How To Mitigate Muscle/joint Stiffness Upon Waking

shepherdgirl

I have sometimes noticed mild muscle stiffness upon waking that resolves quickly, and I wonder what causes this. Could it be cortisol and adrenaline? Does anyone have any ideas about, or experience with, how to minimize or eliminate it? I think it is typically attributed to "getting old," but i suspect it is inflammation that could get worse if ignored.

tankasnowgod

But as far as some serious suggestions go..... Look into Inclined Bed Therapy, and also, I have had some success (at least at times) with both Vitamin D and K2. You could also experiment with the anti-inflammatory things (red light, aspirin, glycine, proline, taurine).

lampofred

Most people won't probably believe the following, but I have had some personal experience proving it to be true, so I'll just say it and leave it up to you guys as to whether you believe it or not...

Muscle stiffness is a sign of low vital energy, and deep sleep is the biggest drainer of vital energy that exists. (That's why total sleep deprivation is the most effective and reliable cure for depression known, and that's also why sleep is sometimes called "little death" in some cultures, along with orgasm.) So the way to cure this is to increase vital energy.

In my case, isolated vitamin supplementation more often than not didn't help, and the things that worked were broad ways to raise my body's vitality and reduce energy wastage: increasing CO2 by taping your mouth at night, increasing red light exposure, keeping as warm as possible at all times, maintaining a high intake of protein daily, etc. Basically everything that will raise thyroid function should help.

Beyond that, I have done meditative exercises that are meant to increase vital energy, of which obviously I was really suspicious at first, but they have really helped (the effect seems stronger than just a placebo effect but of course I can't say with 100% certainty that it's not just a placebo effect). I realize the whole vital energy thing might seem like a stretch, but I can give details about these exercises if anyone is interested.

Regina

Most people won't probably believe the following, but I have had some personal experience proving it to be true, so I'll just say it and leave it up to you guys as to whether you believe it or not...

Muscle stiffness is a sign of low vital energy, and deep sleep is the biggest drainer of vital energy that exists. (That's why total sleep deprivation is the most effective and reliable cure for depression known, and that's also why sleep is sometimes called "little death" in some cultures, along with orgasm.) So the way to cure this is to increase vital energy.

In my case, isolated vitamin supplementation more often than not didn't help, and the things that worked were broad ways to raise my body's vitality and reduce energy wastage: increasing CO2 by taping your mouth at night, increasing red light exposure, keeping as warm as possible at all times, maintaining a high intake of protein daily, etc. Basically everything that will raise thyroid function should help.

Beyond that, I have done meditative exercises that are meant to increase vital energy, of which obviously I was really suspicious at first, but they have really helped (the effect seems stronger than just a placebo effect but of course I can't say with 100% certainty that it's not just a placebo effect). I realize the whole vital energy thing might seem like a stretch, but I can give details about these exercises if anyone is interested.
Great advice.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

But as far as some serious suggestions go..... Look into Inclined Bed Therapy, and also, I have had some success (at least at times) with both Vitamin D and K2. You could also experiment with the anti-inflammatory things (red light, aspirin, glycine, proline, taurine).
I do take these anti-inflammatories, and I think that they really do make a difference for me. However I sometimes have some mild stiffness still so will look into the IBT as well.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

Such an interesting answer! I remember hearing, somewhere, that spinal flexibility was the key to a long life. So I think this vital energy theory is right in line with that! And that morning stiffness should not be ignored!
Yes I tape my mouth - actually working on trying to keep the jaw closed and not having to use tape (so far not too successful). I am recently taking CO2 fizzy baths and feel the difference for hours afterward. I will try to add in more red light- recently I have not been using it as often, and since it is winter, the big sleep of the northern hemisphere, surely the darkness is a big drain on this vital energy. So red light is probably extra important this time of year.
Oh yes please! I would be interested in knowing about these exercises to increase vital energy! Much appreciated!

tankasnowgod

(That's why total sleep deprivation is the most effective and reliable cure for depression known

I have never heard this before. Does someone have a good link for more details. Thanks.

