How To Increase Serotonin For Gut Motility

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hi yerrag,
My recommendation to stay on the salt comes from reading Peat's articles. He cites it in so many of his articles, I don't know which ones to point you to. My mother's edema was horrific and the hospital put her on both a water and salt restriction protocol (with a diuretic). She was rapidly getting worse. I snuck her waters and added salt. Anyway, I was desperately reading Ray's articles (here's one: Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity) to try to understand her precipitous decline.
I bought Haidut's TyroMix, Oxidal, Progesterone, Ritanserin and Energin for the mother Rat. Lapodin might be another option for your Mom.
I hear you. I hope you were able to get rid of her edema. My mom's edema was under gone when she was at the hospital. I now realize it had a lot to do with electrolyte balance. Since her sodium and potassium was constantly being monitored, and since I was slipping salt and magnesium into her food, my mom's edema disappeared. But her edema reappeared when after a few days back from the hospital, and I guess it must have been from my not giving her as much salt and magnesium as before. When I went back to giving her these minerals, her edema went away. So, yes, definitely, salt and magnesium plays a large role. But I read up on Giraffe's transcript of a KMUD feature on urea, and would also consider using urea if minerals weren't enough to fix it.

I have been putting off on buying Haidut's products. I keep thinking I'm going to miss something when I order, and wanted to make sure I don't miss an item. And have to buy again. I'm having to send it to my sister so she can ship it to me as I'm overseas.

Yes, your mom definitely needs the magnesium citrate.. I would eliminate the calcium supplements,till she gets her elimination going properly again, and just let her get her calcium from natural sources instead of a supplement. Or just let her have a little calcium supplement. Calcium supplements are notorious for making people constipated.

* The thing about the Natural Calm is you can take it everyday. Unlike the Cascara. It's not going to hurt your mom. Once she gets going she won't need a lot.
My mom's fine now with her elimination, and I've been giving her calcium supplements ground up and mixed with her milk blend. I think her having magnesium helps.

How much calcium and magnesium are you taking a day? Isn't 1500mg of each daily just right?

I find magnesium glycinate okay in moderation. Too much is irritating to the gut. A little B6 P5P taken with can help a lot. This can be crucial at the beginning to get your energy levels up metabolically.

Cascara can be taken in a tiny amount, like you said @DaveFoster 1/16th of a teaspoon, and it does a lot of good and is very gentle, I would think for an old person too.

Both together in low dosages can help a great deal.

amethyst

I hear you. I hope you were able to get rid of her edema. My mom's edema was under gone when she was at the hospital. I now realize it had a lot to do with electrolyte balance. Since her sodium and potassium was constantly being monitored, and since I was slipping salt and magnesium into her food, my mom's edema disappeared. But her edema reappeared when after a few days back from the hospital, and I guess it must have been from my not giving her as much salt and magnesium as before. When I went back to giving her these minerals, her edema went away. So, yes, definitely, salt and magnesium plays a large role. But I read up on Giraffe's transcript of a KMUD feature on urea, and would also consider using urea if minerals weren't enough to fix it.

I have been putting off on buying Haidut's products. I keep thinking I'm going to miss something when I order, and wanted to make sure I don't miss an item. And have to buy again. I'm having to send it to my sister so she can ship it to me as I'm overseas.

My mom's fine now with her elimination, and I've been giving her calcium supplements ground up and mixed with her milk blend. I think her having magnesium helps.

How much calcium and magnesium are you taking a day? Isn't 1500mg of each daily just right?
It varies as to how much magnesium I take. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I take more especially when I exercise because we excrete it when exercizing. I usually take about 400-600 mgs. of magnesium glycinate and magnesium from food as well, and get my calcium from food sources.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hi yerrag,
My recommendation to stay on the salt comes from reading Peat's articles. He cites it in so many of his articles, I don't know which ones to point you to. My mother's edema was horrific and the hospital put her on both a water and salt restriction protocol (with a diuretic). She was rapidly getting worse. I snuck her waters and added salt. Anyway, I was desperately reading Ray's articles (here's one: Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity) to try to understand her precipitous decline.
I'm increasing her salt from 5g to 10g/day. Yesterday sodium blood test still had her at low of reference range after 10 days of 5g/day. When I thought about my mom's hospitalization, I realized she was having 2 liters of normal saline per day, and that is equivalent to 18g/day of salt. She'll be taking another test in two days. We'll see how the 10g/day does to her sodium results.

I'll also check on her temperature and blood pressure, as her temperature was much higher when she was also having 5g salt/day with her food, which adds up to 23g/day of salt.

Her systolic blood pressure went up a few days ago, while her diastolic stayed low, this made her pulse pressure (difference between systolic and diastolic) go above 60, which isn't good as per Ray Peat. Will also find out if more salt will improve her blood pressure.

p.s. Doctor required blood tests every 3 day as condition of my mom's discharge from hospital. So, it is an opportunity for me to tweak her salt intake which otherwise I wouldn't be doing.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals