How to increase CO2 at night/relieve stuffy nose at night

Judd Crane

For years I've been having problem with stuffy nose, but only when I lye down in bed. This is something that I've attributed to low CO2 and/or dust mite allergy.

As for ways to increasing CO2 the main recommendations seem to be thiamine or bag breathing. Could these be used at night or would they be expected to cause insomnia?

To clear my nose while sleeping I've been taking one spray of oximetazoline HCL 0,25mg/l in the nostril a the same side that I lye on in bed. I've been thinking of doing intranasal corticoids instead, would that be a lesser evil?

Beastmode

For years I've been having problem with stuffy nose, but only when I lye down in bed. This is something that I've attributed to low CO2 and/or dust mite allergy.

As for ways to increasing CO2 the main recommendations seem to be thiamine or bag breathing. Could these be used at night or would they be expected to cause insomnia?

To clear my nose while sleeping I've been taking one spray of oximetazoline HCL 0,25mg/l in the nostril a the same side that I lye on in bed. I've been thinking of doing intranasal corticoids instead, would that be a lesser evil?
I gave my mom acetazolamide for 2 night straight. Both nights, without prompting her prior to what it does, she reported a clear nose, moist mouth (instead of dry all the time) and deeper sleep. Anecdotal, but an easy way to test out the theory of low CO2 at night.

Also, if you're experiencing this only at night, it would be worth looking at what you're eating in the 2nd half of the day as irritants in the gut can cause this later i the night while sleeping.

Hans

Forum Supporter

For me, eating starches clogged my nose at night. Removing them fixed it.
Alternative to acetazolamide, high dose vitamin B1 will also increase CO2 since it's also a carbonic acid inhibitor.

GTW

I think in many cases it's about nitric oxide generated in the paranasal sinuses. NO is a decongestant bronchodilator. Shut Your Mouth And Save Your Life was the title of George Catlin book 150 years ago. If you breathe through your nose you will be able to continue to breathe through you nose.

Methylene blue, 1 drop before bed.

AnoushF

Alternative to acetazolamide, high dose vitamin B1 will also increase CO2 since it's also a carbonic acid inhibitor.
What kind of B1 do you recommend? I have been taking benfotiamine every day for about 6 months and I can't say I notice any specific benefits. I was contemplating trying allithiamine, but it's also very expensive for possibly making no discernable difference.

Hans

Forum Supporter
What kind of B1 do you recommend? I have been taking benfotiamine every day for about 6 months and I can't say I notice any specific benefits. I was contemplating trying allithiamine, but it's also very expensive for possibly making no discernable difference.
Thiamine hcl is what I use. About 200-300mg. Some people need higher doses like 600mg+.

PaRa

I think in many cases it's about nitric oxide generated in the paranasal sinuses. NO is a decongestant bronchodilator. Shut Your Mouth And Save Your Life was the title of George Catlin book 150 years ago. If you breathe through your nose you will be able to continue to breathe through you nose.
i can relate
forcing nose breathing will help keep it free
both NO and CO2 are great too

Hans

Forum Supporter
Single dose, before bedtime?
Maybe 300mg in the morning and 300mg before bed. I don't know how others take it, but when my nose was congested, I'd take 200-300mg before bed.

Vins7

At no time did you crave carbohydrates when you made the diet change? your body did not ask for starches to feel satiated and warm?

Hans

Forum Supporter
At no time did you crave carbohydrates when you made the diet change? your body did not ask for starches to feel satiated and warm?
Initially, I didn't crave starch, but after a few months, I craved it here and there. Some sometimes I had rice, sometimes something else. But my reactions to starches improved a lot over this time as well. But even if I was without any symptoms when eating starches, I wouldn't eat them on a daily basis just because I don't crave them that often.
And no I never felt cold without them.

Birdie

I tape my mouth at bedtime sometimes. I used to do it every night for years to stop mouth breathing.

On the thiamine, some people find that if they take it later than early afternoon, it bothers their sleep. My husband is like that. He takes it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and second dose around 2 or 3pm. Never with orange juice or coffee.

Beastmode

One thing I've noticed that's really helped me is, of all things, going to bed earlier.

Dr. B

I gave my mom acetazolamide for 2 night straight. Both nights, without prompting her prior to what it does, she reported a clear nose, moist mouth (instead of dry all the time) and deeper sleep. Anecdotal, but an easy way to test out the theory of low CO2 at night.

Also, if you're experiencing this only at night, it would be worth looking at what you're eating in the 2nd half of the day as irritants in the gut can cause this later i the night while sleeping.
thats very interesting that it made the mouth more moist, but the nose was dryer and clearer?
how does it affect the eyes, moisture in the eyes? does it increase tear production/eye moisture?

have you tested out thiamine, like 500mg thiamine hcl?

I tape my mouth at bedtime sometimes. I used to do it every night for years to stop mouth breathing.

On the thiamine, some people find that if they take it later than early afternoon, it bothers their sleep. My husband is like that. He takes it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and second dose around 2 or 3pm. Never with orange juice or coffee.

orange juice itself contains like 0.2mg thiamine per 8oz cup, so shouldnt you be all good if youre using like 500mg thiamine along with the orange juice or milk? its far more than what they naturally contain.

regarding sleeping, would it be useful to wear a cotton mask over both the nose and mouth while sleeping? or sleeping with your entire head and body underneath the blanket? in order to replicate an effect similar to bag breathing, but all night, while sleeping?

Dr. B

some people said that form is toxic and doesnt work like thiamine hcl or allithiamine

Maybe 300mg in the morning and 300mg before bed. I don't know how others take it, but when my nose was congested, I'd take 200-300mg before bed.

can you share effects you got from 300mg thiamine? did it improve temps, improve fat loss... improve gym performance since it reduces lactic acid? why did you stop using it daily?
how does it affect things like histamine levels, other minerals, or methyl groups. does it deplete methyl similar to b3, or does it have any pro histamine like effects...