I haven't necessarily heard the cure for depression thing, but it somewhat makes sense. Andrew Flether, who discovered Inclined Bed Therapy, has found several doctors from the past that have noted that bed rest often makes medical conditions worse, and will accelerate death. The claim is that raising the bed at night will help with circulation (blood, yes, but also lymph and cerobrospinal fluid, neither system which has any sort of heart to help out, and therefore depends on gravity to work), and also digestion. Lying flat makes it hard, if not impossible, for those systems to function.

Fletcher does mention depression in this blog post- The problem with sleeping is that the bed you sleep on is flat! - Inclined Bed Therapy IBT - Restore & Support Your Health

Lampofred, if you have studies or sources for sleep deprevation treating depression, please post them in the IBT thread. It might not be sleep per se, but lying flat that actually the problem.

fradon

I have sometimes noticed mild muscle stiffness upon waking that resolves quickly, and I wonder what causes this. Could it be cortisol and adrenaline? Does anyone have any ideas about, or experience with, how to minimize or eliminate it? I think it is typically attributed to "getting old," but i suspect it is inflammation that could get worse if ignored.

its could be blood pooling in that area or a lack of circulation in that area. the older you get the more the stiffness. once you get up then the blood moves around and you feel better.

they say rebounding is good for this. bob hope use to do 3 mintues of rebounding every morning he got up.

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@fradon
I think that could be the case - when I sit in one position for a long time it also seems to happen. But once I move around it goes away. I don't have a rebounder but I understand it's good for moving the lymph as well.

DaveFoster

@shepherdgirl
A large carrot eaten before bed positively impacts one's mood, energy levels well-being for the following morning, which includes somatic symptoms such as joint pain, fatigue and so on.

Dobbler

@shepherdgirl
A large carrot eaten before bed positively impacts one's mood, energy levels well-being for the following morning, which includes somatic symptoms such as joint pain, fatigue and so on.
Do you think raw carrot is strong enough to clean populated small intestine by itself?

lampofred

Such an interesting answer! I remember hearing, somewhere, that spinal flexibility was the key to a long life. So I think this vital energy theory is right in line with that! And that morning stiffness should not be ignored!
Yes I tape my mouth - actually working on trying to keep the jaw closed and not having to use tape (so far not too successful). I am recently taking CO2 fizzy baths and feel the difference for hours afterward. I will try to add in more red light- recently I have not been using it as often, and since it is winter, the big sleep of the northern hemisphere, surely the darkness is a big drain on this vital energy. So red light is probably extra important this time of year.
Oh yes please! I would be interested in knowing about these exercises to increase vital energy! Much appreciated!

1) Least mystical: Keeping your mind as empty as possible and slowing your breathing as much as possible throughout the day (in other words, just being aware and in the present moment throughout the day) can drastically increase energy for some people who live too much in their heads, since the brain is the biggest consumer of calories.

2) Moderately mystical: Close one nostril, inhale as deeply as you can through the other nostril, retain the breath for as long as you can (while being extremely careful because it's very easy to overdo this and cause yourself permanent damage), breathe it out slowly throughout the other nostril. Repeat with other nostril. This is one round. Do maybe 10 rounds at a session. The point is to retain as much air as possible for as long as possible via each nostril. At the end, you should feel calmer and more alert.

3) Extremely mystical -- I'm going to get very judged for this lol: Visualize pure vital energy all around you. Inhale air, and with this inhalation of air via your nose, visualize every pore of your body inhaling the vital energy all around you, swelling up like a sponge in water. Do not visualize yourself exhaling anything via your body, and exhale air normally via your nose. After doing this for 10 minutes or so, you should feel a "buzz," and a sense of being calmer and more alert. Overdoing this can actually be dangerous if you don't have something like methylene blue. It increases electrons in the body, which need to be controlled by either good metabolism (ATP, CO2) or electron acceptors like MB.

I have never heard this before. Does someone have a good link for more details. Thanks.

Sleep deprivation is an effective anti-depressant for nearly half of depressed patients, study suggests: Sleep deprivation - typically administered in controlled, inpatient settings - rapidly reduces symptoms of depression in roughly half of depression patients, according the first meta-analysis on the subject in nearly 30 years.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-sleep-deprivation-eases-depression/ -- Sleep deprivation is a quick and efficient way to treat depression. It works 60 to 70 percent of the time—far better than existing drugs—but the mood boost usually lasts only until the patient falls asleep.

Staying awake: the surprisingly effective way to treat depression -- Using sleep deprivation to lift people out of severe depression may seem counterintuitive, but for some people, it’s the only thing that works.

Also, Peat himself has recommended (I don't remember exactly where though) sleep deprivation as a quick way to get out of depression in the short-run.

Last edited:
OP
S

shepherdgirl

@AJC
No, only when i sit in one position for a long time, or sleep, sometimes my knees/ankles are stiff (mostly from meditation posture when circulation to feet gets cut off or other pain - i often struggle with the posture)

OP
S

shepherdgirl

1) Least mystical: Keeping your mind as empty as possible and slowing your breathing as much as possible throughout the day (in other words, just being aware and in the present moment throughout the day) can drastically increase energy for some people who live too much in their heads, since the brain is the biggest consumer of calories.

2) Moderately mystical: Close one nostril, inhale as deeply as you can through the other nostril, retain the breath for as long as you can (while being extremely careful because it's very easy to overdo this and cause yourself permanent damage), breathe it out slowly throughout the other nostril. Repeat with other nostril. This is one round. Do maybe 10 rounds at a session. The point is to retain as much air as possible for as long as possible via each nostril. At the end, you should feel calmer and more alert.

3) Extremely mystical -- I'm going to get very judged for this lol: Visualize pure vital energy all around you. Inhale air, and with this inhalation of air via your nose, visualize every pore of your body inhaling the vital energy all around you, swelling up like a sponge in water. Do not visualize yourself exhaling anything via your body, and exhale air normally via your nose. After doing this for 10 minutes or so, you should feel a "buzz," and a sense of being calmer and more alert. Overdoing this can actually be dangerous if you don't have something like methylene blue. It increases electrons in the body, which need to be controlled by either good metabolism (ATP, CO2) or electron acceptors like MB.

Sleep deprivation is an effective anti-depressant for nearly half of depressed patients, study suggests: Sleep deprivation - typically administered in controlled, inpatient settings - rapidly reduces symptoms of depression in roughly half of depression patients, according the first meta-analysis on the subject in nearly 30 years.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-sleep-deprivation-eases-depression/ -- Sleep deprivation is a quick and efficient way to treat depression. It works 60 to 70 percent of the time—far better than existing drugs—but the mood boost usually lasts only until the patient falls asleep.

Staying awake: the surprisingly effective way to treat depression -- Using sleep deprivation to lift people out of severe depression may seem counterintuitive, but for some people, it’s the only thing that works.

Also, Peat himself has recommended (I don't remember exactly where though) sleep deprivation as a quick way to get out of depression in the short-run.

Thanks very much for explaining the exercises Lampofred! I am kind of scared of the middle one (is that from Pranayama?) Don't want to do it the wrong way! Ironically, despite the fact that I am trying to be present in meditation, nevertheless I am stiff afterward briefly. But actually i think it is more of a nerve thing based on the meditation posture- much different than being stiff after waking up in the morning. I will have to try these (well maybe not the middle one...)

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@shepherdgirl
Thanks for the great suggestion Dave! I do regularly eat carrots, although sometimes I forget to. I probably should be more diligent.

lampofred

Thanks very much for explaining the exercises Lampofred! I am kind of scared of the middle one (is that from Pranayama?) Don't want to do it the wrong way! Ironically, despite the fact that I am trying to be present in meditation, nevertheless I am stiff afterward briefly. But actually i think it is more of a nerve thing based on the meditation posture- much different than being stiff after waking up in the morning. I will have to try these (well maybe not the middle one...)

With all the vital energy stuff, I forgot to mention that Peat thinks the issue with stiff/swollen joints is excess fluid accumulation from hypothyroidism and hypothyroid symptoms are likely to be worse in the mornings... Are your temps and pulse okay? Maybe check Vitamin D too?

OP
S

shepherdgirl

@lampofred
I am not saying i have stiff/swollen joints. Only that i am a bit stiff for a minute when i wake up, which includes joints, and then it goes away. I mean yes maybe the morning joint stiffness is related to low thyroid - I think I am slightly low.
Vit D should be good as I supplement it. My temps currently in low 98s and pulse usually 76-78. So i could stand to bring them up some more. Probably I should have upped my supps since it is winter too. Thanks for the suggestion!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals