How to make greek yoghurt from plain goat yoghurt?

Discussion in 'Yoghurt, Kefir' started by Filip1993, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Filip1993

Filip1993 Member

I love sweetened yoghurt but I can't find a good greek yoghurt where I live. Can someone explain for me how to make greek yoghurt from my organic plain goat yoghurt?

Thanks!

2. j.

j. Guest

I put a colander with a coffee filter in a bowl, add the yogurt, and leave it in the fridge. After a few hours a lot of the liquid will drip and you'll be able to eat the thicker yogurt.

3. OP
    Filip1993

Filip1993 Member

Thanks a lot!

4. himsahimsa

himsahimsa Member

5. OP
    Filip1993

Filip1993 Member

@himsahimsa Do you know how much protein/carb/fat is lost during straining? Let say the yoghurt contains 3,3 gram of protein, 3,9 grams of fat and 4,3 grams of carbohydrates per 100 g.

6. Nstocks

Nstocks Member

I'm looking to incorporate goat yogurt (store bought). What is the reasoning for straining the yogurt? Is the lactic acid in the liquid that drains out?

7. Nstocks

Nstocks Member

I've made my own goat yogurt by adding 1/4 cup store bought yogurt to 1Litre semi skimmed goat milk. 20 hours in the oven with the light on (for a little warmth).

It's not as thick as the store bought since I'm using lower fat milk, so I'll add some collagen hydrosalte.

I'm also straining it with coffee filters. Is all this clear liquid whey? From my understanding, goat milk has very little whey but after less than 1hour, all this liquid has drained! (making it easier to digest too?)

The image is showing half of the milk, with 500ml yogurt and 100ml drained liquid (so far)

Attached Files:

8. OP
    Filip1993

Filip1993 Member

It was too time consuming for me to make yoghurt everyday, I just drink milk now.