How To Limit The Prolactin Increase From Exercise

maillol

It has been shown that endurance exercise increases prolactin. I haven't seen any studies on weight training but from personal experience I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same.

Does anyone have any ideas how this might be mitigated?

lampofred

Anything that lowers blood sugar will raise prolactin.

Kunstruct

Are there any studies to show that the typical pre-workout/intra-workout (BCAA, Tyrosine, Caffeine, Beta-Alanine, Creatine etc) keeps prolactin low?

Soren

Forum Supporter
Sugar and salt. Good intra/pre workout shake is pulp free orange juice, collagen protein, coconut water and salt.

Check out what product just arrived on the market here: coconut water with collagen peptides (~1700mg potassium and 20 grams collagen in 1 litre).

proteine_kokoswater_en-1.png

-Luke-

Check out what product just arrived on the market here: coconut water with collagen peptides (~1700mg potassium and 20 grams collagen in 1 litre).

View attachment 16241
I drank that a lot last summer when I was in the Netherlands. Unfortunately they only seem to sell it there.

I drank that a lot last summer when I was in the Netherlands. Unfortunately they only seem to sell it there.

The Netherlands-- land of the lean and home of the hydrated.

Ah, so the product is already at least a half year old. Never saw it before recently.

Supermarket closest to my house had a shelf full of these last week during a 1+1 deal, so I purchased the motherload. Returned for more and they said it was a faulty order. Now like you I have problems getting my fix.

-Luke-

Yes, I saw it at Albert Heijn and I believe Deka as well (Amsterdam and Zandvoort). Perfect drink.

Zoiros

I personally take 150 mg aspirin 1 hr before and immediately following exercise. I will increase the dose by an extra 150 mg if I do any high volume work or cardio.

I also take phosphatidylserine(soy free), quinine, and ginger. This combo, with ASA, really kills any negative cortisol/serotonin response, and blocks tryptophan better than BCAA’s IME. Obviously, taken with plenty of sugar and gelatin.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I way I'd do it is to prevent hyperventilation and maximize CO2. As CO2 drops, serotonin increases and this spikes prolactin. Also training in hot weather and sweating too much can spike prolactin.
To keep serotonin low and CO2 high I'd take 500mg vitamin B1, 10mg methylene blue and 100-200mg caffeine (caffeine reduces the exercise-induced rise in serotonin). Also focus on nose breathing only.
Additionally, to increase dopamine and keep serotonin low I'd take 5g BCAA with 1-2g phenylalanine and 5g creatine.

OP
maillol

maillol

I way I'd do it is to prevent hyperventilation and maximize CO2. As CO2 drops, serotonin increases and this spikes prolactin. Also training in hot weather and sweating too much can spike prolactin.
To keep serotonin low and CO2 high I'd take 500mg vitamin B1, 10mg methylene blue and 100-200mg caffeine (caffeine reduces the exercise-induced rise in serotonin). Also focus on nose breathing only.
Additionally, to increase dopamine and keep serotonin low I'd take 5g BCAA with 1-2g phenylalanine and 5g creatine.
I've read about the bcaa phanylalanine combo before but not with creatine. Does creatine increase dopamine?

Hans

Forum Supporter
I've read about the bcaa phanylalanine combo before but not with creatine. Does creatine increase dopamine?
It seems to increase dopamine and activate the dopamine receptors.

Antidepressant-like effect of creatine in mice involves dopaminergic activation. - PubMed - NCBI
"These results indicate that the antidepressant-like effect of creatine is likely mediated by an activation of dopamine D₁ and D₂ receptors."

Brain serotonin and dopamine modulators, perceptual responses and endurance performance during exercise in the heat following creatine supplementation
"In addition, several pharmacological studies suggested that oral Cr supplementation has been found to increase brain DA synthesis in the substantia nigra of mice by protecting against striatal dopamine depletion [22] and/or by enhancing tyrosine hydroxylase activation (the rate-limiting enzyme of brain DA biosynthesis)"

OP
maillol

maillol

It seems to increase dopamine and activate the dopamine receptors.

Antidepressant-like effect of creatine in mice involves dopaminergic activation. - PubMed - NCBI
"These results indicate that the antidepressant-like effect of creatine is likely mediated by an activation of dopamine D₁ and D₂ receptors."

Brain serotonin and dopamine modulators, perceptual responses and endurance performance during exercise in the heat following creatine supplementation
"In addition, several pharmacological studies suggested that oral Cr supplementation has been found to increase brain DA synthesis in the substantia nigra of mice by protecting against striatal dopamine depletion [22] and/or by enhancing tyrosine hydroxylase activation (the rate-limiting enzyme of brain DA biosynthesis)"
Interesting. Will have to try it.