How to lose fat safely while Peating

Sefton10

Yes for sure. I keep it at AMRAP, but not more than that. If I feel more fatigued then I'll do an easier exercise for that muscle group or just go lighter until I'm better recovered and then go heavy again. For example, instead of doing a heavy military press, I'll do light lateral raises.
Doing partial reps and negatives greatly enhances fatigue, so I don't go there often. It all depends on the muscle group. Since I've been training this way for a while I know how quickly I become fatigued and more or less how long it takes me to recover, so I've structured my workout in a way where I maximize gains and recovery, without reducing training volume or intensity even more.
And I'm sure as I get stronger and the fatigue gets more, then I'll adjust my workout even more.
Sensible approach. Too many Myoreps sets definitely screwed me up for a while!

I really like the more intuitive approach of basing what you do on how you feel that day rather than what a logbook says you have planned ?

Inaut

I'm been over training and started to question if it was doing anything. Thanks for the gentle reminder @Hans. More is not always better :)

Beastmode

I don't think ramping up T3 is a good idea either, but rather add more activity. Walking or sprinting is good to reduce bodyfat.
If you're not losing fat at 2700-2800 calories, then it means you're burning less. It doesn't mean your metabolism is slow at all. Some people have more of a stable baseline metabolism, meaning it doesn't fluctuate much when they increase or decrease metabolism. Other people might need 2000 calories on a cut and 4000 of a bulk just because their metabolism is more flexible.
I will definitely add the daily walk in without changing anything else to see how that helps.

I'm definitely a long term approach type as I already feel good and don't wish to get aesthetics at the cost of metabolic damage.

Sprints are always fun for me so that's an easy one to implement a few times per week.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'm been over training and started to question if it was doing anything. Thanks for the gentle reminder @Hans. More is not always better :)
And a common mistake is just to do more lol. It's not working, let's do more! It's interesting, I've heard from a few people that when the metabolism is better, they get better results from less training. Better metabolism = better muscle activation and workload = better gains.

David90

Yeah, that's the thing. Initially, I felt guilty training doing only 3 sets per week per muscle group, but I actually found my hypertrophy to be better that way. Muscle development is improving quite a lot.

That's Right. I know this mostly as High Intensity Training (HIT). Which is also really good. And there was many People in the Past who had good Results from it. Dorian Yates was the Most Prominent one to use it.

Kinobody's Greek God Program uses a Mix of Hit and Volume Training, i think. In the ''Strength and Density'' Workouts (the First and Basic one's) he does the Intensity via RPT Training. You do only 4-5 Exercises per Workout for around 2-3 Sets each. But most of them are Compound Exercises with RPT so you push it hard (but not TOO hard, that you overtrain). And after a Certain Time you switch to slight Increases of Higher Volume (Speciliazation Phases and MEGA Workout) for Short Amounts of Time and then dropping back to the Basic Workouts. Then Rinse and Repeat.

You don't have to feel Guilty for only training 3 Sets per Muscle Group per Week. As a matter of Fact, there is a ''Minimal Volume'' needed to preserve Muscle. And this is really not much. For Chest it would be 6 Sets, for Back 10 Sets and for Arms and Side/Rear Delts, 4 Sets.

In General if someone wants to build Muscle via More Volume then around 10 Sets per Muscle Group per Week are More than enough. Of course there is a Volume Chart for every Muscle Group to get into the more Sciencey Part of this Discussion (based from the Quotes of Dr. Mike Isratel) :

Minimum Effective Volume (MEV):
Chest: 10 Sets per Week / (12-20 Sets Maximum)
Back: 12 Sets per Week / (14-24 Sets Maximum)
Front Delts: 0 Sets per Week / (6-8 Sets Maximum)
Side & Rear Delts: 8 Sets per Week / (16-22 Sets Maximum)
Traps: 6 Sets per Week / (10-18 Sets Maximum)
Abs: 10 Sets per Week / (12-20 Sets Maximum)
Glutes: 0 Sets per Week / (4-12 Sets Maximum)
Hamstrings: 6 Sets per Week / (12-18 Sets Maximum)
Quads: 8 Sets per Week / (12-18 Sets Maximum)
Calves: 8 Sets per Week / (12-16 Sets Maximum)
Biceps: 6 Sets per Week / (12-18 Sets Maximum)
Triceps: 6 Sets per Week / (10-14 Sets Maximum)

This is a Individual Guideline for Every Muscle Group. This is for someone that wants to bring certain (lagging?) Muscle Groups up. Please remember, that the Muscle Groups that have ''0 Sets per Week'' are trained indirectly via Compound Movements. Glutes get indirectly Trained via Bent Over Rows, Deadlifts and so forth and Front Delts get indirectly Trained via. Incline and Flat Bench Press and so forth.

I've had Experimented with this for a while and there is surely something to that. In Autumn 2019 i was doing a ''Back Phase'' with Higher Volume (15-18 Sets per Week for Back) and keeping all other Muscle Groups at Low Volume. After the 1 to 1 1/2 Month Mark i noticed that my Back was getting Bigger and even my Shirts began to span. The Same Experience was with Glutes, Abs, Arms & Side Delts.

As long as you can stimulate the muscle sufficiently, then you don't have to do more.
But I should say that my secret is that I don't only train with weights. I find that inferior to what I'm currently doing.
Max effort one set, rest, max effort next exercise, rest and so on.

Absolutly Right on that Part. Most People can and should stay around Low/Medium Volume (to put it super simple: 10 Sets for Bigger Muscle Groups and 4-8 for smaller Muscle Groups per Week). Exception is, if they have lagging Muscle Groups or want to give Higher Volumes in General a shot. First and Foremost is that the Muscle is sufficiently Stimulated. This is why in my past Posts i said multiple Times to Train with Heavy Weights that puts you around 1-2 Reps shy of Failure. That is more than Enough. I would personally stay away going to Failure on Compound Exercises or any Exercise at all. Or at least doing it on The Last Isolation Exercise of the Workout (for Example a Biceps Curl or Cable Triceps Pushdown).

Only Training with Weights must not be. Calisthenics and Training with Bands is and can be also very useful in that Regard. A mix of all Three would be best.

Last edited:

David90

And a common mistake is just to do more lol. It's not working, let's do more! It's interesting, I've heard from a few people that when the metabolism is better, they get better results from less training. Better metabolism = better muscle activation and workload = better gains.
Yeah you're Right. Doing more is not the Solution. Rather decreasing the Sets/Volume by 10 to 15% (especially if you're in a Caloric Deficit) can be very helpful. This could be done (in one of many ways) by doing less Isolation Exercises and keeping Compound Exercises the Same.

I Personally done your 30 Minute Workout Idea for Over a Week now (Doing 30 Minute Workouts during the Week and on Sunday a 60 Minute Workout) and i like it.
I maybe need to Rebuild the Workouts but it should be sustainable Long Term.

Uselis

@Hans

If I am not mistaken past summer you've been refined sugare'ing your coffees liberally. I see you use all honey now.

What was the reason you switched? White tongue issues you mentioned prior? I am curious on your stance about sucrose these days.

Thank you for your contributions!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans

If I am not mistaken past summer you've been refined sugare'ing your coffees liberally. I see you use all honey now.

What was the reason you switched? White tongue issues you mentioned prior? I am curious on your stance about sucrose these days.

The main reason I switched is because I want to have a more whole source of carbs compared to sugar. Many studies show that honey is better than sugar, when it comes to lowering oxidative stress, promoting fat loss, etc

AndrogenicJB

wh
@Hans

what is this white tongue issue i have it

Ben Stone

Many on here would kill to have access to raw goat milk! Only issue might be too much lactic acid from that much yoghurt. Cottage cheese is much higher in phosphorus than milk too so could tip the balance away from calcium if eating meat etc as well.
Thanks. I see many on here prefer low/no fat dairy, this is also something I cannot access, only whole raw goats milk products. What symptoms might I experience from too much lactic acid? I only consume greek yogurt made from the goat milk.

Ben Stone

Adding mass is easy. Just eat enough protein and calories and you're good to go. My top 3 foods for bulking would be milk, meat (and organ meat) and eggs. Then obviously you can add honey, fruit or whatever other carbs you want.
But cottage cheese and yogurt are perfect. Perhaps add some meat, yolks and more carbs and you should be good to go.
Thanks for your feedback. I am also increasing fruit and honey, and some potatoes.

Sefton10

Thanks. I see many on here prefer low/no fat dairy, this is also something I cannot access, only whole raw goats milk products. What symptoms might I experience from too much lactic acid? I only consume greek yogurt made from the goat milk.
I notice it as just a general lethargy/spacey feeling and 'deadness' in the muscles, especially if I've worked out too. Not a prescription and just my N = 1 here. I've leaned out a little since dropping starch and stuff like non-fat Skyr and cottage cheese and sticking to a litre of jersey milk a day and some feta cheese as my dairy. I think the vits/minerals in the fat maybe help maximise stuff like calcium in the milk. Averaging around 100g fat a day. Fruit, eggs, honey, bone broth, bits of meat/fish make up most of the rest.

Ben Stone

I notice it as just a general lethargy/spacey feeling and 'deadness' in the muscles, especially if I've worked out too. Not a prescription and just my N = 1 here. I've leaned out a little since dropping starch and stuff like non-fat Skyr and cottage cheese and sticking to a litre of jersey milk a day and some feta cheese as my dairy. I think the vits/minerals in the fat maybe help maximise stuff like calcium in the milk. Averaging around 100g fat a day. Fruit, eggs, honey, bone broth, bits of meat/fish make up most of the rest.
Thank you for sharing!

livesimply

deleted

Last edited:

livesimply

Thanks for reading! 1500 is really low and the older one is, the more important it becomes to buffer stress with food. Avoiding low-calorie intake, such as 1500, is important. I'd say no less than 2000, but preferably 2500. Then just be more active outdoors to upregulate energy expenditure. I'd also bump protein up to 120-150g and get about 30g from gelatin.
Carb intake at 300-400g from fruit, honey, milk, etc., if possible.
Rather focus on fixing the metabolism (thyroid) and other health issues, before adding a stressful deficit.
So I've been using cronometer since February along with LOTS of walking/hiking & a 30 minute circuit training class 3 x week. I've lost 25 lbs. so far. My calories burned average is 2000-2200 daily and my calorie deficit is anywhere from 400-800 (I try to keep it less than 500). After re-reading your original post I'm upping my calories. ;) With a 60-20-20 ratio you recommend, that would be 300g carbs, 100g protein, and 45g fat. Is that a reasonable amount of each? Also, the milk I drink is this: Maple Hill Whole Grassmilk but I see you drink lowfat milk. I thought I understood that milk without added vitamins was better but Maple Hill fortifies their lowfat milk (required by law). Which should I drink? Lastly, can the gelatin be from collagen hydrolysate? THANK YOU!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
So I've been using cronometer since February along with LOTS of walking/hiking & a 30 minute circuit training class 3 x week. I've lost 25 lbs. so far. My calories burned average is 2000-2200 daily and my calorie deficit is anywhere from 400-800 (I try to keep it less than 500). After re-reading your original post I'm upping my calories. ;) With a 60-20-20 ratio you recommend, that would be 300g carbs, 100g protein, and 45g fat. Is that a reasonable amount of each? Also, the milk I drink is this: Maple Hill Whole Grassmilk but I see you drink lowfat milk. I thought I understood that milk without added vitamins was better but Maple Hill fortifies their lowfat milk (required by law). Which should I drink? Lastly, can the gelatin be from collagen hydrolysate? THANK YOU!
Great to hear you're making such good progress!
Your macros look good. Fat intake is a bit low, but that's understandable since you're only eating 2000-2200 calories. Fat can help with satiety and hormone production, but if you're feeling good, then there is no need to worry about it.
You don't have to go low fat if you still hit all your macros and micros. I just like to stick to low fat, since then I have more calories to get micros from other foods.
And yes, collagen hydrolysate is perfect.

livesimply

Great to hear you're making such good progress!
Your macros look good. Fat intake is a bit low, but that's understandable since you're only eating 2000-2200 calories. Fat can help with satiety and hormone production, but if you're feeling good, then there is no need to worry about it.
You don't have to go low fat if you still hit all your macros and micros. I just like to stick to low fat, since then I have more calories to get micros from other foods.
And yes, collagen hydrolysate is perfect.
Me again. Thanks for your clarifications. I think you're right about the fat ratio being a little low, so I'm thinking to make it 55-20-25 which would give me 275g carbs, 100g protein, 55g fat. I did low carb for years (never again), and I don't eat any low fat foods like milk or cheese (except LF Greek yogurt). If I'm having a very non-active da--which happens occasionally--I may go down to 225g carbs that day so I still get in my protein. What do you think?

Also, I guess you could say I eat a "Peat-inspired" diet (careful about PUFA mainly, and organic) but not as strict as many here.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Me again. Thanks for your clarifications. I think you're right about the fat ratio being a little low, so I'm thinking to make it 55-20-25 which would give me 275g carbs, 100g protein, 55g fat. I did low carb for years (never again), and I don't eat any low fat foods like milk or cheese (except LF Greek yogurt). If I'm having a very non-active da--which happens occasionally--I may go down to 225g carbs that day so I still get in my protein. What do you think?

Also, I guess you could say I eat a "Peat-inspired" diet (careful about PUFA mainly, and organic) but not as strict as many here.
Sounds good to me. A little higher protein might be needed if you want to build muscle as well. Generally, higher protein intake is better for retaining lean mass, but this comes down to how much lean mass someone has.

livesimply

Sounds good to me. A little higher protein might be needed if you want to build muscle as well. Generally, higher protein intake is better for retaining lean mass, but this comes down to how much lean mass someone has.
:thumbup::thumbup: 50-25-25 ratio sounds good for ME (definitely want to build some muscle)! thanks again.