How To Improve Insulin Sensitivity The Right Way

JKX

I enjoy your articles Hans.

There's a small typo in section #3. Sleeping -> speeding?

Apologies for the pedant in me.

Frankdee20

Please someone describe the difference between resistance and sensitivity for me ? Thank you

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I enjoy your articles Hans.

There's a small typo in section #3. Sleeping -> speeding?

Apologies for the pedant in me.
Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out. Now I know who pays attention. :)

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Please someone describe the difference between resistance and sensitivity for me ? Thank you
Let's take for example lipolysis and use a simple scale of 10. 10 units of insulin is needed to shut down lipolysis from 10 to 0. If insulin is 0, then lipolysis is 10.
If the tissue is insulin resistance, 8 units of insulin might be needed to shut lipolysis down to 5. The tissue needs more insulin to actually do what's needed. So insulin production is increased. It's like getting a bigger and bigger hammer for the same small nail.
If insulin sensitivity improves, less insulin is needed to shut down lipolysis.
This counts for all the actions of insulin, not just lipolysis ofc.

belcanto

What a gorgeous article. I took lots of notes - I'm glad to see I already use a lot of things you mention just from studying Ray. Thanks for posting.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What a gorgeous article. I took lots of notes - I'm glad to see I already use a lot of things you mention just from studying Ray. Thanks for posting.
Glad you liked it.:hattip

Vinny

Bart1

@Hans great article, thanks for this! One question though

never heard about the anti serotonin properties of cat’s claw! So it looks like it’s a great supplement to reduce serotonin? Are there any negative sides, is it estrogenic? Could one use it long? Better to try this first then cypro for instance?

Tarmander

If you had to pick 2 substances from this article to lower insulin resistance long term and you could never pick any other substances. What would you pick?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans great article, thanks for this! One question though

never heard about the anti serotonin properties of cat’s claw! So it looks like it’s a great supplement to reduce serotonin? Are there any negative sides, is it estrogenic? Could one use it long? Better to try this first then cypro for instance?
It might be a good supplement to lower estrogen, but the evidence is only in vitro yet. I haven't found reliable evidence that it's estrogenic or not. I'm sure one can use it long term. You can definitely try it before trying cypro and see how the two compares.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
If you had to pick 2 substances from this article to lower insulin resistance long term and you could never pick any other substances. What would you pick?
If someone's diet and lifestyle are in check, then no supplements might be needed. For general metabolism and stress resilience, I'd probably go with either pregnenolone or progesterone and thyroid.

Tarmander

If someone's diet and lifestyle are in check, then no supplements might be needed. For general metabolism and stress resilience, I'd probably go with either pregnenolone or progesterone and thyroid.
Wow interesting.

I have tried pregnenolone and Thyroid, both of which did not improve insulin sensitivity in me. Never tried Progesterone.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Wow interesting.

I have tried pregnenolone and Thyroid, both of which did not improve insulin sensitivity in me. Never tried Progesterone.
I'd say the preg, prog and thyroid can help someone get out of a rut if diet and lifestyle is in order.
Everyone's 2 supplements would be different, based on what they need.

Bart1

It might be a good supplement to lower estrogen, but the evidence is only in vitro yet. I haven't found reliable evidence that it's estrogenic or not. I'm sure one can use it long term. You can definitely try it before trying cypro and see how the two compares.
Thanks, will do!