How To Increase Serotonin For Gut Motility

DaveFoster

Sometimes, I think cascara, might be a little hard on an elderly person. I think they may do better on magnesium. Elderly people's system are more fragile. Not knocking the cascara. Just that I think his mom needs something a little bit more gentle.
You could always start with a lower dose, like 1/16 tsp but I'm not sure either way.

Daave I think u tried both

Mg is really bad
It irritatesthe stomach
The irritation is really dangerous

I tried cascara once
It was amazing
I didn't get diarrhea
I get a good bm

DaveFoster

Mg is really bad
It irritatesthe stomach

I tried cascara once
It was amazing
I didn't get diarrhea
I get a good bm
The question was for the elderly, which is pretty general. I also find cascara easier on the GI tract than magnesium, and I think Peat would agree.

Magnesium is horribly allergenic; I think it's the worst offender as far as minerals go. Topical seems to be fine.

Topical is amazing I can't say other than that

But cascara is mild cleanser if it is a good quality

I can hear you very well

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster @Bahaa El wazzan Either of you tried the magnesium bicarb water for your magnesium sources?
I have not; I might try it out one of these days, but it takes time to prepare.

Right now I'm using molasses and milk mostly, but molasses is carcinogenic and mutagenic.

amethyst

Mg is really bad
It irritatesthe stomach

I tried cascara once
It was amazing
I didn't get diarrhea
I get a good bm
Not the Natural Calm. It's pretty gentle. Magnesium oxide is pretty rough tho. Natural Calm is magnesium citrate. I think the mom would start at 1 tsp, maybe 1.5 tsps.

amethyst

The question was for the elderly, which is pretty general. I also find cascara easier on the GI tract than magnesium, and I think Peat would agree.

Magnesium is horribly allergenic; I think it's the worst offender as far as minerals go. Topical seems to be fine.
Not necessarily. As I said to Bahaa, magnesium oxide is definitely rough. But Natural Calm is gentle if you don't overdo it. It's Mag Citrate.

@amethyst

I tried the citrate one
The carbonate also
And oxide

For me oxide is very good and gentle

Citrate
Even in 100 mg
I got diarrhea after 2 minutes hhahaa

Oxide never gave diarrhea and it relaxes my muscles very good

Carbonate is better than citrate
But gives diarrhea after 15 minutes

Im not trying to say ur wrong
Im just talking about my experience

It seems the ratio of mg to citrate is different in natural calm
And i suppose ur right

I would like to ask
Why mg oxide relaxes my muscles and fix any type of pain
I know there is like 180 mg magnesium in every 1 gram of mg oxide

But i believe the secret is in oxide

Do you have any idea whats oxide?

DaveFoster

Not the Natural Calm. It's pretty gentle. Magnesium oxide is pretty rough tho. Natural Calm is magnesium citrate. I think the mom would start at 1 tsp, maybe 1.5 tsps.
Magnesium citrate, if containing industrial-grade citric acid is very allergenic. Magnesium citrate would probably exacerbate other mineral deficiencies (not magnesium necessarily), as the citric acid will increase urinary excretion of your other electrolytes.

Magnesium glycinate (chelate) is probably the best form, but it tastes like death.

DaveFoster

Haha haha glycine itself taste like dirty sugar

But mg glycinate
Is mg carbonate with glycine right ?
No magnesium carbonate is this: MgCO3

Magnesium glycinate is this: C4H8MgN2O4

I remember glycinate having the highest absorption, and oxide's the middle. Citrate and carbonate are in the middle I believe.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I think you should stick with the salt--as much as she is willing. And maybe add more aspirin and add caffeine.
What about methylene blue (Haidut's Oxidal), progesterone and thyroid? Might help with the UTI's. And emodin and carrot salad for endotoxemia. I'd probably drop the whey because of the tryptophan might increase serotonin.
I was adding whey because it's easy protein, but you're right. My mom's started to eat more protein from regular meals. I can remove the whey now.

When I was giving her 5 grams a day, her salt went above reference range, at 154, with range being 139-153.50. But when I stopped salt, it quickly went down to about 143. Now, I'm just subjectively limiting my mom to 4 grams salt/day. What is your basis for how much salt to take?

The Oxidal will be on my next order. What progesterone and thyroid brands are good?

The cascara (emodin) I got from Nature's Plus worked quickly to fix my mom's constipation. But I stopped using it when she had frequent bowel movement. I should start her back on it on reduced dosage. She was taking a 100 mg capsule once daily.

@yerrag

Make sure you buy aged cascara; the non-aged variety is toxic. Mountain Rose Herbs has a good product.
Thanks Dave. Good to know a brand you recommen.

I take some everyday. It's great. The recommended amount on the container says 2 tsps. which varies for me. If she tried that, it should help get her regular. Then she can taper off.

I also take a regular magnesium supplement called Magnesium Glycinate (I do this for my muscles as I work out regularly) but magnesium is important for elimination. Too much calcium and not enough magnesium can clog someone up. And it's even worse if someone is on medications that constipate you.

You might get your mom on a liver cleansing regimen using vitamin E and sunflower lecithin, as this really detoxes your liver and helps emulsify fats. It also helps you "go". A lot of digestion problems and elimination problems have to do with a clogged liver.
Since I'm giving my mom at 1500mg calcium/day, shouldn't I also be giving an equal amount of magnesium? That works out to 8 tsps of Calm per day (each 2 tsp serving = 350mg magnesium). Is this too much?

My mom also has about 30g of magnesium oil applied to her each day. This would be equivalent to 350mg magnesium into the body, since Ray says about a tenth of the quantity applied transdermally gets through. I had made the magnesium oil from a technical grade of magnesium chloride. With this considered, I could reduce the Natural Calm intake from 8 to 6 teaspoons/day.

Sometimes, I think cascara, might be a little hard on an elderly person. I think they may do better on magnesium. Elderly people's system are more fragile. Not knocking the cascara. Just that I think his mom needs something a little bit more gentle.
Thanks for the note. I'll be careful with small amounts at the start. She had used it before and it fixed quickly her constipation. But subsequent usage resulted in frequent BM. So there is definitely a need for caution and reduced dosage.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Regina

I was adding whey because it's easy protein, but you're right. My mom's started to eat more protein from regular meals. I can remove the whey now.

When I was giving her 5 grams a day, her salt went above reference range, at 154, with range being 139-153.50. But when I stopped salt, it quickly went down to about 143. Now, I'm just subjectively limiting my mom to 4 grams salt/day. What is your basis for how much salt to take?

The Oxidal will be on my next order. What progesterone and thyroid brands are good?

The cascara (emodin) I got from Nature's Plus worked quickly to fix my mom's constipation. But I stopped using it when she had frequent bowel movement. I should start her back on it on reduced dosage. She was taking a 100 mg capsule once daily.

Since I'm giving my mom at 1500mg calcium/day, shouldn't I also be giving an equal amount of magnesium? That works out to 8 tsps of Calm per day (each 2 tsp serving = 350mg magnesium). Is this too much?

My mom also has about 30g of magnesium oil applied to her each day. This would be equivalent to 350mg magnesium into the body, since Ray says about a tenth of the quantity applied transdermally gets through. I had made the magnesium oil from a technical grade of magnesium chloride. With this considered, I could reduce the Natural Calm intake from 8 to 6 teaspoons/day.

Thanks for the note. I'll be careful with small amounts at the start. She had used it before and it fixed quickly her constipation. But subsequent usage resulted in frequent BM. So there is definitely a need for caution and reduced dosage.
Hi yerrag,
My recommendation to stay on the salt comes from reading Peat's articles. He cites it in so many of his articles, I don't know which ones to point you to. My mother's edema was horrific and the hospital put her on both a water and salt restriction protocol (with a diuretic). She was rapidly getting worse. I snuck her waters and added salt. Anyway, I was desperately reading Ray's articles (here's one: Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity) to try to understand her precipitous decline.
I bought Haidut's TyroMix, Oxidal, Progesterone, Ritanserin and Energin for the mother Rat. Lapodin might be another option for your Mom.

amethyst

Magnesium citrate, if containing industrial-grade citric acid is very allergenic. Magnesium citrate would probably exacerbate other mineral deficiencies (not magnesium necessarily), as the citric acid will increase urinary excretion of your other electrolytes.

Magnesium glycinate (chelate) is probably the best form, but it tastes like death.
The reason I mentioned Natural Calm (to Yerrag) is so his poor mother can go to the bathroom which is why Yerrag posted his thread in the first place, duh. :rolleyes:I was not arguing the merits of which magnesium is better. I happen to think Magnesium glycinate is a better quality magnesium. But to help his mother out, I mentioned the Natural Calm. because it works. It helps you go and that is what she needed according to Yerrag.

amethyst

Yes, your mom definitely needs the magnesium citrate.. I would eliminate the calcium supplements,till she gets her elimination going properly again, and just let her get her calcium from natural sources instead of a supplement. Or just let her have a little calcium supplement. Calcium supplements are notorious for making people constipated.

* The thing about the Natural Calm is you can take it everyday. Unlike the Cascara. It's not going to hurt your mom. Once she gets going she won't need a lot.