How To Increase Lung Capacity

OP
S

shepherdgirl

For me tiny amounts of psilocybin every few days do something to my breathing where I don’t have to try to breathe deeper.
I have had much slower breathing when I am very relaxed, which doesn't happen too often...

I am stifled by this self inflicted punishment and only feel free when I stop torturing myself in some pursuit of illusive perfection.
I feel the same way. I have some kind of perfectionist/procrastinator mentality. Perhaps my thoughts are my own worst enemies.

Regina

"In true budo, there are no enemies. True budo is a function of love. It is not for killing or fighting but to foster all things and bring them to fruition. Love protects and nourishes life. Without love nothing can be accomplished. Aikido is the manifestation of love."
-Morihei Ueshiba, quoted from Abundant Peace: The Biography of Morihei Ueshiba, founder of Aikido by John Stevens, Shambhala, 1987.
:kiss::darts::hearteyes::clap: Exactly.
We should be practicing with the idea of continuing the art, not attriting the environment. Should be a no-brainer. My first teacher used to call the people who train like that (attriting the environment) as having "champion mind." The champion = end of the road--the finish line.
Thx for the great O'Sensei quote.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
:kiss::darts::hearteyes::clap: Exactly.
We should be practicing with the idea of continuing the art, not attriting the environment. Should be a no-brainer. My first teacher used to call the people who train like that (attriting the environment) as having "champion mind." The champion = end of the road--the finish line.
Thx for the great O'Sensei quote.
Reading this thread is like getting an unexpected present.
At least in my experience, work, school, and even so-called "recreational activities" are pervaded by a sense of aggression and one-upmanship. It is always about getting ahead and becoming the champion, trampling whoever gets in the way. This attitude has been ingrained in me since childhood, and it has caused me horrible stress, and yes it has probably caused overbreathing. I am inspired by true masters like Mr. Ueshiba who do not allow this poison to influence them.
And I thought this thread was going to be about Boring Ol' Lung Capacity!

OP
S

shepherdgirl

And I thought this thread was going to be about Boring Ol' Lung Capacity!
Yeah, so did I, lol! I think this "attriting the environment" that @Regina mentioned is somehow a profound issue for me, causing most of my stress/health issues as well as some kind of vague dissatisfaction with everything.

Lurker

Besides Buteyko and Wim Hof, another breathing guru is world record holding free diver Stig Severinsen. I saw some singing teacher using his methods. I haven’t looked at in a couple years but he seemed like a strange bird but had some serious breath skills. Pretty much everything was behind the paywall so I’m not sure his exact methods but it seemed pranayama based.

https://www.breatheology.com/

Arnold Grape

Never took karate or whatever, but Pregnenolone and Dhea have helped immensely in breathing/ transcending asthma symptoms for me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals