people pay money for, manageable hair. It's takes some getting use to, because, its totally different from the norm. I think all this baking soda and vinegar stuff is just going to prolong that getting use to it process. :2cents

Well it's going to become surprisingly "dry" and soft despite not washing it any more, but not as dry as when one has just shampooed. I like it because its dry enough but not excessively so easier to manage.

If I was a woman and had longer hair, maybe it would be more difficult?

SheilaHelm1

Interesting Charlie, maybe I'll just wash with water then and me and Haagendazendiane can become 'goaty hair buddies' :baaaaaaa Yeay!!

Jyb you're correct it is difficult with longer hair because its horrible to brush or comb... and then feels/looks greasier!!!

I'll see how it goes because although I'm not thrilled, I'm getting used to it slowly... :lol

Jenn

You have to keep in mind that commercial shampoos and conditioners have "shellacs" in them, intentionally. When you stop using it, it has to come off...thats part of the stiffness or glue feeling to the hair in the short term.

Baking soda for ME has other benefits besides cleaning the hair. It provides carbon, like drinking a soda or breathing into a bag. I use it for removing poison ivy oils too and calm the itching from the rashes and bug bites. I use the vinegar after cleaning my hair because my head itches something fierce otherwise. I have a friend who just uses vinegar. She claims to no longer be attacked by insects.

I don't wash it everyday. It doesn't need it. The oil does not come from my head, but my hands and the environment. I used to work at a movie theater eons ago....the amount of black filth that came off of clean looking windows DAILY would shock you. It's in the air.

If I keep it up, I don't need to wash it often. If I wear it down, I can go 3-4 days...unless I get grass, dust or manure in it. I don't add coconut oil intentionally to my hair. I do use it on my body and then may put up my hair and it travels that way.

Play with the ratios, like 1:8 instead of 1:1 or 1:2.

Kelly

I love reading about these experiments! I went no poo for 2-3 weeks once. It was awful. My hair was so greasy and it stunk. Like, if I browned ground beef, I swear I could still smell it in my hair days later, even if I rinsed it with hot water. Yech. I gave up and settled on washing with coconut milk with a shot of Dr Bronner's soap mixed in. I rinse with diluted vinegar every once in a while.

Edle

I am on a second attempt for no-poo. Lasted around 3 weeks last time.

I have long hair. After only 4 days, my hair is so awful, really. :oops: It is not just the grease from the roots. The bigger problem is the grease or whatever it at the lower 20 cm, making it stick together. It almost looks like I have dreads. My hair feels so much thinner and volume is 0.

I first rinse with sodium bicarbonate mixed with water, and then apple cider vinegar mixed with water. But I think I will try pure distilled industrial vinegar - maybe it is less sticky.

If anyone has any other recommendations I would appreciate it. I cannot go with water only - I know from experience it does not work. I go in the pool a few times a week. Need to rise out the chlorine properly. I also sweat some daily (live in the tropics, train outside), so pure water will not cut it.

I have tried some coconut oil in the past, but it only makes it more greasy. I have tried some of the organic natural oil soaps in the past too, but with bad results.

jaa

I've found combing my hair when it's wet/damp helps a lot with the grease.

Oh and I love this thread title. Puts a smile on my face every time I read it :)

Jenn

Try soaking with baking soda water, let it sit. Message it. Rinse. Apply again. Let it sit. Massage it. Repeat as necessary. You should be able to run your fingers through your hair. if it's still sticking, Repeat.

Then rinse with diluted vinegar. The ACV or distilled won't make a difference with the hair stickiness.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals