How to improve nutrient absorption?

ilovethesea

Is there a way to improve how well you absorb nutrients from what you eat/supplement? I assume it's caused by hypo.

I think I have the beginnings of a Ganglion cyst (pea sized) even though I've taken 20+ drops daily of vitamin D for months. I stopped in the month of August because I was spending long hours in the sun every day, and it seemed to even grow a bit during that time.

I feel like I don't absorb vitamin A too well either.

Any suggestions?

messtafarian

It's odd to me how we live in a medical reality where people are, for example, getting their gallbladders cut out right and left and no one seems to care that this kind of thing will fubar the absorption of all the fat-soluble vitamins.

If you think you're not absorbing the fat solubles, then you could try to take your vitamins with extra fat -- for example a piece of cheese, coffee cream, or butter. "Fat soluble" means soluble in fat, and if you don't eat any the delivery system can be unsure of what to do with them.

If you were to ask Peat about this, for example why people who take a ton of vitamin D don't reflect this in their blood panels, he would say that they're eating PUFA, have to stop doing that and potentially also take aspirin to stop the cascade of FFA's in the blood.

Also you could try topical administration. Haidut's estroban, for example, has all the fat soluble vitamins and is topical.

Parsifal

Try to get some blood testing before beign sure that you don't absorb nutrients?

OP
I

ilovethesea

messtafarian said:
post 100350 It's odd to me how we live in a medical reality where people are, for example, getting their gallbladders cut out right and left and no one seems to care that this kind of thing will fubar the absorption of all the fat-soluble vitamins.

If you think you're not absorbing the fat solubles, then you could try to take your vitamins with extra fat -- for example a piece of cheese, coffee cream, or butter. "Fat soluble" means soluble in fat, and if you don't eat any the delivery system can be unsure of what to do with them.

If you were to ask Peat about this, for example why people who take a ton of vitamin D don't reflect this in their blood panels, he would say that they're eating PUFA, have to stop doing that and potentially also take aspirin to stop the cascade of FFA's in the blood.

Also you could try topical administration. Haidut's estroban, for example, has all the fat soluble vitamins and is topical.

That's a good idea. I think I was getting quite a bit of dairy fat in the beginning of this diet but stopped the past few months as I'm trying to lose weight now. I'll try taking them with coconut oil. I haven't had any significant amount of PUFA for over 2 years.

I also take aspirin every night.

I haven't tried anything topically either... what percentage would absorb? Eg. if I take 25,000 IU of A orally, how much of that would I get if I rubbed it on my arm?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
I

ilovethesea

Parsifal said:
post 100355 Try to get some blood testing before beign sure that you don't absorb nutrients?

Is there a vitamin A test?

I know we have to pay $100 for the vitamin D one and I feel like it's not really worth it at this time... last time I had it done I was very low and I know ganglion cysts are a sign of deficiency, so I assume I have some problem.

Nicholas

it's usually primarily an issue of balancing blood sugar and being consistent and patient. i.e. meeting the demands of your body. when the cells are not tense and in an emergency state they can begin to heal the different systems.

messtafarian

I kind of checked around and I think the answer is "some." But -- *enough* so that the A will accumulate to solve a deficiency. Haidut probably knows more about estroban.

tara

ilovethesea said:
post 100473 I haven't tried anything topically either... what percentage would absorb? Eg. if I take 25,000 IU of A orally, how much of that would I get if I rubbed it on my arm?
I think Haidut has said transdermal absorption is typically about 25%. Add a bit of olive oil to help absorption.

LucH

You need a synergy between K3 K2 and D3 if you take more than 400 - 2000 UI vit D3.
For Vit E we'd better take minimum 2 isomeres of tocopherols (at least 80 % alpha and 20 % gamma). Natural.
I take 4 isomeres of tocopherols and tocotrienols.

Interaction between vitamins A D K
http://www.lappart-des-spasmos.fr/forum ... ml#p327383
:hattip
LucH

tara

LucH said:
post 100512 You need a synergy between K3 and D3 if you take more than 400 - 2000 UI vit D3.
K1 and/or K2, not K3, I think?

LucH

tara said:
post 100514
LucH said:
post 100512 You need a synergy between K3 and D3 if you take more than 400 - 2000 UI vit D3.
K1 and/or K2, not K3, I think?
Yes, ,of course, this is K2. Thanks for pointing at this distraction". ;)
Vit K opens the door for vit D. Details on the link above.
Excerpt:
Interactions between vitamins K and D
Whereas vitamins A and D act as hormones, communicating to cells which proteins they should make, vitamin K activates a select group of vitamin K-dependent proteins after they have already been made. Since some of the proteins that vitamin K activates are the very same proteins that cells make in response to signals from vitamins A and D, it would be a serious error of omission to begin a discussion of either our requirements for or the toxicity of vitamin D without first examining its interactions with vitamin K.

LucH

messtafarian said:
post 100513 LucH I am not very smart. What is an isomere?
there are 4 forms / isomeres of tocopherols and 4 isomeres of toctrienols.
An isomere or isomer is the same molecule (same atoms) but arranged spatially differentely, with other functions. e.g. ascorbic acid can be levogyre or destrogyre.
http://www.lappart-des-spasmos.fr/forum ... ml#p306051
Link in French

From Webster: isomer = compound that contains the same number of atoms of the same elements but differ in structural arrangement and properties.

There are 4 forms / isomeres of vitamin E: α, β, γ, δ
alpha, beta, delta, gamma.

Excerpt (translation):
Vitamin E is an antioxidant that has 8 isomers: four tocopherols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) and four tocotrienols (alpha, beta, gamma, delta). Tocopherols are widely used in the Western diet, with high levels in soybean oil (1550 mg / kg, of which 1021 mg of gamma-tocopherol) and corn (1440 mg / kg with 1034 mg of gamma-tocopherol) , tocotrienols are less frequently encountered. The oil which contains the most is palm oil (600 to 700 mg / kg). Tocotrienols are less known and less studied: [highlight=yellow]most supplements that contain vitamin E offer only alpha-tocopherol[/highlight], that is to say only one of the eight isomers that yet have specific properties.

Never buy only alpha tocopherols. Always a mix, e.g. 80 % alpha + 20 % gamma.
Preferebly natural (bioavailability).

a mix of natural tocopherols
Betterlife.com
Kal 45 softgels 11.69 $ (promo 7.14 $) : 400 UI mixed tocopherols
http://www.betterlife.com/product/e-400 ... s/kal/7539

Now 60 softgels 9.99 $ (promo 6.09 $) : 400 UI mixed tocopherols
http://www.betterlife.com/product/1350

*) Liquid forms (to protect oil or home made balm).
Liquamine - Vitamine E liquide 30ml
Solgar - Natural Liquid Vitamin E

Interesting link (in French):
Vitamine E
http://www.lappart-des-spasmos.fr/forum ... 17843.html
- Forme et dosage
http://www.lappart-des-spasmos.fr/forum ... ml#p305018
- Source pour achats (purchase)

messtafarian

Oh I see!

So the shape. *Isomere* meaning the structure of the molecule. In English I think we say *isomer* but to think of these as shapes we don't do, because unfortunately no one has learned Chemistry. We think of most things in names or words.

This might be why Americans typically don't know the difference between the different shapes of Vitamin E :).

Sea

ilovethesea said:
post 105192 Does anyone think my problem might have to do with my liver?

I am starting to wonder if I need to fix that first.... could a weak fatty liver impair the ability to absorb fat soluble vitamins?

I've had elevated liver enzymes in the past, and many of the symptoms listed here. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sluggish ... ptoms.html

You just need to raise your temp and pulse rate. Caffeine is something to consider increasing your dosage of. You can take fat soluble vitamins topically, and when you are hypothyroid you don't have a high need for them or any nutrient really, you just need more calories and supplements like caffeine that increase your metabolic rate.

Peata

ilovethesea said:
post 100219 Is there a way to improve how well you absorb nutrients from what you eat/supplement? I assume it's caused by hypo.

I think I have the beginnings of a Ganglion cyst (pea sized) even though I've taken 20+ drops daily of vitamin D for months. I stopped in the month of August because I was spending long hours in the sun every day, and it seemed to even grow a bit during that time.

I feel like I don't absorb vitamin A too well either.

Any suggestions?

Do you still have the cyst or did you find a way to treat it? I think that's what I developed today and I'm looking for reasons for it and how to treat it. I hope yours is better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals