How To Lower Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Ask For Help or Advice' started by scoobydoo, Feb 13, 2020.

1. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Member

Curious on what you’ve found to lower BP
    My BP is typically around 130/90 but has been as high as 155/90 at docs office multiple times. I also get very strong reactions to coffee despite it helping my brain and mood. I eat food with coffee and add some maple syrup to try and lower the excitatory response but to no avail
    Thoughts?

2. Wilfrid

Wilfrid Member

Catecholamines are playing an important role in BP.
    Knowing the norepinephrine and epinephrine values can help tremendously.
    The heart is especially rich in norepinephrine. Do you know your T4, T3, TSH and vitamin D status? Your T4/T3 ratio ? How often do you urinate? How to you feel when your BP is high? do you have cold extremities? Low T4 levels, low insulin can trigger norepinephrine release as well as serotonin and histamine.
    Fairly high concentrations of NE also occur in the hypothalamus. Thus elevated NE can increase the T3/T4 ratio ( by increasing T3 and lowering T4 ). In this case, the D2 deiodinase enzymes increase at the expense of the D1 ones ( at the hypothalamus level ) and inhibit TRH release and, as a consequence , lead to a suppression of TSH release as well ( on pituitary level ). Which I think you don’t want long term because this situation can often mask a net hypothyroidism state, despite « normal » blood tests. In fact, NE and epinephrine both elevate body temperature as well as the metabolic rate and both also promote lipolysis....but in this situation your body is in a constant stress and catabolic state not the one you want for your thyroid health as well as your metabolism.

3. Wilfrid

Wilfrid Member

Correcting the underlying hypothyroid state ( taking a T4 supplement at physiological dose, if the T4 is already low on blood test. I think that a healthy T4 value should be in the upper tertile on the blood test range ) and making sure that the body calcium homeostasis is ok while minimizing foods or factors that trigger catecholamines release ( especially NE if both diastolic and systolic pressure are increased. ) could probably help a lot.

4. StephanF

StephanF Member

Ph.D. Physicist